All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVIV: We're Goin Off The Rail On A Crazy Monorail

Best Fries?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
You had to be there, the Dead concerts of the late 1960s/early 1970s were totally mellow, you'd have a lot of freaks running around, but I don't remember a fight or any kind of incident - of course, there was Altamont, but that wasn't a "Dead" crowd.

It wasn't until the late 1970s/1980s when crowds shifted from the Dead Heads who went for the music to the ones who went for the "experience" and the frat boys who went to drink and party ("one in ten thousand that come for the show").

The Rolling Stones Disaster at Altamont: Let It Bleed

That was the source for "New Speedway Boogie"

1969-1974 to me are the peak years, by 1969 they had played enough to be polished (see Live/Dead) and in 1970-1972 their writing took off.
Losing Pigpen took some of the soul out of the band but Keith Godchaux was a much better musician.

When they came back after their hiatus, something was lost, but they were still a fine band through the 1970s, but Lesh's alcoholism and Jerry's heroin addiction gradually wore the band down before they rebounded in the 1989-1991 period.

Europe 1972 and the 2nd Live/Dead albums weren't optimal, the Dick Picks and the other "official bootlegs" from that period are better.

More good stuff, DH!

I knew the background behind New Speedway Boogie. One of my favorite songs, and I often use that lazy shuffle as a warm up whenever I play my drums.

Pigpen was the balls of the band. Keith was a great pianist, but I love that short period when it was just Pig on the Hammond. They played well off each other as well when Keith came on board.

Late 68 through 73 is my favorite era, with a preference for the one-drummer period in there. I thought that when it was just Bill they had more swing and flow. Europe 72 is good, but processed. I prefer the bootlegs of the original shows. Bickershaw might be my favorite out of all of them from that run.

74 had the full wall of sound, but it sounds too compressed to me on recordings, even in the soundboards. By 77 they sounded good, but more machine-like and polished, and they lost some of the swing (in my opinion).

There aren't very many latter era songs that I like. Althea would be one that I really enjoy.

Last edited:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Golfing now absolutely sucks. Since it's basically the only thing people can get out and do, the courses are packed. We quit yesterday after it took 2 hours and 45 minutes to play the front 9. Got to 10 and there were 3 groups on the hole, a par 3. It's absolutely miserable
That's half the reason I haven't gone yet. I think I'll go when Chester county goes to yellow. I'll do early tee times.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Golfing now absolutely sucks. Since it's basically the only thing people can get out and do, the courses are packed. We quit yesterday after it took 2 hours and 45 minutes to play the front 9. Got to 10 and there were 3 groups on the hole, a par 3. It's absolutely miserable

The golf courses should be limiting the number of people allowed in to avoid situations like that.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The golf courses should be limiting the number of people allowed in to avoid situations like that.

It's a public course, gotta make up for the money they missed out on.

To be fair, they do a really good job of keeping social distancing in the clubhouse and on the range

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
zRA6aa0.gif

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
That's half the reason I haven't gone yet. I think I'll go when Chester county goes to yellow. I'll do early tee times.
Yeah, it's miserable right now. I had roll over vacation days from last year and took a few mornings off to go out and play early. That was awesome. Got out at 8 and we were done by 11:15. That's how golf should be played.

Heading down the Bulle Rock to play tomorrow. That's a great track

Reactions: VladDrag

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You can’t have lawlessness in the streets. Innocent people being attacked, property being destroyed. There’s no justification for random public violence.

Reactions: pacehimself

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Reactions: The Rage Kage

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
The boogaloo is a meme. I’m sure maybe 1% of the people that have seen it think it’s actually real, and want civil break down to happen.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey, remember this post? Can we at least pretend we're following it? The last two pages have been on another level.

Alright, here's my stance on this whole ordeal. If you want to post updates/things that are going on with these protests it's fine but when you go into deeper discussion about the topic at hand that's where i'm drawing the line. This includes Orange Man Bad and Orange Man Good. It doesn't provide any discernible value so let's not go down that road, please. Jojo begs you so that he can get a remodeled bathroom.

It's not allowed by site rules to talk about politics. We've allowed you guys rope this entire time so please don't hang yourselves or maybe do and it'll make my life easier.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They were robbing Amazon trucks in Mayfair earlier today. I guess in a sense I’m not surprised but why the hell would they even be out there in hot spots of rioting/looting? Not that I really give a shit about Amazon but that’s not fair to their drivers to be put at risk like that.

Reactions: kudymen and Tripod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad