OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
the city owns them? Why don't they fix their stadium situation? Dumb story.
The verb was used figuratively, hence the quotes around it.

Furthermore, they have already built one. The state of FLA has no interest in spending public money on sporting venues. It never has. The Rays are never going to get another publically funded park while in FLA.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Rays + Expos = Rexpos.

Will be shortened to “Rex.”

Go here Rex, go fetch yourself 2 homestands in Montreal this week. Rex, good boy!!!

Now Rex, look there, a home stand in Tampa next month! Go get it! That’s a good boy!

Who loves you, Rex? Who loves you? Nobody, that’s who. You have no real home anymore. Have fun chasing cars.

The only appealing thing about this to players is they can hide a mistress. lol

Reactions: Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
How do you know this? MLB voted to contract Twins back in 2002 yet were told they cannot and must play there.

ESPN.com: MLB - Court decision puts Twins contraction in question

Depending on how Tampa's Use Agreement is worded, city may have a lot to say.
It was actually posted somewhere (most of it) a few years back. I can no longer find it, and I tried, but my recollection has the Rays completely bent over. The wording is vague enough that the city can nitpick as much as they want and take the ownership to court on many accounts.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not really the same leverage. Tampa current owners have lucrative redevelopment rights tied to the agreement. Unless Bronfman is willing to compensate the city and current owners for breach of agreement and those rights this is not going to happen.

I believe by splitting games current owners wanted to retain those RE rights and be within use agreement (maybe with some penalties). If city is not willing to negotiate this will be a very long shot.

One similarity is current owner alienating fan base.

If the Rays’s current owners are granted an ownership stake in the Expos, they can be swayed. The city’s rights can be bought out. MLB’s two city solution is obviously to force Tampa’s hand while whittling down as much of the remaining lease years and then buy out the lease when the penalty becomes more affordable.

I wouldn’t be too hung up on RE rights and penalties. When the time is ripe, everything will be bought out. Just a matter of price at that point. We’ve seen Alamo type corporate and city stands many times. They never win.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
It was actually posted somewhere (most of it) a few years back. I can no longer find it, and I tried, but my recollection has the Rays completely bent over. The wording is vague enough that the city can nitpick as much as they want and take the ownership to court on many accounts.
Ok then, we can work out a deal, move the Rays here, we'll stop going to Cuba, and go to the Tampa area for vacations.

From there we can take a boat and get to Cuba in a snap, i'm sure they'll send catamarans and the party starts! Everybody's happy.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Like airline pilots you mean?

Oh, wait ... :D

For the young pilots..start looking for a new career....

June 18, 2019

Would you be willing to fly on a pilotless jet? Airbus bets the answer is yes – eventually

LE BOURGET, France – The chief salesman for Airbus says his company already has the technology to fly passenger planes without pilots at all – and is working on winning over regulators and travelers to the idea.

“This is not a matter of technology – it’s a matter of interaction with the regulators, the perception in the traveling public,” he told The Associated Press.
“When can we introduce it in large commercial aircraft? That is a matter we are discussing with regulators and customers, but technology-wise, we don’t see a hurdle.”

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I'd have to look at enrollment numbers for baseball and basketball but both sports can coexist with each other. They are fundamentally different in terms of when/where it takes place and style of play. There is no doubt that baseball Canada needs to step up and still appealing to kids and teens today but the hype around a team returning to Canada will help with that. The Raptors success has swept through the country but we cant forget the hype around the Jays when they went on their runs too since had they won in 2015 I'd imagine the hype would be quite large too.
I'm just thinking from a young fan acquisition standpoint; there isn't much going on in baseball right now to sway a young casual observer to become a fan, while basketball is at this really exciting point, where there's so much to draw someone in, that I think, along with Montreal's love for the Habs, it's tough to get a third sport in the mix.

But either way, hopefully cheap tickets and older generations bringing their kids and raising them with the team will grow a new generation of fans.

Reactions: donghabs98

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really don't like this dual team idea. It reeks of the Puerto Rico days but in reverse. I'm not supporting this. Let me know when we have a team we can truly call our own.

Reactions: Chili and Justin11

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If the Rays’s current owners are granted an ownership stake in the Expos, they can be swayed. The city’s rights can be bought out. MLB’s two city solution is obviously to force Tampa’s hand while whittling down as much of the remaining lease years and then buy out the lease when the penalty becomes more affordable.

You can view the current agreement here:

Memorandum of Understanding

There is no built-in provision for early termination with penalties unless it it is to play elsewhere in Tampa. As the Mayor stated, any early termination or games played outside of Tampa area would require MoU amendment with City approval.

I'm sure it is possible to make an offer City will not refuse but the question is how much. So far the Mayor is not too keen and as unpopular as the Rays may be this would not look good for any Politician unless this franchise is a major ressource drain.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can view the current agreement here:

Memorandum of Understanding

There is no built-in provision for early termination with penalties unless it it is to play elsewhere in Tampa. As the Mayor stated, any early termination or games played outside of Tampa area would require MoU amendment with City approval.

I'm sure it is possible to make an offer City will not refuse but the question is how much. So far the Mayor is not too keen and as unpopular as the Rays may be this would not look good for any Politician unless this franchise is a major ressource drain.

Thanks for that. I'll review it as soon as I can.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Love that there's movement on the expos front, but really don't like the split team scenario. It really sucked when we had the handful of games in PR, so I can imagine Rays fans will feel the same, and that sucks. Also, it's not like they'd be a split team, and then all of a sudden go back to fully TB- the fans know it'll be a matter of time.

On our front, I can't really imagine many new fans cheering for a team that's only half ours- Montreal might struggle to get good attendance, and if our re-intro to baseball is splitting a team with zero cultural cachet and zero ties to the city, we're starting off weak. Since the Expos left, basketball has surpassed baseball, especially in Canada, so not only will the team be competing against the Habs, but the new generation who already doesn't care about baseball is getting drawn towards basketball, and with the raptors doing so well, they really need to go all out with bringing a team here, or it won't work.
Basketball is a Toronto thing nothing to do with Montreal. Montreal was a serious baseball town from after the war until 1990.

There is much more baseball history in montreal than Toronto.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
are they thinking seeing there's like what 1.5 million Quebecer go to Fla every year,,500,000 live there?? that they could fill both parks ??..lol

Split schedule for 2-3 years is ok ,until Montreal build the park...after that good bye Tampa ,that gotta be the way.
None of this sharing teams for next 25 years .lol

Maybe they could form a team and call it the Wanderers...play in like 15 different cities a year..lol
Actually there would be nothing wrong with the montreal expos having a guest city to play in during tbe cold spring months. Say 10 home games. But that would be an expos park. Paid for by the expos.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Tough. It’s fantastic to watch baseball on a sunny day. If people in Tampa could not turn out then **** them.
To be fair, the Rays play in a dome that could give the Big O a run for its money. :laugh:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
what city gets the playoffs games??

what city would get the world series games?

Tampa is a playoff team ...

If i was a Rays fan i burn and cancel tickets today....not that there is lots of ticket being sold down there...but...
So what. The spos got screwed by the league. And the jays voting for their relocating. While expos were a very good ball club with exciting young players. I feel zero sympathy for Rays fans.

I would die happy watching the spos f*** up tbe Jays. Let alone the yanks and sox.

I call it now. I will take the train up for 20 home games a year. What blast it would be.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I have multiple friends in the Angels & Dodgers front offices.

This split season share between TB and MON is just the start of the process so as to not cause a uproar.

Within 2 years they will become the Montreal Expos
Source?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce