Player Discussion All Purpose Goaltending Thread

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Has anyone been following Ratzlaff at all. I know his numbers are down, but he's on one of the worst teams in the WHL. Probably let him bake 1 more year in junior and then bring him up to Rochester in 2025-2026?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Has anyone been following Ratzlaff at all. I know his numbers are down, but he's on one of the worst teams in the WHL. Probably let him bake 1 more year in junior and then bring him up to Rochester in 2025-2026?

He's still only 19 so he's not even eligible for the AHL until after another full year in the WHL so that seems likely. Seattle went for it last year and this current team is a reflection of having graduated a lot of key personnel.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm curious what people think the plan is for next year and what it should be

My "Guess" is the plan to run with UPL/Levi.

The plan should be:

UPL/Vet with Levi in the AHL. Levi will get NHL time as injuries are going to happen. Also, let's not forget that goalies are magic and voodoo and this years performance by UPL by no means guarantees him being a top tier NHL goalie next year.

But what you don't want is a situation of Levi/AHL Goalie being your top 2 if UPL goes down for an extended stretch.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm curious what people think the plan is for next year and what it should be

My "Guess" is the plan to run with UPL/Levi.

The plan should be:

UPL/Vet with Levi in the AHL. Levi will get NHL time as injuries are going to happen. Also, let's not forget that goalies are magic and voodoo and this years performance by UPL by no means guarantees him being a top tier NHL goalie next year.

But what you don't want is a situation of Levi/AHL Goalie being your top 2 if UPL goes down for an extended stretch.
The way the organization did their very best to force Levi into a starter role and almost flat out rejected UPL for the 1st couple months, I would be completely shocked if Levi stayed in Rochester for next season. Who cares about what the right plan is, Levi will be in Buffalo.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
1710955109409.jpeg

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The future UPL vs Levi debates are going to be like Miller vs Biron vs Noronen on crack. Very, very good problem to have, especially considering how I felt about the position going into the season.

People could learn from the Swayman-Ullmark tandem.

I mean, I think we have a pretty clear path here. A few things to consider:

1. Levi is a 10.2 RFA next year. Meaning, no offersheets, no arbitration, no leverage.
2. UPL has earned the starting job next year and a nice contract...but he hasn't earned any long term commitment.

The plan SHOULD be pretty cut and dry.

FIrst, you get UPL signed. 3-4 years. Probably in the 4-5M range. A solid, good starters contract. No trade protection other than maybe a 10 team no trade list in the last year.

You sit down Levi and explain to him that UPL is going to be the NHL starter to start next year and he is going to start in Rochester, but the team will get him into the NHL at every opportunity and worse case scenario, he will be the 1B with UPL in 25-26. But he needs more professional starts. And that if UPL struggles, he will get an opportunity to earn the starters or a tandem role in Buffalo.

You go and sign a veteran backup goalie or take one on via trade.

Next summer, you re-evaluate, hoping to emulate Swayman/Ullmark, but obviously UPL/Levi's play is really going to dictate what you do.

UPLs emergence and Levi's lack of bargaining power gives us opportunities to slow walk this a bit rather than shove either in a bad situation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That's also what Appert said yesterday on his weekly bit on 95.7. They only have the four recalls so I would expect Levi goes back down after that start to help the Amerks and it leaves Luukkonen as the guy for the remainder of their games, perhaps with Comrie getting action once the mathematical elimination happens.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln