All purpose draft-gripe thread

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I'm not a fan of the virtanen pick that high, as much as anyone really, but people leading the ahl in scoring don't really impress me. I.e. If anyone remembers Jason krug, or even as recently as linden vey.

Not even the same thing, what Nylander is doing as a teenager is pretty impressive

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Comparing Nylander to Jason "Krug"

Most hfboardesque post I've seen in awhile

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have an uneasy feeling already that the 2014 draft will be compared to the '05 draft when Nonis took the late Luc Bourdon at 10th and the Kings were stunned to get Kopitar with the 11th pick.....ouch!....we'd have probably won a Cup with the latter.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
well heres the thing. if nylander doesnt project, at least you could say like.. well something had to go wrong

if virtanen only projects to the nhl hes still a bad player. he has to improve as a hockey player substantially. nylander is already there

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
well heres the thing. if nylander doesnt project, at least you could say like.. well something had to go wrong

if virtanen only projects to the nhl hes still a bad player. he has to improve as a hockey player substantially. nylander is already there

I agree here, Jake needs to get better/more comfortable at the pro level. Nylander on the other hand is in his 3rd pro season.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Virtanens so loved by hfboard Canucks fans he gets 2 threads about him :sarcasm:
Well, I get why. Contrary to the historical exaggerations on this board (both among fans and haters), the Canucks have actually been a decent team now for about half their history. Since Pat Quinn came along, they've hardly been the doormat in the way that NHL conventional wisdom likes to paint them – they have picked in the top 5 all of twice in the two and a half decades since Petr Nedved (Bryan Allen and Sedins in back-to-back seasons)... So picking very high is a rare opportunity and one that the club can't afford to blow in a salary cap era.

It's the same reason that concern was immediately expressed here about going for Luc Bourdon – no disrespect intended – over Anze Kopitar, even though that was only 10th overall (but in a strong draft class). There is good reason to get nervous over "project" type players when a surer thing seems to be sitting there, because you don't know when the next time may arise to pick that high. And recent history shows there is no better way to stock talent on a club. So botching a high pick has a pretty profound implication, especially for a team in need of some turnover.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, I get why. Contrary to the historical exaggerations on this board (both among fans and haters), the Canucks have actually been a decent team now for about half their history. Since Pat Quinn came along, they've hardly been the doormat in the way that NHL conventional wisdom likes to paint them – they have picked in the top 5 all of twice in the two and a half decades since Petr Nedved (Bryan Allen and Sedins in back-to-back seasons)... So picking very high is a rare opportunity and one that the club can't afford to blow in a salary cap era.

It's the same reason that concern was immediately expressed here about going for Luc Bourdon – no disrespect intended – over Anze Kopitar, even though that was only 10th overall (but in a strong draft class). There is good reason to get nervous over "project" type players when a surer thing seems to be sitting there, because you don't know when the next time may arise to pick that high. And recent history shows there is no better way to stock talent on a club. So botching a high pick has a pretty profound implication, especially for a team in need of some turnover.

I get your point...In '05 the NHL was coming out of a lock-out year and all the teams were thrown into the draft lottery...and all had an equal chance to move up to No. 1 and draft Sidney Crosby....the Canucks actually had a decent year and were supposed to pick in the 23-24 range, but against all odds actually moved up to 10th....but still, if by some miracle the Canuck scouts had rolled the dice on Kopitar, they'd have won the Cup for sure in 2011 imo.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
McCann Nylander Tkachuk
Shinkaruk Horvat Boeser

If we picked Nylander ^^

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I get your point...In '05 the NHL was coming out of a lock-out year and all the teams were thrown into the draft lottery...and all had an equal chance to move up to No. 1 and draft Sidney Crosby....the Canucks actually had a decent year and were supposed to pick in the 23-24 range, but against all odds actually moved up to 10th....but still, if by some miracle the Canuck scouts had rolled the dice on Kopitar, they'd have won the Cup for sure in 2011 imo.

Hindsight is great but I think that if we had Kopitar we probably wouldn't have had Kesler in 2011.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The lottery was still weighted based on the previous few seasons, in fact, so Pittsburgh had 3 entries to Vancouver's 1, for example. But anyone could have been drawn first. The Canucks were one of the teams that actually got pretty lucky with the results, all told... the source of a lot of very tragic irony three years later with Bourdon.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Look at what Rantanen is doing in the AHL.

Then look at his draft year.

Then look at where we stand in the standings.

Then look at Laine who is 6'5" putting up better numbers then Rantanen.

Then forget about Nylander.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
nvm this post

2014 is a very verry verrrry good draft now that some of the players are breaking out

was declared as the weakest, idc what hindsight warriors say but it was

really helps that Draisaitl is going beastmode, and Larkin would go top 5 in any year

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Look at what Rantanen is doing in the AHL.

Then look at his draft year.

Then look at where we stand in the standings.

Then look at Laine who is 6'5" putting up better numbers then Rantanen.

Then forget about Nylander.

or we could have both

you cant have too many good players, man

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
or we could have both

you cant have too many good players, man

BPA, get the best overall players. Trying to pencil in every drafted prospected into future lineups and bypassing BPA for "balance" is stupid. This isn't the NFL, the draft is too much of a crapshoot to take a lesser prospect because you want a certain position or role filled.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Have an uneasy feeling already that the 2014 draft will be compared to the '05 draft when Nonis took the late Luc Bourdon at 10th and the Kings were stunned to get Kopitar with the 11th pick.....ouch!....we'd have probably won a Cup with the latter.

And the funny part about both of these blunders is that the majority of people on HF knew 100% that Kopitar/Nylander/Ehlers were superior players and watched in disbelief as incompetent management tried to play it "safe" instead of going for what all statistics pointed to as a 1st line future star.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I have seen this in many threads, but you guys are also forgetting White over Perron. Beyond the past couple years of some struggles, he would still probably be Kesler's best and most skilled winger not named Sundin and would help in our potential 2011 cup win/run, either as a player or trade chip.

Not sure about the cap situation... Perron was only making 2.15M that year but this looks nice:

Sedins-Burrows
Perron - Kopitar - Kesler

Ahhh what-ifs are nice to dream about...

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Yea, no disrespect to Luc obviously, but that pick is just so frustrating on a different level. After years of "canucks-luck", we finally caught a break picking higher than expected due to the lottery, AND a franchise-type Center somehow fell to us due to some questionable picks. FINALLY after all these years something went our way, and what do we do? We pass it up for lord knows why.

I really hope virtanen works out for us because this franchise cannot afford to blow a 6th overall pick with the shallow depth of bluechip prospect. Still wish we picked nylander. Having him, horvat and McCann down the middle...you have everything. Elite playmaker, strong two way Center, and a speedy guy with a good shot. What could've been...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Musing today: How good would it be to have Roland McKeown in this organization right now? 28 points in 30 games for the Fronts.

3rd leading scorer on the team. Draft +1 year.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Musing today: How good would it be to have Roland McKeown in this organization right now? 28 points in 30 games for the Fronts.

I'm not so sure. I am not the biggest fan of McKeown. He is unspectacular in every way and I've fallen for that before, in Matt Finn.

Is this season not draft+2?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Just wanted to gripe about the Jensen pick- just bad. His best work being done in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Switzerland, Sweden or maybe if he's lucky the KHL

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

He's not really the best prospect picked there so it's strange to single him out just because the Kings picked him.

Brandon Mountour, Maxim Letunov, Ryan Donato & especially Christian Dvorak all look like excellent picks around that spot. Like 1st round value type of excellent.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Just wanted to gripe about the Jensen pick- just bad. His best work being done in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Switzerland, Sweden or maybe if he's lucky the KHL

I know you're likely just griping in general about him as following his progress has been frustrating

But wasn't Jensen a BPA at the time ? If I recall, it was something like Jensen, Rattie, and Jenner that were ranked all to be late 1st/early 2nd

Obviously in hindsight Jenner would have been amazing to pick, and no doubt people here wanted Jenner at the time as well

But hard to fault the Jensen pick at 29 when he was still a BPA pick

(For the record, I wanted Rattie at the time, and he hasn't been the most amazing prospect either, though has been better than Jensen)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00