All-purpose goaltending thread II - all Hutch/Pav talk here [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
My opinion, and the opinion of the organization it seems.

Huh?
Its a pretty weak argument.

You say he's not ready because the team hasn't buried Pavs in the AHL?

The organization might think he's ready but with no injuries to our goalies there has been no opportunity to call him up.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Huh?
Its a pretty weak argument.

You say he's not ready because the team hasn't buried Pavs in the AHL?

The organization might think he's ready but with no injuries to our goalies there has been no opportunity to call him up.

Then when you consider how notoriously bad ALL NHL GM's have proven in evaluating goaltending talent (in particular the Jets coughPaveleccough) it makes that point even less relevant.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So Pavelec hasn't beaten a playoff calibre team in 4 months. His last win was November 4, 2014 against the Predators. The closest he came was beating the Senators who are 20th in the league standings.

Derfel*

So Pavelec hasn't beaten a playoff calibre team in 4 months. His last win was November 4, 2014 against the Predators. The closest he came was beating the Senators who are 20th in the league standings.

He hasn't started in how many games? You can't keep quoting that stat unless he's played, really. I mean it's a valid point, but I'm not sure what you expect him to do if he hasn't played in 2 weeks other than in relief against said 20th place team.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He hasn't started in how many games? You can't keep quoting that stat unless he's played, really. I mean it's a valid point, but I'm not sure what you expect him to do if he hasn't played in 2 weeks other than in relief against said 20th place team.

Pavelec record against playoff calibre teams since November 4:

OL vs Pittsburgh 4-3
L vs Nashville 2-1
L vs Montreal 3-0
OL vs Minnesota 4-3
L vs Detroit 4-3
L vs St.Louis 4-2
OL vs Anaheim 4-3
L vs NY Islanders 5-2
OL vs Anaheim 5-4
L vs Pittsburgh 5-3
L vs Calgary 5-2
OL vs Vancouver 3-2
L vs Nashville 3-1
L vs Washington 5-1

Record since Nov.4: 0-9-4 (against playoff caliber teams)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

OL vs Pittsburgh 4-3
L vs Nashville 2-1
L vs Montreal 3-0
OL vs Minnesota 4-3
L vs Detroit 4-3
L vs St.Louis 4-2
OL vs Anaheim 4-3
L vs NY Islanders 5-2
OL vs Anaheim 5-4
L vs Pittsburgh 5-3
L vs Calgary 5-2
OL vs Vancouver 3-2
L vs Nashville 3-1
L vs Washington 5-1

I just threw up in my mouth...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

OL vs Pittsburgh 4-3
L vs Nashville 2-1
L vs Montreal 3-0
OL vs Minnesota 4-3
L vs Detroit 4-3
L vs St.Louis 4-2
OL vs Anaheim 4-3
L vs NY Islanders 5-2
OL vs Anaheim 5-4
L vs Pittsburgh 5-3
L vs Calgary 5-2
OL vs Vancouver 3-2
L vs Nashville 3-1
L vs Washington 5-1

Yup. I think I remember that someone suggested in a game a while ago that Hutch could end up costing us a playoff spot because of a late goal that cost us overtime which we lost. 1 point instead of 2 in that game. Oh, but 4 points out of 26 doesn't cost us the playoffs.

Derfel*

OL vs Pittsburgh 4-3
L vs Nashville 2-1
L vs Montreal 3-0
OL vs Minnesota 4-3
L vs Detroit 4-3
L vs St.Louis 4-2
OL vs Anaheim 4-3
L vs NY Islanders 5-2
OL vs Anaheim 5-4
L vs Pittsburgh 5-3
L vs Calgary 5-2
OL vs Vancouver 3-2
L vs Nashville 3-1
L vs Washington 5-1

Again - not a lot of opportunity since the Washington game, right? I'm not saying that's a good record at all, but what point is there in stating it tonight when Hutchinson played?

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
Again - not a lot of opportunity since the Washington game, right? I'm not saying that's a good record at all, but what point is there in stating it tonight when Hutchinson played?

There wouldn't be a point if we didn't have posts tearing apart the goalie who was the #1 factor in putting this team into playoff position every time he fails to remain flawless and if we didn't have posts pumping the tires of the goalie who cost us the playoffs four straight seasons. Posts like that are the reason we see so much goalie vs goalie fighting here and so much flack towards Pavs.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
And here are the graphics after the March 7th game. First the running total SV% for the entire season...

onO4w95.png

The running stats after both goalies initial hot streaks at the start of the season...

eH7QTty.png

And their goals-allowed-per-appearance histograms...

KBQYvtg.png

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm guessing Hutch gets the next start. Only goal he let in hit a couple Jets.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014

OL vs Pittsburgh 4-3
L vs Nashville 2-1
L vs Montreal 3-0
OL vs Minnesota 4-3
L vs Detroit 4-3
L vs St.Louis 4-2
OL vs Anaheim 4-3
L vs NY Islanders 5-2
OL vs Anaheim 5-4
L vs Pittsburgh 5-3
L vs Calgary 5-2
OL vs Vancouver 3-2
L vs Nashville 3-1
L vs Washington 5-1

You look back at all those lost points and it's so depressing. All because Maurice stuck with that rotation. Surely Hutchinson would have got more than four points out of that.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport

With that record he hasn't deserved any more opportunity, and the Jets have shown they can be good or bad with either guy in net. I sometimes wonder if you believe your arguments or are just playing Devil's Advocate?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

OL vs Pittsburgh 4-3
L vs Nashville 2-1
L vs Montreal 3-0
OL vs Minnesota 4-3
L vs Detroit 4-3
L vs St.Louis 4-2
OL vs Anaheim 4-3
L vs NY Islanders 5-2
OL vs Anaheim 5-4
L vs Pittsburgh 5-3
L vs Calgary 5-2
OL vs Vancouver 3-2
L vs Nashville 3-1
L vs Washington 5-1

Exactly my point... He can beat the bottom feeders... He is 9-1-3 against the worst 8 teams he played (COL/PHI/DAL/NJD/CAR/ARI/EDM/BUF)

White Out 403*

Yeah - keep playing Hutch while he's hot. You have a 0.910 goalie to fall back on if needed. We seem to be in a good position there for the next dozen games.

Wanted to reply to this post in the goaltender thread, its from last nights PGT.

This is a false premise and also is part of a false narrative, on purpose I would wager.

First, Pavelec is 909 this year. Not 910.

Second, Pavelec is 906 career. Not 910.

Third, the only reason Pavelec hasn't regressed this season to below 906 already is because Hutchinson has won the starting job from him, and relegated Pavelec to what he should have been last 2 years: an overpaid backup. Look at Pavelecs save % on a graph and there's plenty of evidence had Pavelec had to play 60+ games this year he'd be slumming it up on page 3 of goaltenders stats again on NHL.com. I mean, christ sake, I haven't done the math but 20 of his last starts this year he has to be below 900 right?

We are in a good position not because of Pavelec, but because of our skaters and Hutchinson. Period. Buy this guy out in the off season or find some sucker team to trade him too.

Derfel*

With that record he hasn't deserved any more opportunity, and the Jets have shown they can be good or bad with either guy in net. I sometimes wonder if you believe your arguments or are just playing Devil's Advocate?

Like I said - it's not a great record. But what purpose does it serve re-posting it for the 3rd time when Pavelec hasn't played in two weeks?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Like I said - it's not a great record. But what purpose does it serve re-posting it for the 3rd time when Pavelec hasn't played in two weeks?

We have a fairly heavy schedule of games coming up against teams over the playoff line. Pavelec's record is what it is - the numbers aren't pretty when playing teams above the line, and it's perfectly valid to note this. His frequency of play as of late doesn't diminish the validity of the poor record.

Should the Jets be giving him the chance to improve on that record to potentially 'redeem' himself, or should we be concentrating on earning as many points as possible?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Yes you can say it isn't fair because Pavs hasn't been given the chance to play, but the biggest statement from the team is the fact that he hasn't played. Forget who Pavs has played against.. forget the stats....

The clearest, most important message is that he isn't playing. The fact that he can't get into a game tells everyone what they need to know about Pavelec.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm guessing Hutch gets the next start. Only goal he let in hit a couple Jets.

Really there is no reason for Hutch not to get the majority of starts down the stretch. With the rotation most of the season Hutch should be pretty fresh and can easily handle the workload. We have 2 more B2B left. Letting Pavs split those should be plenty. We need the best goalie in the net each and every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad