Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought that Scandella has picked it up a bit recently. Showed some nice offense. D is OK. Remember, in the past he was playing with Spurgeon. There's quite a difference between playing with him vs. Prosser, Folin, or Dumba.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Can't disagree more.

Dumba has been exposed over the past 3 weeks. In a bad way. He was not good last night, awful against 'Peg. Scandella has been fine but nowhere near Brodin's level.

Also, our PK has gotten worse as well.

Team is moving right along just fine. Exposed is a bit of hyperbole.

Dumba continues to grow his game even from where he was at this point last year. Unwise to miss out where he'll even be at in two years time. Yet to see any sort of meaningful growth from Brodin since his rookie year.

Goes without saying, team will miss a lot of what Dumba can do if/when he exits the lineup. Especially given how well they can mitigate what was supposed to be a 'huge' loss when Brodin went down.

Thankfully, the team will be wise enough to expose Brodin if they can't work anything out.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Salary cap and money dictates that's no longer a Dumba vs. Brodin decision. Two of Brodin, Dumba and Scandella won't be on the roster next year.

If you drop both the lefties, who do have holding down a 2nd pair with Dumba?

Ultimately it's a stability vs. upside decision

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
Salary cap and money dictates that's no longer a Dumba vs. Brodin decision. Two of Brodin, Dumba and Scandella won't be on the roster next year.

If you drop both the lefties, who do have holding down a 2nd pair with Dumba?

Ultimately it's a stability vs. upside decision

I think you are completely wrong it will only be one of the three gone. Remember nino and granlund don't need a deal this off-season. So the cap won't be that big of an issue as some claim. (Unless I have something wrong)

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
If Dumba is exposed, he will 100% be the player Las Vegas picks. Might as well trade him if that's going to be the decision. A defenseman with 50-60 point upside (could it be more?) is just not a player you get rid of for nothing, especially when he's under team control for another season. It's out of the question.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
LV gm has already came out and said they would be very interested in assets for not selecting certain player deals. Cant see any reason Haula+Scandella trade&pick deal cannot be worked out. Vegas would be getting a top4 defender and one of the younger more talented centers that would potentially be available. If we have to add a pick to get it done then you do it imo.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well my bad again sorry I'm usually wrong

Fletcher said that long-term deals weren't an imperative. 1 or 2 year deals via arbitration or otherwise were still a possibility. But either way, I don't know how it still wouldn't be a sizable increase from what they are making currently.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Dumba continues to grow his game even from where he was at this point last year. Unwise to miss out where he'll even be at in two years time. Yet to see any sort of meaningful growth from Brodin since his rookie year.

Goes without saying, team will miss a lot of what Dumba can do if/when he exits the lineup. Especially given how well they can mitigate what was supposed to be a 'huge' loss when Brodin went down.

Thankfully, the team will be wise enough to expose Brodin if they can't work anything out.

How so?

And thankfully, you seem to be in the minority on this one.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How so?

And thankfully, you seem to be in the minority on this one.

His aggressiveness in the offensive zone for one. His shot for another... I know people like to rag on every tiny little mistake he makes, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he brings anything of value to this team when he steps on the ice.

There are games here and there where he has more ice-time than Suter and he looks good doing it!

Thats why ultimately, we NEED to find a way to keep BOTH.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Just leave Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, Niederreiter and Dubnyk unprotected and watch LV losing their mind.;)

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
His aggressiveness in the offensive zone for one. His shot for another... I know people like to rag on every tiny little mistake he makes, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he brings anything of value to this team when he steps on the ice.

There are games here and there where he has more ice-time than Suter and he looks good doing it!

Thats why ultimately, we NEED to find a way to keep BOTH.

Never disagreed with that. That's my goal as well. And I never said he doesn't bring anything of value. I for one, value defense more than most but in the defensive zone and neutral zone, Brodin is waves better which is why the initial comment was unreal to me. When someone says we should HOPE Vegas takes Brodin, that's asinine.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

FWIW, On Russo's latest podcast with Souhan. He says flat out the Wild are not happy with Dumba's game.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
FWIW, On Russo's latest podcast with Souhan. He says flat out the Wild are not happy with Dumba's game.

He was surprisingly emphatic about that and that it was something he had direct knowledge of (as opposed to the more common "my Russo-sense is tingling" stuff).

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
It doesn't surprise me that they aren't happy. He has been poor in the neutral zone and flat out bad in our zone as of late.

A few flashes in the o-zone aren't going to be enough to offset the above.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Still, it's easy to conflate management's opinion of Dumba's play this season and their opinion of his future. One doesn't necessarily say much about the other.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Still, it's easy to conflate management's opinion of Dumba's play this season and their opinion of his future. One doesn't necessarily say much about the other.

4 years in, i'm sure it's starting to impact their opinion of his future.

His D zone play, specifically gap control and decision making, should be improving by now. It still can. But every day I personally get more doubtful. I don't see the gains others do who say he's "avg" in the D zone.

Still looks pretty bad to me 90% of the time.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
4 years in, i'm sure it's starting to impact their opinion of his future.

His D zone play, specifically gap control and decision making, should be improving by now. It still can. But every day I personally get more doubtful. I don't see the gains others do who say he's "avg" in the D zone.

Still looks pretty bad to me 90% of the time.

Yes. This.

I don't want to lose him for nothing by any means, hell put him at RW and let him not have to worry about his awful defensive puck decisions!

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Still a no brainer to me to protect Brodin.

Russo on the podcast almost sounded like the Wild are protecting Zucker, no question about it. So that leaves us at Staal. If he doesn't get back to early-season form, does he get exposed? I say every time there's a ways to go before the expansion draft, as there's time for everything to change, but I can't help but speculate anyway. :laugh: A month ago Staal was a lock to be protected. Now I'm not so sure again. Maybe exposing Staal saves Dumba/Brodin too.

Ek will be here next year likely to take up a center spot, but there would still be a big hole at 2C.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if i were vegas gm i'd pick young talent who could play for 5 years or more rather than a vet who may want out the second he can bail.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Losing Staal would hurt but he is over 30 already so management wise it makes more sense to protect the younger guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad