OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This ^^

I went to a lot of Expos games when I was younger and the Olympic stadium is TERRIBLE. They need to demolish it or something and build a new stadium for the Als and Expos closer to downtown.

Building a stadium for the Als and Expos would be a monumental mistake and would lead to yet another compromised venue.

You need a real ballpark, made for baseball. There are plenty of precedents already from cities who have gone this route. They can't afford to get it wrong.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A new stadium needs to be at the Cabot square + old CHildren's Hospital site. Right beside dense residential areas, walking distance from downtown, on a central metro location, beside the highway too, lots of parking already in area.

I love the location for all the reasons you mentioned. I just wonder if there is enough space to allow for a construction without major compromises.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Building a stadium for the Als and Expos would be a monumental mistake and would lead to yet another compromised venue.

You need a real ballpark, made for baseball. There are plenty of precedents already from cities who have gone this route. They can't afford to get it wrong.
Olympic Stadium certainly was a mistake. From the get go it was always behind schedule and over budget. Eventually, leading to the demise of Expos.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Olympic Stadium certainly was a mistake. From the get go it was always behind schedule and over budget. Eventually, leading to the demise of Expos.

It was a mistake on account of the city having poorly planned how it was going to be used after the Olympics.

Compare to the Atlanta Olympics where they built a stadium that was collapsible in part, in order to restructure the venue to accommodate the Braves.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It was a mistake on account of the city having poorly planned how it was going to be used after the Olympics.

Compare to the Atlanta Olympics where they built a stadium that was collapsible in part, in order to restructure the venue to accommodate the Braves.
Just curious, realistically, how far are we from getting MLB back in Montreal? Has Stephen Bronfman stayed out in the limelight, pimping all this these days, or has it all died down?
Are the Jays playing in the Big Owe again in March 19 ?

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just curious, realistically, how far are we from getting MLB back in Montreal? Has Stephen Bronfman stayed out in the limelight, pimping all this these days, or has it all died down?
I can't see it. Certainly not in near future. Now, if you are talking 10 years or more....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'm optimistic. The prospective owners took the unprecedented step of preparing a very detailed survey toward gauging the level of interest and commitment of the fan base, as well as conducting thorough interviews with a select group of fans that are representative of their clientele. They would not do this IMHO if something wasn't cooking.

The BJs are back at the Big Owe in the Spring facing an even more dreaded opponent, the Brewers. What a combo. The Jays who voted for the contraction of the Spos and the Brewers who were owned by the Commissioner who spearheaded it. f*** them both.

Reactions: WG

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
They had the perfect location one block from the Bell Centre and they blew it. Atwater is too small I think, unless they take over the square. René Lévesque is too large to encroach.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They had the perfect location one block from the Bell Centre and they blew it. Atwater is too small I think, unless they take over the square. René Lévesque is too large to encroach.

When the location looked it was going to be the future home of the Expos, I would stop by and imagine where home plate would be, based on the sketches made available at the time. Just another sad episode as an Expos fan.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Baseball is special in this way. Good baseball stadiums have unique designs, an important part of the overall experience. Only realized this after attending a few games down South. Football can share a stadium with soccer. Hockey with basketball but baseball is alone.

Will potential investors want to finance 100% of one + ongoing operations as it wont be used much for other activities? Maybe an occasional Habs winter classic and a concert here and there.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
When the location looked it was going to be the future home of the Expos, I would stop by and imagine where home plate would be, based on the sketches made available at the time. Just another sad episode as an Expos fan.
I go from sad, to pi$$ed off on what happend years ago to our Expos..............growing up as a kid, I so loved watching and listening to them on the radio ( yes I am old ) Carter,Dawson, Rogers, Valentine, the list is endless. We are still probably what, 5 years away?? Sad...

Jul 6, 2016
I go from sad, to pi$$ed off on what happend years ago to our Expos..............growing up as a kid, I so loved watching and listening to them on the radio ( yes I am old ) Carter,Dawson, Rogers, Valentine, the list is endless. We are still probably what, 5 years away?? Sad...

I would say 2-3 years at the most.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal

Sux for them. They have a real nice hockey team and fan support..

I wonder if the Expos would be MLB's best spot like now? We don't quite diserve it but it would work, we do have alot of money available, sort of. But the stadium is not there.

Again, sux for them, I wonder what went so wrong, other than their new stadium not being build.. Didn't they won a title just latelly?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Apparently the MLB is prioritizing a move to Montreal first, the rays are open to having about 10 home games in a different city next season and that would be us.

We'd be in the same division as the Yanks and Sox though, that's a bummer. But the rivalry against the jays could be really good for both markets.

Filosa is following the situation very closely, here's an update of where we are in the process and how it can probably pan out in just a couple of years.

Reactions: HabsDood

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Apparently the MLB is prioritizing a move to Montreal first, the rays are open to having about 10 home games in a different city next season and that would be us.

We'd be in the same division as the Yanks and Sox though, that's a bummer. But the rivalry against the jays could be really good for both markets.

Iiich.. That division is tooooo coooool.. We wouldn't win often but it's a sure succes.. Love this tough division. Anyway, sux for them..

I'd go

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It's a great division to be in every aspect except the competitive one lol. But scouting and development is the ultimate equalizer so we better be good at it once we get there.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It is pretty simple now - the first city that comes up with a ready to build stadium plan will get the Expos. MLB might even allow 2 years at the Big Owe as long as a stadium is being built.

Beware Portland, Oregon or San Antonio.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It is pretty simple now - the first city that comes up with a ready to build stadium plan will get the Expos. MLB might even allow 2 years at the Big Owe as long as a stadium is being built.

Beware Portland, Oregon or San Antonio.
Two years is the absolute most that they'd allow at Olympic Stadium I'd say.

The first year would still be a novelty so fans would go, but how long until people get annoyed at that shit hole again and stop going to games until a real stadium is available?

Anyway, go Expos. Can't wait to destroy the Nationals.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The current MLB guy sure seems like he has his eyes on righting a wrong by Loria and Selig...wold love to see the Rays move up to Montreal.....the division is tough, but what rivalries we would have with the Jays, Yanks, and Redsox!!!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I've been a Jays fan by default just because I was too young to truly watch and appreciate the Expos growing up. I'd love to see them back, and would probably follow and cheer for both teams.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Sux for them. They have a real nice hockey team and fan support..

I wonder if the Expos would be MLB's best spot like now? We don't quite diserve it but it would work, we do have alot of money available, sort of. But the stadium is not there.

Again, sux for them, I wonder what went so wrong, other than their new stadium not being build.. Didn't they won a title just latelly?

Like what happened in Montreal...Bad stadium, in a bad location kills the baseball team (bad ownership too in Montreal). For Tampa they have a nice hockey arena, in a proper location, with a solid owner. People are starting to understand that is not necessarily a reflection of a city's fanbase, it's just a toxic situation no club will endure forever.

I agree it really sucks for them, but someone's going to gain from it, and it looks like it's likely going to be us.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Wish baseball had a salary cap.

Tough to follow a farm team for the big spenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad