All purpose draft-gripe thread

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I know you're likely just griping in general about him as following his progress has been frustrating

But wasn't Jensen a BPA at the time ? If I recall, it was something like Jensen, Rattie, and Jenner that were ranked all to be late 1st/early 2nd

Obviously in hindsight Jenner would have been amazing to pick, and no doubt people here wanted Jenner at the time as well

But hard to fault the Jensen pick at 29 when he was still a BPA pick

(For the record, I wanted Rattie at the time, and he hasn't been the most amazing prospect either, though has been better than Jensen)

Saad was BPA by a larger margin.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm not so sure. I am not the biggest fan of McKeown. He is unspectacular in every way and I've fallen for that before, in Matt Finn.

Is this season not draft+2?

Yup, I had it wrong. Draft + 2. Had a 'down year' in his draft + 1 season, but now seems to be picking it up.

Unspectacular can break both ways. Yes there is Finn, but there is also Severson. Main point being, I would have liked to have him here (in the org.) instead of Vey.

He's not really the best prospect picked there so it's strange to single him out just because the Kings picked him.

Brandon Mountour, Maxim Letunov, Ryan Donato & especially Christian Dvorak all look like excellent picks around that spot. Like 1st round value type of excellent.

I single him out because I probably would have picked him there. This, along with the Kings actually picking him, ties that player to the pick for me.

Donato was another good one. Dvorak is amazing. True, they would have been better, but even less than the best, McKeown was a much better shot in the dark than Vey has been in the daylight.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And he fell halfways into the 2nd round
Wasn't just us passing on him, even though everyone who could have picked him looks silly now

Injury scare. You honestly never know how a prospect will recover from a significant injury. Look no further than Virtanen.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Saad was BPA by a larger margin.

that explains why basically every team passed on him, some many times. Even Chicago themselves passed on him 3 times, including 18th, 26th and 36th picks. That's right they didn't even think he was worth picking up after the canucks picked :laugh:

Benning and his boys passed on Saad twice, including with the lowly 40th pick! :laugh:

/micdrop

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Probably not. Because if Nylander was a canuck he would be playing full time and we probably wouldn't be a bottom 5 team.

Nylander + Laine would be insane though.

We could have had Nylander + Nylander to replace Sedin + Sedin...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I mean, when your team is that inconceivably bad 3v3...it's the smart and reasonable thing to do. :D

Here's the thing.

I don't know if it's WD or if it's the players.

- We're "supposed" to be this much faster team this season with the acquisition of Brandon Sutter and Matt Bartkowski and to a certain degree we are. Sutter is a much faster skater than Bonino and Bart is a faster skater than Bieksa. Right?

- We are also a much younger team with Bae, Virt and McCann in the line up and 3v3 is most definitely a young man's game. Right? But yet, none of these guys have gotten any significant minutes in OT until recently.

- Up till November 12 we had a healthy Sutter. Up till November 12, we had 5 OT losses. So 5 out of the 9 OTLs that have occurred, occurred with a fully healthy line up.

- 3v3 is the ultimate test in line matching. It's 3 players against 3 players. Does WD pick his 3v3 players based on the players the opposing coach throws out or is he ol' 1-2-3-4 Willie? I don't know. I think this would be a very good question to ask him.

IMO, WD really screwed the pooch to start this season. His moronic ice time deployments to start the season (kids sitting in the 3rd) was a real detriment to the team in terms of developing chemistry. I am also fairly certain that somewhere in his coaching incompetence he lost Vrbata.

What's most concerning to me about this article is the "possibility" that those OTLs are actually because of WD but as it's almost impossible to prove, our leaders, the Sedins, have bought into the narrative that "we suck at overtime".

It's fairly depressing. :baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2