OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I’m not knowledgeable about baseball generally. Can anyone tell me what’s the MLB interest to bring back baseball to MTL rather than just move the team to another US city?

The largest American market without a team is Orlando-Daytona, which is smaller than Montreal.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’m not knowledgeable about baseball generally. Can anyone tell me what’s the MLB interest to bring back baseball to MTL rather than just move the team to another US city?
The commisioner seemed to be very dialed in with those preseason games and liked the 45K in attendance...
I think it's more the TB owner than the MLB crowd though...

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Honestly, I do not follow much baseball atm. I used to but the misery of the Expos burned me out.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So instead of playing in the absolute worst baseball stadium, they will get to play in the absolute TWO worst baseball stadiums???

Any "plan" that involves the Olympic f^%$ing Stadium is a non-starter for this former Expos season-ticket holder.

No thank you.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The commisioner seemed to be very dialed in with those preseason games and liked the 45K in attendance...
I think it's more the TB owner than the MLB crowd though...
This is a full court press by Steinberg to get TBay to build him a stadium.

As Stevie Bronfman said last year, a full time team in Mtl isn’t going to work, as there just isn’t the investment clout of billionaire ownership available in Mtl to privately build a stadium and fund a team for 162-game season

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So instead of playing in the absolute worst baseball stadium, they will get to play in the absolute TWO worst baseball stadiums???

Any "plan" that involves the Olympic f^%$ing Stadium is a non-starter for this former Expos season-ticket holder.

No thank you.

I don't mind the Big O. Sure a new open stadium downtown will be great, but going to the Big O brings back fond memories.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Seasons with an "s"? Please dont tell me this sharing thing will last multiple seasons.

I dont agree with this possibility of multiple seasons either , but IF it's the only way to have Baseball back full time down the road , then so be it. I hope it will work out for us and then the MLB will say one day that we have a team back full time.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Honestly, I do not follow much baseball atm. I used to but the misery of the Expos burned me out.
Yeah man , i understand your pain . I really hope that if we get a team back that things will be different this time . I hope the new owners will inject money to keep our good core players and build from there going forward.

Reactions: Mandala

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

No thank you.

Plan calls for two new open roof stadiums. Summers are too hot down South and Montreal Springs, Falls are too cold for an open stadium over a full season. Hence a split could allow both cities to have lower cost and much better from a fan experience open roof stadiums. Rays lease is only up in 2027 so plenty of time to build new infra.

Big O could maybe see some postseason with +50 000 fans.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Plan calls for two new open roof stadiums. Summers are too hot down South and Montreal Springs, Falls are too cold for an open stadium over a full season. Hence a split could allow both cities to have lower cost and much better from a fan experience open roof stadiums. Rays lease is only up in 2027 so plenty of time to build new infra.

Big O could maybe see some postseason with +50 000 fans.

Sorry, zero interest in sharing a franchise with a team in Florida.

They would never be Nos Z'Amours, so who cares? More like Nos Sternbergs.

It is some cockamamie plan by a businessman and Montreal is caught in the middle of it.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Build an open air stadium, surround it with bars & restaurants, and I’d consider moving back to Montreal just to enjoy some nice afternoon games in July/August.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Conflicted about it, can't wait to bring my son watch some baseball with a hot dog but not in the big O :P

I can't believe the players will be happy with the condition in that stadium and live on the road like that. That being said I hope it work and people show up to the games

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
My guess is the team will be shared until Montreal builds a new stadium. At that point, the team will relocate permanently.
Stevie Bronfman stated last year “Mtl market is NOT capable of supporting a baseball team for an entire 81-game home schedule, and time sharing with TBay is the only scenario for having MLB in Mtl on a permanent basis”

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Conflicted about it, can't wait to bring my son watch some baseball with a hot dog but not in the big O :P

I can't believe the players will be happy with the condition in that stadium and live on the road like that. That being said I hope it work and people show up to the games
There is no way MLBPA will approve this scenario - this is a Stuart Sterberg PP to get the city of Tampa / St Pete to cough up a new stadium

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Tampa have an excellent club. A great superstar in the making named Wander Franco. I can already hear Rodger call his name. Hopefully the split season is temporary and in a couple of years they move permanently here.

Yes, having Vladdy and Franco battling for MVPS in the same division in Canada will be awesome.

Reactions: MarkJ

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Expos baseball would be the same as the Jets return to Winnipeg: delirious happiness and fixing a gross and unfair injustice.

Baseball should have never been taken away from Montreal, and the Jets should have never been taken from Winnipeg.

We got one back, now it’s time for the Expos to come back home too!

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Show me where the money is coming from and I'll start believing in an Expos return.

A lot of the talk is about funding a stadium and fan support, which are legitimate questions, but which owner is going to want to spend over 100 million a year on payroll? That's what you need to compete in MLB at the minimum.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Expos baseball would be the same as the Jets return to Winnipeg: delirious happiness and fixing a gross and unfair injustice.

Baseball should have never been taken away from Montreal, and the Jets should have never been taken from Winnipeg.

We got one back, now it’s time for the Expos to come back home too!
There’s no salary cap in baseball, how exactly will a Mtl team compete w NYY, Red Sox, Dodgers etc. to retain and add talent?

TBay is what the Expos were back in the day - despite their on-field success, they are a penniless team, hence why they are considering this arrangement in the first place.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
There is no way MLBPA will approve this scenario - this is a Stuart Sterberg PP to get the city of Tampa / St Pete to cough up a new stadium

MLBPA boss hasn't ruled out:

Addressing the subject for the first time, Clark told the Tampa Bay Times on Saturday night that getting the players to go along — given the logistical, financial and familial issues — would “be difficult.’’

But, significantly, adding that it’s not out of the question.
“I’m not going to say it’s impossible that we couldn’t come to an agreement that’s acceptable for them to split between Tampa Bay and Montreal,’’ Clark said in a telephone interview.
“But it definitely wouldn’t represent the ideal situation for players or, we think, fans in those cities either.’’

Union prefers Rays stay put but could approve Montreal plan

Good luck retaining any quality players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad