All purpose draft-gripe thread

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well I'll admit I never expected Nichushkin's career to be derailed due to injury, I'll give you that. But as of right now neither player is exactly lighting it up.

Which is why the "I told you so's" generally take awhile. I'm not saying the Horvat crowd should get to say anything, but things look a lot different today than 18 months ago. And the same could still be true for Virtanen in 18 months. When you're dealing with 18 and 19 year old kids there is still a lot that can change.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
When is it no longer too early to say "I told you so"?

How long did it take for Nino Neiderreiter to go from El Nino, to a bust, to an ahl player, to a 20 goal top 6 winger?

More generally i'd say: When the players you're referencing are considered too old to be called kids by most people.

At the very least maybe wait until there's a 2 in front of their age, or for the really patient when they can legally get a beer in the US.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Who were the guys you wanted in 2014? Curious to hear.

ehlers and barbashev

edit: wait, how the **** is barbashev playing with the wolves?

must be at the right age cutoff. dang, he'd look good on the comets

Last edited:

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
When is it no longer too early to say "I told you so"?

Serious answer - probably 3-4 years or so. There's too many cases of players struggling to make an NHL impact in their first few years and then breaking out to be fully confident about which player will have a better career before that.

See: Ladd, Turris, Johansen. Those are just some top 5 draft picks in the last while who looked no better than bottom 6 players for their first few years.

Trying to figure out the better player after 1-2 years may have resulted in the following I told you so's

Gagner over Turris
Olesz over Ladd (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=263547)
Skinner in a landslide over Johansen (30 goal scorer as a rookie, while Johansen didn't do much in the NHL until draft +4)

The Olesz/Ladd link is pretty telling about the pitfalls of evaluating players 2 years post draft. Ladd was mostly ranked 4th or 5th out of 6 young players. None of the other players are in the NHL any more, and the player with the second best career in that group after Ladd was Wolski.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
ehlers and barbashev

edit: wait, how the **** is barbashev playing with the wolves?

must be at the right age cutoff. dang, he'd look good on the comets

Interesting, those were my two choices as well.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Interesting, those were my two choices as well.

Same. I think they were the consensus picks around here.

I think there was a poll for who we wanted, and it went Ehlers > Nylander > Virtanen > Richie, which is also the order I wanted. Mostly because I believe I heard Richie had concussion issues and that scares me in a draft pick. Then I think everyone flipped out a little bit when we didn't pick Barbashev, but we calmed down pretty quick because McCann was a solid pick as well, no complains there.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Same. I think they were the consensus picks around here.

I think there was a poll for who we wanted, and it went Ehlers > Nylander > Virtanen > Richie, which is also the order I wanted. Mostly because I believe I heard Richie had concussion issues and that scares me in a draft pick. Then I think everyone flipped out a little bit when we didn't pick Barbashev, but we calmed down pretty quick because McCann was a solid pick as well, no complains there.

I think people on here calmed down when 8 more teams passed on Barbashev and he fell to #33.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think people on here calmed down when 8 more teams passed on Barbashev and he fell to #33.

I think people were expecting Benning to get some meat and potatoes, and worried about him not picking Russians. While we all wanted Barbashev, some posters came out with reports on McCann and that settled a lot of people down.

Barbashev had a hell of a season last year though and is looking good right now. It will be interesting to see how Barbashev compares to McCann in future years. It's also important to note that while McCann is a very Gillis pick, he also would not pick Barbashev as he didn't seem to want to pick Russians ever. So even if Barbashev turns out amazing, it's not one of those times where the argument could be made that Gillis would have taken him if he were still GM. There is literally no reason for anyone to bash the McCann pick anymore, solid pick that looks to be turning out well.

I wonder if we would have taken Barbashev over Demko at 36 if he were still available. Would be interesting to see where the scouting staff ranked those two, along with McCann, Pastrnak, Scherbak and Goldobin.

Edit: I mean I wonder if Benning would have taken Barbashev over Demko if Barbashev was still available.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
no. gillis categorically would not have picked barbashev. I would have been mad at him there too

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think people were expecting Benning to get some meat and potatoes, and worried about him not picking Russians. While we all wanted Barbashev, some posters came out with reports on McCann and that settled a lot of people down.

Barbashev had a hell of a season last year though and is looking good right now. It will be interesting to see how Barbashev compares to McCann in future years. It's also important to note that while McCann is a very Gillis pick, he also would not pick Barbashev as he didn't seem to want to pick Russians ever. So even if Barbashev turns out amazing, it's not one of those times where the argument could be made that Gillis would have taken him if he were still GM. There is literally no reason for anyone to bash the McCann pick anymore, solid pick that looks to be turning out well.

I wonder if we would have taken Barbashev over Demko at 36 if he were still available. Would be interesting to see where the scouting staff ranked those two, along with McCann, Pastrnak, Scherbak and Goldobin.

Edit: I mean I wonder if Benning would have taken Barbashev over Demko if Barbashev was still available.

Yeah. McCann reeks of typical Gillis "slider pick" with a late 1st like that. Don't think it's a stretch to say he very well could have been the Gillis pick (especially with the late emphasis on OHL).

The one that makes me shudder a bit...is musing about how Gillis might have handled Ho-Sang. We'll never know, and the story is still far from finished there...but that idea makes me nervous.

Whatever the case on the McCann vs Barbashev thing down the road...ultimately, if McCann pans out as a top-9 NHL forward for us (and it's super early, but despite the ups and downs, he looks well on his way to flashing at least top-9 upside @ 19 years of age), if you can get that type of one-shot scorer top-9 center with a late 1st, you're cooking with fire.

There's always something to nitpick about, someone picked later who was better. That's not reasonable expectation though.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Nylander 1st in AHL scoring.......... :help:

I'm not a fan of the virtanen pick that high, as much as anyone really, but people leading the ahl in scoring don't really impress me. I.e. If anyone remembers Jason krug, or even as recently as linden vey.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not a fan of the virtanen pick that high, as much as anyone really, but people leading the ahl in scoring don't really impress me. I.e. If anyone remembers Jason krug, or even as recently as linden vey.

he's carrying his linemates though. he's a fantastic player. difference b/w those kinds of players is you could see by watching that they would be limited at the nhl level.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It may or may not translate to the NHL.

But I'm still pretty damn impressed by it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Completely different situations. Krug was a career AHLer and Vey didn't dominate the AHL until he was like 23.

Nylander is the best player in the AHL. He's 19.

He was by far my preferred pick in 2014 and my most objective measures it looks pretty justified.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I wanted Ritchie but what do I know.

He had a lot of fans on this board after his 5 goal game pre draft.

This board was pretty close between Nylander (my pick) and Ehlers. Virtanen was pretty much thought of as Raffi Torres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad