OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Topic (Part II)

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Big O is a ****hole like the Cinema Theater right next to it. Nobody wants to drive there, bunch of crackhouse next to it
You mean the 1000 new condos closely watch by the zealous police officers that are redefining the neighborhood into HOMA where poor people aren't welcome... when was the last time you went there ? 1994 ?

Really this idea that the Stadium isn't easily accessible is a total myth sponsored by west islanders... you think it will be easier to get to the new stadium ? No way, getting there by car, will be a headache... and nobody will walk from there to downtown... in terms of location, it's as bad... but I guess no trespassing "la main", so it's all good...

The problem with the Big O isn't its location, but its design... never was made to be a baseball stadium and really... we are stuck 6 months per year inside our houses, you think we want to watch a baseball game in summer confined in the concrete bowl ?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
No sooner? Hummmm ... I hope no later. But, who knows for certain.

they won't come back full time to Big O with the roof on it now..lol
For a game or 2 ok...but heck even if the Big O is a temp home for 2-3 seasons(as a water front stadium gets built etc)..just not safe to be there full time
3 cm they close it due to roof..imagine Expos gone on a champion run and a freak snow storm hit..lol..(climate change eh??lol)

2024 it be all brand new building....safe roof ...that will be the real time for a return ...what happens next we don't know yet...

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You mean the 1000 new condos closely watch by the zealous police officers that are redefining the neighborhood into HOMA where poor people aren't welcome... when was the last time you went there ? 1994 ?

Really this idea that the Stadium isn't easily accessible is a total myth sponsored by west islanders... you think it will be easier to get to the new stadium ? No way, getting there by car, will be a headache... and nobody will walk from there to downtown... in terms of location, it's as bad... but I guess no trespassing "la main", so it's all good...

The problem with the Big O isn't its location, but its design... never was made to be a baseball stadium and really... we are stuck 6 months per year inside our houses, you think we want to watch a baseball game in summer confined in the concrete bowl ?

Yeah, that's another thing about the O, back when the spos were still here is when the tunnel started getting more and more jampacked everyday, now it's hell there almost every moment there's sunlight. Access to that part of town is now a real hell. With the new champlain bridge, it's a lot more logical to go to the basin area, even though I do still believe it's not the most ideal place for transportation. I left in 2012, can't have changed that much since then and I do go there from time to time. It's still a massive wreck. The roads look like Beirut circa 1990.

Edit: TY mod

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Really this idea that the Stadium isn't easily accessible is a total myth sponsored by west islanders...

West Islanders are a huge part of the fanbase so I'm not sure why you are dismissing their complaints about east end location as some kind of mythic conspiracy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Vite sur la gachette (I meant ahmedou's gunslinging a new thread in record time). :D

Last edited:

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Actually Mtl is doing very very well right. Has the best economic growth city in Canada in 2018. Trudeau-aiprport had 8 millions passengers in 2008...

in 2018...: 19.5 millions.

In 2017, Mtl had an historical record of foreign investement at more than 1.5 billion $.

Constructions area is breaking all record and they just announced about 4 more towers of 200 metres (Mtl has so far 5 ...190 to 200M in the city...4 more coming very soon)

Artificial Intelligence is doing very well too, Mtl is one of the world leader.

In 2018 Mtl was voted the second best students city in the world after Berlin and more and more of them wants to stay in the city after their school.

The REM will be a game changer too for the entire area.

Fans and season tickets holders will be able to go at the Bassin Peel from Kirkland, Pointe-Claire , Pierrefonds in less than 25 minutes...without transfer..

A Boston, Toronto or NY fan will be able to go at the stadium from the airport in 20 minutes without transfer.

The political stability is helping with no referendum in sight at all.

The startup system is growing a lot too

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Actually Mtl is doing very very well right. Has the best economic growth city in Canada in 2018. Trudeau-aiprport had 8 millions passengers in 2008...

in 2018...: 19.5 millions.

In 2017, Mtl had an historical record of foreign investement at more than 1.5 billion $.

Constructions area is breaking all record and they just announced about 4 more towers of 200 metres (Mtl has so far 5 ...190 to 200M in the city...4 more coming very soon)

Artificial Intelligence is doing very well too, Mtl is one of the world leader.

In 2018 Mtl was voted the second best students city in the world after Berlin and more and more of them wants to stay in the city after their school.

The REM will be a game changer too for the entire area.

Fans and season tickets holders will be able to go at the Bassin Peel from Kirkland, Pointe-Claire , Pierrefonds in less than 25 minutes...without transfer..

A Boston, Toronto or NY fan will be able to go at the stadium from the airport in 20 minutes without transfer.

The political stability is helping with no referendum in sight at all.

The startup system is growing a lot too

All for the bassin area with Champlain and the 1030 right over the other side. It will give a truly iconic view seen from coming around the 1030 side of the bridge going into town, the stadium, Mount Royal, the skyline. It can't be any other place and especially not HoMa.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The area around Olympic stadium isn’t as bad as people insist. I’m not saying it’s prime or downtown but the notion of some elite crack town is overboard.

It’s outdated and has some poor spots but so do many places around the city.

If it’s not a prime spot for expos so be it, I don’t think the area itself is impossible to spruce up.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The area around Olympic stadium isn’t as bad as people insist. I’m not saying it’s prime or downtown but the notion of some elite crack town is overboard.

If it’s not a prime spot for expos so be it, I don’t think the area itself is impossible to spruce up.

Sure it can, but they started doing exactly that when I was around 25. Im now gonna turn 40 and the amount of work still needed to be done is phenomenal.

C'est pas pour demain, disont.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Agreed. The narrative surrounding the Big-Owe and its surroundings is overblown. Fine if it's not a real baseball stadium and another should be built, but I don't think character assassinating both the Olympic Stadium and the neighbourhood around it is necessary to make that case.

Reactions: vesperal

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
West Islanders are a huge part of the fanbase so I'm not sure why you are dismissing their complaints about east end location as some kind of mythic conspiracy.
Because the West end location is as bad for easterners (who are also a big part of the fan base) if they don't take the subway... it's pretty self centered to think that the Big O is not easily accessible... there's a subway station just under it for christ sake... that won't be the case if they build it at Bassin Peel... but somehow it's going to be a great location because of the REM... yeah maybe if you live on the western south shore or the West island where there will be REM stations, for anyone else, it's going to be a little more tricky getting there than going to the Big O.

Again, there is absolutely no problem with the Big O location (except perhaps the night life which is close to non-existant... and even then it's developping... but still not the most exiting place in town that's for sure)... the problem was and still is that it's not a baseball stadium.

BTW, I'm all for building a new stadium (with no public funds) at bassin Peel, but not because it's "great location" compared to the Big O, but because if baseball ever wants to succeed it needs a new stadium... and depending on how it's build, it could be pretty iconic, either with J-C bridge, Mont-Royal or Mtl skyline.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Sure it can, but they started doing exactly that when I was around 25. Im now gonna turn 40 and the amount of work still needed to be done is phenomenal.

If there was plans to use the stadium in a big way there would be a lot of investment.

There’s just no incentive right now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There never was a projected use for the stadium, the Expos were never consulted on its design or on the feasability of turning it into a baseball stadium after the Olympics. It was an abject fail to plan of epic proportions.

I don't know what else the Big O can be used for, if it were refurbished. It's a longshot that it can serve any purpose that allows the govt to break even -- they've been trying that for years and between roof repairs, replacements and damages caused by the elements, successive govts have just kept on shoveling the issues onto the next govt. in power. It'll never get resolved in our lifetimes cause the whole idea was ill-conceived from the get-go.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I worked for the Montreal Expos. I was in the sales department (season tickets) in 2000 - 2001 (Loria era with the new stadium..duh..)

The problem with the Big O was not only the corportations from downtown but those from the West-island also. The big money for season tickets is from the corporations in downtown and in the West-Island....

It was really too far for them to bring their clients from them for a game at 7.p.m. at the time all the clients told us..please come in downtown and I will not have only 2 season tickets but 4 or 6..

Now in downtown, and especialy with the REM....they will be able to be at the stadium (from pierrefonds, Pointe-Claire, Kirkland, Technoparc st-Laurent) in less than 25 minutes...without transfer......unbelivable !!

The Rem will have a connection with the Metro..Blue, Orange and Green line

The Bassin Peel......is let me get straight....the perfect spot!

REM
Less than 20 minutes walk from the Bell Center (downtown corporations)

Near:
Victoria Bridge, New Champlain Bridge, Hihgway 10
Tunnel Ville Marie
New Turcot interchange

Possibility to built an entire new neighbourhood like in San Diego (Bars, Hotels, Condos, Appartment, parcs..etc...and Bronfman (Claridge ) will developp this !!

Also, at 5 minutes walk of the Old Mtl and the Old port with millions Americans tourists every Summer so great for individual tickets sales.

Fans from Boston, toron, NY who will take an hour flight to Montreal-Trudeau will take the REM and they will be at the stadium ....20 minutures later...without transfer

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My thought.

First officialize a team to montreal THEN approve financing a new stadium at Bassin Peel.

Not the other way around. Enough with public funds financing empty buildings.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder how close this would be to where the stadium would be built?

I don't know who produced this, but it's based on speculation from 2013 where the Peel Bassin was envisaged as an option:

overview.jpg

stade.jpg

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
This plan was for a stadium north of the Basiin peel but the land is diretly at the south of the Bassin (18 minutes walf form the Bell Center)

Perfect location with the Rem etc..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This plan was for a stadium north of the Basiin peel but the land is diretly at the south of the Bassin (18 minutes walf form the Bell Center)

Perfect location with the Rem etc..

OK, so the location from those picks is off. Do you have a better representation, a map that shows what the south side looks like?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Please don't write Mourial... I hate that expression from people of Quebec City..lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad