OT: All-Purpose Expos Return Speculation Topic -- Part Deux

Would you root for the Expos if they returned as a split squad with the Rays?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Yeah but most people don't understand or care about the GDP and you can bet that the opposition parties know that and will appeal to the lowest common knowledge / opinion on this one.

If it goes through, this will be on the ballot when Legault goes for reelection.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
basic teachers and nurses both make about 65k at 10 years. This is in line with averages of most developed countries. Why exactly do you feel they are underpaid and how much do you think should they make?

65K at 10 years of experience isn't exactly good man.
Teachers shape the minds of future generations. Kids spent most of their time at school. They should definitely be earning more. That said, they do have a lot of vacation time, so that's a big perk.
Nurses however, that's not an easy job, they should be making way more..especially when doctors make so much. Makes no sense to be paying nurses so little while doctors become millionaires.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah but most people don't understand or care about the GDP and you can bet that the opposition parties know that and will appeal to the lowest common knowledge / opinion on this one.

If it goes through, this will be on the ballot when Legault goes for reelection.
Unless he f***s up bad in the next year, he's getting reelected by a major landslide. All indicators point in that direction. Opposition parties right now are being left with nothing. So I don't think Madame Liberal Party will do much to affect his popularity. She is irrelevant right now. Specially if Coderre gets elected back too as the mayor. I don't see any any obstacle.

Quebeckers will accept the loan.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
65K at 10 years of experience isn't exactly good man.
Teachers shape the minds of future generations. Kids spent most of their time at school. They should definitely be earning more. That said, they do have a lot of vacation time, so that's a big perk.
Nurses however, that's not an easy job, they should be making way more..especially when doctors make so much. Makes no sense to be paying nurses so little while doctors become millionaires.

Not sure where this 65k figure is coming from for nurses. An entry level registered nurse probably makes more than that especially when you factor in their OT.

Unless there is a wide range in salaries from province to province. I mean, I live in BC, and the nurses are unionized here. I'm not a nurse so I don't know the exact figures but I have a rough idea.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Not sure where this 65k figure is coming from for nurses. An entry level registered nurse probably makes more than that especially when you factor in their OT.

Unless there is a wide range in salaries from province to province. I mean, I live in BC, and the nurses are unionized here. I'm not a nurse so I don't know the exact figures but I have a rough idea.

Nurses in Quebec start at 24$ an hour which is less than 50k a year

Auxiliairy nurses make less than this

Teachers start at 42k a year

Reactions: DAChampion

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Nurses in Quebec start at 24$ an hour which is less than 50k a year

Auxiliairy nurses make less than this

Teachers start at 42k a year

Teachers in Ontario do pretty well, but it’s insane that they require 5-6 years of post secondary. Should be 3. But most trades and professions are beholden to the education industry.

I required 7 years post secondary and in hindsight I would have been just as qualified after 5. 3+2 instead of 4+3.

Reactions: Runner77

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Bronfman group really likes to keep a low profile, still no official comments on potential public financial support.

Reactions: DAChampion

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Heck, that would make him a baby face in my book and I freaking hate the guy :laugh:

Uedgl3F.gif

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Arent you guys still spending money on Olympic Stadium? I'd rather public money go to a new stadium if they are still investing in that crappy dump with tax payers money. Didn't U2 have to build a stadium to have a concert a decade ago or something? You guys need a new stadium lol.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Arent you guys still spending money on Olympic Stadium? I'd rather public money go to a new stadium if they are still investing in that crappy dump with tax payers money. Didn't U2 have to build a stadium to have a concert a decade ago or something? You guys need a new stadium lol.

Olympic Stadium has been a shit show.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

I thought the white elephant was finally paid off 5-10 years ago?

Initial debt to build the stadium was paid off. Now there are ongoing management and maintenance costs requiring about 20M from govt every year. Roof needs to be replaced soon so add another 250-300m.

Want to host a few WC2026 games? Add more to make it FIFA compliant. A gift that keeps on giving for sure.

Want to implode it in a giant glorious fireball? Nope, subway runs under. A study was done about a decode to cost demolishing. Price tag at the time was estimated to be 700m. Maybe techniques have improved since but it does not sound like anyone wants to bite the bullet and end this misery once and for all.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
The stadium is fully paid, it's a monument, it can stay there for tourists, no prob.. It's also the site of the Biodome and olympic pool.. Problem is it wasn't build for baseball at all.

BTW, did you knew that it's the highest inclined tower in the world? 45 degrees and 45 story high, plus it supports the roof, worth a visit.

Reactions: stanley25

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Initial debt to build the stadium was paid off. Now there are ongoing management and maintenance costs requiring about 20M from govt every year. Roof needs to be replaced soon so add another 250-300m.

Want to host a few WC2026 games? Add more to make it FIFA compliant. A gift that keeps on giving for sure.

Want to implode it in a giant glorious fireball? Nope, subway runs under. A study was done about a decode to cost demolishing. Price tag at the time was estimated to be 700m. Maybe techniques have improved since but it does not sound like anyone wants to bite the bullet and end this misery once and for all.
Any studies conducted on much it would cost to fill with soil and plant flowers?

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Any studies conducted on much it would cost to fill with soil and plant flowers?
It's here to stay, we still host a bunch of events there and it's a tourist attraction. Don't believe what some people say. Plus, it's mine, cigaret taxpayers paid for it! :laugh:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The stadium is fully paid, it's a monument, it can stay there for tourists, no prob.. It's also the site of the Biodome and olympic pool.. Problem is it wasn't build for baseball at all.

BTW, did you knew that it's the highest inclined tower in the world? 45 degrees and 45 story high, plus it supports the roof, worth a visit.

I do not believe it supports the roof anymore as the retractable roof was removed.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I never been to the big O, but when I see images of it, it looks really strange. There isn't really a facility from the present or past that looks anything like it. I wonder what people in the 70s thought of it.

From the inside, I just remember it mostly for the expos layout, and it looked hideous. The ugly seats, the apparently unforgiving astroturf, to the most amateur looking out of town scoreboard near the bleachers. I personally hated the bullpens that were near the dugout, but thats just a personal thing.

It looked like a depressing venue for baseball. There was no ballpark in the 90s that looked as visually displeasing as the big O, and that's saying something because the kingdome in Seattle was still around.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I never been to the big O, but when I see images of it, it looks really strange. There isn't really a facility from the present or past that looks anything like it. I wonder what people in the 70s thought of it.

From the inside, I just remember it mostly for the expos layout, and it looked hideous. The ugly seats, the apparently unforgiving astroturf, to the most amateur looking out of town scoreboard near the bleachers. I personally hated the bullpens that were near the dugout, but thats just a personal thing.

It looked like a depressing venue for baseball. There was no ballpark in the 90s that looked as visually displeasing as the big O, and that's saying something because the kingdome in Seattle was still around.

The thing is, it’s a copy of an Olympic stadium built in Germany, in which they tore it down.

edit: I’m having trouble finding anything on the internet...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad