OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
I'd prefer the Expos in the NL East but, I'd be so happy just to have a team back that I wouldn't mind the AL Beast.

A relocation over an expansion team. We've gone the expansion route in 69 and I don't feel like living through that again.
67 no? And we had the 67 Exposition back then.. The name came from there.

Jul 6, 2016
Frig I hope not!!! I'd like to see playoff baseball at some point and being in NYY and Boston AL East leaves little chance of that.

But you gonna see great teams. And TB team isn't that bad now.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MLB absolutely broke my heart taking the Expos to Washington.................I probably went 10 years, not watching baseball.......

Right now, I am almost afraid to get excited, or positive about this.........would love to visit Montreal in the summer!! The Habs could use the competition for the $$$ spent in the city by fans!!

How soon do you guys think this could happen? As soon as next year, the 2020 MLB season? 1 yr at the Big Owe while the downtown stadium gets built?

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
It has to be in the AL East. They made the mistake in 69. Don't make it again, please. The natural rivalries are in the AL East, not even close. It was the case in 69, but they decided to put them in the NL, which sucked. Montreal baseball fans want to see the Jays, Yanks and Sox. Not the Mets nor the dreaded Gnats. God forbid. Or the Marlins. Eeesh...

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
It has to be in the AL East. They made the mistake in 69. Don't make it again, please. The natural rivalries are in the AL East, not even close. It was the case in 69, but they decided to put them in the NL, which sucked. Montreal baseball fans want to see the Jays, Yanks and Sox. Not the Mets nor the dreaded Gnats. God forbid. Or the Marlins. Eeesh...
I agree, but I'm still an NL fan. The AL is still the league of the fat DHs, no strategy, to me.

Reactions: Bloumeister

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
But you gonna see great teams. And TB team isn't that bad now.
ya Tampa Bay isn't that bad... always 2-3 teams behind the wild card but that's the problem with being in NYY and BOS division.
As long as the team is pretty solid I think fans will support (assuming a stadium gets put downtown). I used to head to the big O for almost every game but I won't do that again. Would love to hit downtown games though.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Imagine watching the Nats play here? That's heartbreaking.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I would welcome the return of the Expos with open arms. They just can't play at the big O. I would prefer a relocation than an expansion team. Would cost less too.

The stadium is a big issue though. Undevelopped land downtown is seeing a bunch of highrises popping up so I believe time is running out to built a stadium downtown. Don't want to be too positive about recent developments regarding the Rays. We have been hearing rumours all these years that they might be relocated to Montreal. They might stay in Tampa after all.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
I would welcome the return of the Expos with open arms. They just can't play at the big O. I would prefer a relocation than an expansion team. Would cost less too.

The stadium is a big issue though. Undevelopped land downtown is seeing a bunch of highrises popping up so I believe time is running out to built a stadium downtown. Don't want to be too positive about recent developments regarding the Rays. We have been hearing rumours all these years that they might be relocated to Montreal. They might stay in Tampa after all.
I don't think they'll stay there, sadly.. That said, I posted a comment about a great location idea for a stadium a couple of pages back, there is a spot..

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I remember whenever the Spos faced the Yanks and Sox in particular, a large contingent of their fans always attended at the Owe.

Can't wait for playball.

And contrary to anyone expressing fears about their future -- well, let them get here first. And then, since there will be no Brochu in sight, we'll be good.

Reactions: Fenway

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Sounds like they want a similar deal to what Lebreton development plan was meant to achieve. Build condos and other RE around which will help finance a new stad. Would there be a good location DT for such a large undertaking?

Peel Bassin in Griffintown. About a 15 min walk from the Bell Centre. The new REM light rail system has a projected stop on Peel Bassin if a stadium is built.

1920px-Stations_REM.png

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I am 100% for the return of the Expos, but following those studies i'd really love to see some truly independant studies too, it sounds too good to be true in my cynical mind

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I am 100% for the return of the Expos, but following those studies i'd really love to see some truly independant studies too, it sounds too good to be true in my cynical mind
I can't imagine they'd be much different. The problem with these studies though is that it asks people if they'd go to games and people say yes, but saying yes and actually buying tickets is a very different thing.

That said, I fully plan on buying partial season tickets if / when we have a team in the downtown area.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
If one f***ing penny of public money is spent on the return of baseball here I'm burning down city hall.

f*** that shit. We had it, they f***ed us, they left. Baseball no longer exists, I'm not going through this shitshow again.

Fix the infrastructure instead.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I can't imagine they'd be much different. The problem with these studies though is that it asks people if they'd go to games and people say yes, but saying yes and actually buying tickets is a very different thing.

That said, I fully plan on buying partial season tickets if / when we have a team in the downtown area.

yeahhh probably, i'd still love to actually see the results of that research and the methodology used but I can't find any of it

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Just curious here, if MLB puts the Rays in Montreal, would there be a dispersal type of draft similar to what the NHL did for Vegas? Can't remember what happened when the Spos moved to Washington?
There is no need for an expansion draft. Only expansion teams are given the right to do that which also makes sense. You are building a new franchise from scratch, you need players.

An existing franchise relocated already has players. No need for a dispersal draft. A dispersal draft usually involves a removal/contraction or closure/merger of a team.

Reactions: BLONG7

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I loved baseball and want the expos to come back. But really? They payroll is gonna be what, 50 mil on a good year? Where does that bring us? same place we were where the team has had to have fire sales all the damn time

Prove me wrong

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Not only is there a big difference between thinking you'll go to X games and then actually putting down the money and going, if you want the team to return there is an incentive to overestimate what you would buy to make it seem more appealing to the powers that be.

Reactions: Le Tricolore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad