Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Finally with a moment to expand on the only thing I didn't see earlier - work and dinner got in the way: With the volatility of the position, why would they want to move Levi while they still have years of control? If Levi is good and UPL is good, there isn't a rush to shift either until contract or cap forces that to happen. We've already seen the pitfalls of a team with a goalie have reversals - hell, we don't know for sure that this will necessarily continue for Luukkonen beyond this solid stretch.

FFS, if they can get to the point they have 2 NHL caliber goalies, that's great. That would be a most welcome change.

What is it with this fanbase and thinking one guy is all it takes to do any particular job...

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Finally with a moment to expand on the only thing I didn't see earlier - work and dinner got in the way: With the volatility of the position, why would they want to move Levi while they still have years of control? If Levi is good and UPL is good, there isn't a rush to shift either until contract or cap forces that to happen. We've already seen the pitfalls of a team with a goalie have reversals - hell, we don't know for sure that this will necessarily continue for Luukkonen beyond this solid stretch.

FFS, if they can get to the point they have 2 NHL caliber goalies, that's great. That would be a most welcome change.

What is it with this fanbase and thinking one guy is all it takes to do any particular job...
The Boston model is so appealing if you can make it happen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Boston model is so appealing if you can make it happen.

Indeed. Last year, Ullmark carried the mail. This year, it's Swayman. They aren't left trying to figure out how to get a goalie like Toronto or Edmonton or even Carolina. Ride that out. There is ZERO need to move someone in such a short timeline as the end of next season.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'd call up Levi for Sunday's game

Give UPL the day off. He has been playing a LOT. He needs a day off. Let's not play UPL and make him drop. He's not used to this workload.

Cannot start Comrie

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Comrie was fine in his last start
no, he was not.

He was himself. No bad goals, but few big saves. Yet another sub .900 SP game That's not NHL level goaltending

Levi and UPL are both 2 games over .500. Comrie 5 games under. 5. If he were just .500, we'd be in a much better spot to make a playoff run. SP far far below the other two

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
I'd call up Levi for Sunday's game

Give UPL the day off. He has been playing a LOT. He needs a day off. Let's not play UPL and make him drop. He's not used to this workload.

Cannot start Comrie
No and No

No No.1 -- I am attending Saturday's Rochester at Hershey game. Levi didn't dress tonight in Rochester. That leads me to believe he will play Saturday, and I want to see him against the AHL's best team. And if Levi plays Saturday, there's no way he's back in Buffalo on Sunday (bar injuries and/or illness).

No No.2 -- Luukkonen is playing suberbly, and showing no signs of wear. If he was regularly facing 40-50 shots a night with dreadful defense in front of him, then yes, give him a breather.

RoyalOverNavy

Feb 25, 2023
Sample Size = big enough (now)

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is a shootout winner.
I've long thought he's a legtimately good NHL goalie.
This proves it.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
UPL now 8th overall in GAA

Last 5 games
Luukkonen 4 wins 1 loss 1.81 GAA and .934 Save percentage.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
¡Viva Benito!

Edit: Wrong thread, my phone is messed up. However I shall leave this up in celebration of this glorious victory for the great Giraffe Rebellion.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Wheeler always undervalues the short goalies.

Capture.PNG

Having Levi and Wolf in the same tier as Cossa and just ahead of him....

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Wheeler always undervalues the short goalies.

View attachment 829674

Having Levi and Wolf in the same tier as Cossa and just ahead of him....

Cossa couldn't get out of his own way last year but he's working through it at the AHL level this season. But still... 7th? Eh. That seems like draft history influence to me.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
UPL is playing well, and I'm glad Adams has Levi in Rochester. Let UPL take command of the Buffalo net and Levi should be back in Rochester next season.

UPL has finally figured solved his under- and over-rotation problem, as well as his tendency to over slide. He's also transitioned from a classic Scandanavian butterfly, RVH goalie to playing on his toes and moving on his skates. If you're not familiar with the techniques, that simple transition can take about a year to master. UPL did it mostly in the NHL.

Levi already plays the new style, but I'd let him continue to develop in Rochester for another year. Then bring him up around now next season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
UPL is playing well, and I'm glad Adams has Levi in Rochester. Let UPL take command of the Buffalo net and Levi should be back in Rochester next season.

UPL has finally figured solved his under- and over-rotation problem, as well as his tendency to over slide. He's also transitioned from a classic Scandanavian butterfly, RVH goalie to playing on his toes and moving on his skates. If you're not familiar with the techniques, that simple transition can take about a year to master. UPL did it mostly in the NHL.

Levi already plays the new style, but I'd let him continue to develop in Rochester for another year. Then bring him up around now next season.
I would love MAF on a one year deal to give Levi another year in Rochester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad