Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think we need to pitch a trade that isn’t made up of assets we are ready to toss out anyways (olofsson, UPL, Portillo, Johnson). If they want any of them, sure. But that’s an assumption.

I think it would take a protected first. An interesting prospect that borders on the value of a first or early second. And then a pair of B level assets (a second and our many forward prospects not drafted in the first)

So something like a protected first, second, a b level forward they want and something that hurts….like a Rosen/krebs/kulich/ostlund. It’s that last part I’m worried about

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I just do not see what Vancouver's reason to move him would be without getting a potential #1+ in the deal.

I think the three forwards are way more likely to move than Demko. But, we shall see.

It’s all based on the assumption they are rebuilding and want to move him

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It’s all based on the assumption they are rebuilding and want to move him
Even if they are rebuilding, they need a #1 goalie. Demko is the only guy that they have today that has the potential to be an NHL #1 in 24-25.

If they move Demko, I would be shocked if it did not get them a goalie prospect back that has that kind of potential. It's not like they have a guy like Wolf in the AHL like the Flames have, for instance.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They are giving up a guy that has Vezina finalist potential who is locked up through 25-26.

They are getting back UPL who has not looked good in the NHL yet, Portillo who likely walks as a UFA this summer, VO who is a UFA after next year, Krebs who is a potential middle six forward, and a pick that with that protection is likely a '24 1st.

Oh and they are also giving up Garland who is locked up a lot longer than VO.

That is brutal for Vancouver as it makes them worse this year and doesn't add enough for the future given how long Demko and Garland are under contract.

If they do a full re-boot, they're not re-signing Horvat. There's gotta be a team out there who could give up a solid goalie prospect in a package for Horvat.
If that is the road they are going down, I would expect them to have that goalie prospect in hand before moving Demko without a goalie coming back.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
You're talking logically. I'm never one to assume that NHL GMs do things logically.

I think demanding a certain position prospect when you’re trading away a player like Demko in a rebuild is actually a bit narrow-thinking. Teams should focus on value, not positions. It’s like demanding a center in return for eichel. Why do that when you can just draft that type of prospect during the rebuild.

It’s also weird asset management as you can get a really good skating prospect for Demko that is much more of a sure thing than a goalie prospect. If I’m rebuilding and trading away Demko, I’m getting good forward or defensive prospects. And then just drafting goalies with my many picks I accumulate.

Focusing in on a top goalie prospect is a good way to come up with nothing. They are just too voodoo

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think demanding a certain position prospect when you’re trading away a player like Demko in a rebuild is actually a bit narrow-thinking. Teams should focus on value, not positions. It’s like demanding a center in return for eichel. Why do that when you can just draft that type of prospect during the rebuild.

It’s also weird asset management as you can get a really good skating prospect for Demko that is much more of a sure thing than a goalie prospect. If I’m rebuilding and trading away Demko, I’m getting good forward or defensive prospects. And then just drafting goalies with my many picks I accumulate.

Focusing in on a top goalie prospect is a good way to come up with nothing. They are just too voodoo
That is a great way to be terrible for a decade.

They can't afford to move Demko because they have so little in net coming up behind him because they haven't invested in the position because they already had Demko.

Reactions: Bendium

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
His agent? It seems Wild had just trade McBain to Arizona for 2nd and prior to the trade, he or his agents spoke to Arizona about signing.
NCAA players arent allowed to have a hired agent, they have the "family advisors".

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
That is a great way to be terrible for a decade.

They can't afford to move Demko because they have so little in net coming up behind him because they haven't invested in the position because they already had Demko.

If you are rebuilding, can you explain to me why the goalie prospect Vancouver gets HAS TO come from the trade where they give up their goalie? Rather than any of the other trades they make or from any of the draft picks they are going to make. Because, that’s what you’re saying

If buffalo wants Demko the most , and is willing to give up the best package, that’s the trade Vancouver should do. They shouldn’t narrow it teams willing to give up goalie prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Two good pictures to show new goaltending styles. Levi is using a technique called "downward tracking" in this picture. You can see him bringing his upper body forward into the shot, and bringing his glove forward to the puck. No more windmills or side saves.

This technique cuts down on angles, and more importantly, allows the goalie to better control rebounds from getting away from him to a side angle.

This photo shows Levi using the new butterfly technique. If you look at his right leg, his knee is underneath him and he still has control of his body from his right side. He extends his left leg to the puck. After the save, this technique enhances his ability to stand back up.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
NCAA players arent allowed to have a hired agent, they have the "family advisors".
Well, maybe a family advisor, I don't know. I only know that he agreed with Arizona to sign before trade.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Are the Flyers going to blow it up? They're looking like they might need a top to bottom rebuild. If they fire Fletcher, there might be a fire sale. If so, then maybe Hart becomes available.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Are the Flyers going to blow it up? They're looking like they might need a top to bottom rebuild. If they fire Fletcher, there might be a fire sale. If so, then maybe Hart becomes available.
Probably will cost no less than Demko, if not more.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I try not to pay attention to Philly. Is Hart back to looking like a legit NHL starter? Or is he still struggling?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If you are rebuilding, can you explain to me why the goalie prospect Vancouver gets HAS TO come from the trade where they give up their goalie? Rather than any of the other trades they make or from any of the draft picks they are going to make. Because, that’s what you’re saying

If buffalo wants Demko the most , and is willing to give up the best package, that’s the trade Vancouver should do. They shouldn’t narrow it teams willing to give up goalie prospects.
They don’t have to do anything. But, the Sabres chasing goaltending at this point in their build is why a team starting a rebuild by moving a guy like Demko with a bare cupboard of goalies and talking to a team with a top 5 goalie prospect would be pretty dumb if they didn’t hold out for Levi.

It would have been like the Sabres making the Eichel trade with Vegas without Tuch being in the package.

If they move Demko without getting a good goalie prospect back, they will be chasing one for a while.

Even if they do blow it up, Hart is too young to trade IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad