Speculation: All-Purpose Expansion Talk Thread v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can't believe you are talking about trading Coyle. What have Greenway and Tuch done in the NHL? Whatever happened to earning a spot?

Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. It's about what you get in return, not what have Tuch and Greenway done to get a spot.

Who's to say if you trade Coyle it even opens up that spot for them? What if the asset in return takes that spot?

There is value enough out there for ANYONE to be traded if the right offer is made.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Even Wayne Gretzky was traded. It's about what you get in return, not what have Tuch and Greenway done to get a spot.

Who's to say if you trade Coyle it even opens up that spot for them? What if the asset in return takes that spot?

There is value enough out there for ANYONE to be traded if the right offer is made.

I mean the post said expansion draft d and a pick. Like to hear some names that would be considered in that situation that would be acceptable.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Are we forgetting that even though he's been abysmal for the last 2 weeks, he is still 3rd on this team in scoring and his P/G is still .76?

He's 24 and signed through 2020 at a $3.2M Cap Hit.

Unless the return is outlandish as can be, there should be no discussion in moving him. If the discussion is because we want to open up cap space, find me someone with a $3.2M hit that will be better and I am all ears

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
So, the Wild have been doing pretty well without Brodin. Had it been Dumba, I imagine the results would be similar. Are folks sweating out the loss of a single player too much?

All these "give Vegas Scandella and Haula and a pick to not take Dumba/Brodin" seem very fantasy hockey and extravagant to me. I think the Wild gonna lose one and move on.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We're still winning games, but Brodin's absence has been noticeable. Shots against ticked up and blown leads starting happening more regularly starting with that New Jersey game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Well yes.
And no.
Gretzky was traded because Peter Pocklington ran out of money. In other words, it was not a "hockey trade", though it pretended to be one. AFAIK, Leipold is doing fine financially.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well yes.
And no.
Gretzky was traded because Peter Pocklington ran out of money. In other words, it was not a "hockey trade", though it pretended to be one. AFAIK, Leipold is doing fine financially.

You realize he was traded more than one time right?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
92 points as a broken down old man

for him, that was broken down. There was only one "Gretzky trade". There are still articles that come out every once in a while about it up north Pocklington is still a pariah in Edmonton.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
for him, that was broken down. There was only one "Gretzky trade". There are still articles that come out every once in a while about it up north Pocklington is still a pariah in Edmonton.
I know that fir him it was broken down...that's why I said it...but my point still remains.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
You realize he was traded more than one time right?

92 points as a broken down old man

There isn't a year he scored 92 points, so I don't know what you're referring to.

LA got a first round pick (and some players and another late round pick) for a declining (his best season he scored 215 points, in LA still 163 points) 35yo, whose wife was from St. Louis.

The year before he was only a 1.0 PPG with 48 points and LA had missed the window of a cup run.

He left St. Louis because Sather was putting the band back together...and because Gretzky sold tickets in NY. After only 18 games as a free agent.

But there was never really a hockey trade.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There isn't a year he scored 92 points, so I don't know what you're referring to.

LA got a first round pick (and some players and another late round pick) for a declining (his best season he scored 215 points, in LA still 163 points) 35yo, whose wife was from St. Louis.

The year before he was only a 1.0 PPG with 48 points and LA had missed the window of a cup run.

He left St. Louis because Sather was putting the band back together...and because Gretzky sold tickets in NY. After only 18 games as a free agent.

But there was never really a hockey trade.

So you looked up his stats, saw he had 90pts his 2nd to last year in the league and couldn't make the correlation that I was just trying to remember that season? Not a bad guess at the number considering I had just woken up to get ready for work and was only 2pts off.

You can analyze the trades to death all you want, but the point still remains... Gretzky was traded not once, but multiple times in his career. THE GREAT ONE. If he can be traded... ANYONE can be traded is the point. That is a simple fact.

Thus, saying Coyle couldn't possibly ever be traded this offseason is absurd, as Coyle isn't some cosmic untouchable that a reason could NEVER exist that he could be traded.

If someone offered enough, he would be gone, plain and simple.

Is it likely? No, but it's not crazy to think it could happen.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
So you looked up his stats, saw he had 90pts his 2nd to last year in the league and couldn't make the correlation that I was just trying to remember that season? Not a bad guess at the number considering I had just woken up to get ready for work and was only 2pts off.

You can analyze the trades to death all you want, but the point still remains... Gretzky was traded not once, but multiple times in his career. THE GREAT ONE. If he can be traded... ANYONE can be traded is the point. That is a simple fact.

Thus, saying Coyle couldn't possibly ever be traded this offseason is absurd, as Coyle isn't some cosmic untouchable that a reason could NEVER exist that he could be traded.

If someone offered enough, he would be gone, plain and simple.

Is it likely? No, but it's not crazy to think it could happen.

Of course I looked up his stats...but why should his 2nd year in NY be of any relevance?
He was not traded anymore. And this discussion was about Gretzky's trades.
He was declining BEFORE and was traded to the Blues (for family reasons, too) and went as a free agent to the Big Apple.

Now we're living in a cap world...completely different to Gretzky's era.
In a cap world there are no reasons to trade Coyle, but of course you can make up some fiction.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Of course I looked up his stats...but why should his 2nd year in NY be of any relevance?
He was not traded anymore. And this discussion was about Gretzky's trades.
He was declining BEFORE and was traded to the Blues (for family reasons, too) and went as a free agent to the Big Apple.

Now we're living in a cap world...completely different to Gretzky's era.
In a cap world there are no reasons to trade Coyle, but of course you can make up some fiction.
Really? He was declining before? Wow... I would have never guessed. How can you miss my point on that? If he was declining before... he declined a lot more before he actually reached his 2nd to last year of his career when he reached 90pts. Thus yes, he was declining, but he was STILL A GREAT PLAYER was my point, so obviously that is relevant to when he was traded earlier than that.

Yes, we live in a cap world, much different than Gretzky's era... which makes trades all the more likely as teams need to clear cap space and replace them with youth that are just as effective yet cheaper etc.

All of that is completely besides the point.

There is one point and one point only that I was making... ANYONE will be traded for the right price... period. ANYONE. Be that James Sheppard or the Great One himself. ANYONE.

The only thing that can stop it is a no trade clause etc... and even then, players have been known to waive from time to time to facilitate a trade when the time comes.

Coyle is not some cosmic untouchable that no deal could ever possibly come along that the Wild would ever accept. It's not likely he will be traded, but it's not crazy if he were either.

Now stop over analyzing things and move on... PLEASE.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
At this point I think you hope Vegas takes Brodin and then move on.

Can't disagree more.

Dumba has been exposed over the past 3 weeks. In a bad way. He was not good last night, awful against 'Peg. Scandella has been fine but nowhere near Brodin's level.

Also, our PK has gotten worse as well.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
with all the offense we have now & coming down the pipeline i think strong D play is more important so i'd keep brodin over dumba. i will have a tear in my eye if we lose dumba. i didnt realize how good defensively schultz was until he was gone, i'd imagine it would be more noticeable if we lost brodin.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, no one is pretending that losing Dumba is something to be happy about. I harp on his defiencies, but see that he could be a very good Dman in this league should he fix them. I am also not crazy about losing his personality from the team. I think he keeps the guys loose and having fun. He also has a bit of toughness to him. I thought it was funny last night when Panarin, who fancies himself a tough guy, seemed to want a piece of Dumba. I don't think that would've turned out well for the Russian. Dumba is a pretty good middleweight fighter.

I do agree that with the offensive talent coming down the pipeline that defensive talent will be at a premium with this team in the future. Brodin fits that to a T, and it's not like he doesn't have puck moving skills, either.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
At this point I think you hope Vegas takes Brodin and then move on.

I also could not disagree more.

Brodin is priority #1A or 1B, along with Spurgeon, in terms of the defensemen who could be exposed who we need to protect.

Since they won't take Folin, ideally LV would take Scandella because he is our most replaceable d-man. Dumba is a nice guy to have, but a player like him is a luxury, not a necessity.

Against a deep team like Chicago who has Toews on one line and Kane on another (or Pittsburgh with Crosby/Malkin), obviously Suter/Spurgeon will take one line, but who would you want to go against the other? It's Brodin and it's not even a debatable. Brodin's defense, skating, elusiveness, transition game, and first pass are all excellent, and his offensive game has improved this year. He's a special player who is one of the best young d-men in the NHL and we absolutely cannot lose him for nothing. He must be protected.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I also could not disagree more.

Brodin is priority #1A or 1B, along with Spurgeon, in terms of the defensemen who could be exposed who we need to protect.

Since they won't take Folin, ideally LV would take Scandella because he is our most replaceable d-man. Dumba is a nice guy to have, but a player like him is a luxury, not a necessity.

Against a deep team like Chicago who has Toews on one line and Kane on another (or Pittsburgh with Crosby/Malkin), obviously Suter/Spurgeon will take one line, but who would you want to go against the other? It's Brodin and it's not even a debatable. Brodin's defense, skating, elusiveness, transition game, and first pass are all excellent, and his offensive game has improved this year. He's a special player who is one of the best young d-men in the NHL and we absolutely cannot lose him for nothing. He must be protected.

I agree with you fully. Brodin is something special defensively.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can't disagree more.

Dumba has been exposed over the past 3 weeks. In a bad way. He was not good last night, awful against 'Peg. Scandella has been fine but nowhere near Brodin's level.

Also, our PK has gotten worse as well.

Scandella has been pretty bad for what I'm used to seeing him do in years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad