Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Sure, but that's not really the style. The Hasek and Thomas styles were basically stop the puck at all costs, any way you can. That's difficult thing to teach. There's a reason only two goalies in the past 30 years played like them.

It’s like trying to teaching someone to play like Josh Allen. Sure, you can teach the ingredients…but you aren’t going to play like Allen

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Dahlin pumping tires -

“He brings such a calm,” defenseman Rasmus Dahlin said. “If we do our job he’s going to do his job.”

Found this interesting -

Only two goalies younger than 23 have started games in the NHL this season. Luukkonen is one of four 23-year-olds to get NHL playing time. Some goalies like Jake Oettinger, Carter Hart and Jeremy Swayman have already proven themselves at the NHL level at 24 years old. Spencer Knight has shown rare results at 21, but it’s a position that trends older. Of the 10 goalies who have played the most games this season, only Hart is under the age of 27. Of goalies who have played at least 10 games this season, only five are under 25 years old.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Demko is the one goalie that I personally would overpay for.

He's a damned good goalie who should be revitalized playing for us. Term and AAV allow us to slow cook Levi and aren't unmoveable if/when Levi claims the net.
If I were Vancouver and Buffalo called on Demko, I would require that Levi be in the package along with an unportected '23 1st.

And Demko is unlikely to be revitalized by a trade to Buffalo. Only getting healthy will revitalize Demko at this point. And a move here does not improve the defensive play in front of him. So, I would not expect a trade to help his play.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If I were Vancouver and Buffalo called on Demko, I would require that Levi be in the package along with an unportected '23 1st.

And Demko is unlikely to be revitalized by a trade to Buffalo. Only getting healthy will revitalize Demko at this point. And a move here does not improve the defensive play in front of him. So, I would not expect a trade to help his play.

They can ask, but I dont think they are getting a first and a blue chip goalie prospect from anyone

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They can ask, but I dont think they are getting a first and a blue chip goalie prospect from anyone
They have zero reason to move him for less than overpay. Especially in this goalie market.

The LA Kings reportedly are interested which makes sense with Quick up after this year and Petersen being a mess.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
They have zero reason to move him for less than overpay. Especially in this goalie market.

The LA Kings reportedly are interested which makes sense with Quick up after this year and Petersen being a mess.

Agreed, but we can overpay without including a blue chip prospect. We have a deep and very good prospect pool

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So the unlikely of Demko being available makes me wonder if that could be worked out somehow? @Jim Bob were you the one who expressed concerns about Demko's hips or am I just misremembering something attributed more to Gibson?
Demko has had hip issues earlier in his career. It sounds similar to Ullmark & UPL.

But, I am not sure I would be too worried about that as it seems the offseason procedure was a knee surgery.

Now if the current LB injury is on that same knee...

This is an interesting piece with this tidbit:

What’s wrong with Demko? How can the Canucks help him get back on track?

I watched every single one of the 44 goals Demko’s surrendered this season. Right off the bat, it was fascinating that 16 of them (36 percent) were preceded by a cross-seam pass, the most dangerous passing play in hockey. An additional six goals came off rebounds he didn’t have much of a chance on. That means half of all the goals he’s allowed were either preceded by an east-west seam pass or directly off a rebound where his defenders didn’t adequately box out or clear the puck.
And this stuff from ClearSight Analytics is why I want someone to talk to Woody about the Sabres:

“He has one of the lowest expected save percentages in the league (according to Clear Sight Analytics) which is an indication of environment and how tough these chances are,” said InGoal Magazine’s Vancouver-based goalie expert Kevin Woodley. “And yet some of the other guys that are down there with him, like you can still outperform that environment. (Andrei) Vasilevskiy’s in a similar neighbourhood as far as expected save percentage, so is Jake Allen and they’re both well above expected. Even Juuse Saros who’s struggled this year has a slightly lower expected save percentage (than Demko), but he’s actually performing slightly above it. Marc-Andre Fleury is lower (by expected save percentage than Demko) and performing above it.”

Gibson was more about how open he was to adapting his game like Murray has had to do over the past few years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
An interesting tidbit from Fairbern's article today:

“It’s cool to see how much he talks to the players,” Luukkonen said. “I’m probably not in that position yet to tell the d-men what to do, but it’s cool to see how much he can affect the game not only from saving pucks and making the saves but other areas of the game, how he sees the whole thing from the net. It’s really cool to see.”

We know Anderson is facing a lower volume of HDCA on the PK and it is likely in part because UPL has gotten some murderous PP teams and also that Andy is directing traffic more than UPL is/does at this point.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agreed, but we can overpay without including a blue chip prospect. We have a deep and very good prospect pool
If Vancouver moves Demko, they need to get a goalie that has a shot at being an NHL #1 since their pipeline is really thin right now.

Silovs has not looked good in the AHL since coming over last year.

Thiessen could walk as a UFA this summer like Portillo.

And then all they have left is Koskenvuo who has not gotten off to a good start at Harvard and Ty Young who is not lighting up the WHL.

I just do not see how you get them to give up Demko without giving up a premium that includes Levi.

:dunno:

We know Anderson is facing a lower volume of HDCA on the PK and it is likely in part because UPL has gotten some murderous PP teams and also that Andy is directing traffic more than UPL is/does at this point.
Goalies that act as air traffic controllers in their own ends can make things a lot easier.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This was an interesting article.

I don't see it happening, but what about Portillo, Buf or Philly 2nd, + ?
They already have one NCAA goalie that can opt for UFA this summer in Thiessen. I doubt they want another one.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I just do not see how you get them to give up Demko without giving up a premium that includes Levi.
Portillo and have him talk to Canucks about signing before the trade. Levi is certainly more valuable than Portillo, but we could add in other positions/picks. You are too pessimistic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Vancouver moves Demko, they need to get a goalie that has a shot at being an NHL #1 since their pipeline is really thin right now.

Silovs has not looked good in the AHL since coming over last year.

Thiessen could walk as a UFA this summer like Portillo.

And then all they have left is Koskenvuo who has not gotten off to a good start at Harvard and Ty Young who is not lighting up the WHL.

:dunno:

Goalies that act as air traffic controllers in their own ends can make things a lot easier.

Levi in a package would be a hard no from me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Portillo and have him talk to Canucks about signing before the trade. Levi is certainly more valuable than Portillo, but we could add in other positions/picks. You are too pessimistic.
You call it pessimistic and I call it being realistic.

There were people that said I was being pessimistic when I said that there was no way the Jets were moving Helley over the summer...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Also, appreciate that you did the dig on the Canucks' goalie depth there @Jim Bob . Dealing Demko and righting Martin would make for a puckeringly thin situation for Vancouver which MAYBE works if they are trying to really go hard for Bedard (and 2024 highend guys too). That's potentially gutting.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

There were people that said I was being pessimistic when I said that there was no way the Jets were moving Helley over the summer...
Well, I didn't seem to say that, it's just that you are too pessimistic about many trades.

We all did some kind of trade for Helly for fun, in case the Jets were rebuild (hard to believe) and Helly was available.

Here Vancouver is in a more precarious position, almost any player seems available. Friedman talks about Demko being traded. I think these are different situation.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

If they're going for a full-on reboot......I think they'll be open to a package that includes Portillo (who will have a clear shot to the crease soon in Vancouver so it's more than likely he'll sign there) and other futures. Hell, if they need a younger goalie for NOW, throw UPL in there too. He still has upside.

If they're looking to re-tool and kinda rearrange deck chairs (which is their history), then I agree we make poor trading partners unless they think of UPL very, very highly. (or that Portillo is NHL-ready next year)

I also highly agree that Levi is an absolute no-go in any Demko trade.

Reactions: Fjordy

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Technically Portillo can't talk to them because NCAA

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If they're going for a full-on reboot......I think they'll be open to a package that includes Portillo (who will have a clear shot to the crease soon in Vancouver so it's more than likely he'll sign there) and other futures. Hell, if they need a younger goalie for NOW, throw UPL in there too. He still has upside.

If they're looking to re-tool and kinda rearrange deck chairs (which is their history), then I agree we make poor trading partners unless they think of UPL very, very highly. (or that Portillo is NHL-ready next year)

I also highly agree that Levi is an absolute no-go in any Demko trade.
Krebs
Olofsson
Portillio
UPL
2023 1st top 10 protected

for

Demko
Garland

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

The whole topic is based on if Vancouver decides to move Demko. If he’s not on the block, then I don’t see Vancouver’s reason to move Demko without getting Levi back. That I agree with

But if they want to move him, I don’t see them getting a Levi-level goalie prospect. There’s barely any of them and I don’t see them being dealt. If they are looking to move him, then we can overpay without giving him up. Vancouver could get a haul and get goalie prospects elsewhere

Who else would even be looking for a goalie that has a blue chip goalie prospect? Minny with wallstedt? Red wings with Cossa? Blackhawks with commesso? I don’t see those trades happening, which brings us back to if Vancouver actually wants to trade Demko or not

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Technically Portillo can't talk to them because NCAA
His agent? It seems Wild had just trade McBain to Arizona for 2nd and prior to the trade, he or his agents spoke to Arizona about signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00