All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVIV: We're Goin Off The Rail On A Crazy Monorail

Best Fries?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To mellow things a bit, I'm driving from Harrisburg to the high peaks region of the Adirondacks tomorrow for a few days of hiking. It will be great to get away from everything for a few days.

I know many dislike the Grateful Dead, and I did too when I was a metalhead teenager, but I came to appreciate them as I aged. When I leave the driveway tomorrow, I'm putting on the RFK Stadium show from 1973. I did it once before and it took me past Albany before it was over. I don't know the official stats, but I think it might have been their longest show ever....like 4.5 - 5 hours long. I don't care who you are, that's a LONG time to be playing!

The "Here Comes Sunshine" from that show was sublime, IMO. (For the uninitiated, yes, the song is long, but it does pick up as it goes along.) Good music for cruising endless miles on interstates. My favorite part is coming out of the little breakdown that starts at 5:48.

That was a great show, I was there both days/nights, jumping through the Doors of Perception.
A great time was had by all.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m watching CNN and what the security forces are doing to these peaceful protesters by the White House is absolutely disgusting.

I was watching that too. Wild.

Looks like Jabba just slithered out of his bunker to spew some word salad with spittle dressing on the white house lawn :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yet so many are focusing on looters. It blows my mind.

Theres so much happening its hard to even keep up with and im sure whatever is being said right now by Jabba is going to make it worse.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Looks like Jabba just slithered out of his bunker to spew some word salad with spittle dressing on the white house lawn :laugh:

His speech sounded like something Putin or some other autocrat would say.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Interesting how much urgency there is to mobilize a response to the protests while COVID was downplayed and the response an utter mess.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Good stuff, DH! To me, it's good stuff in an unaltered state as well, lol.

You had to be there, the Dead concerts of the late 1960s/early 1970s were totally mellow, you'd have a lot of freaks running around, but I don't remember a fight or any kind of incident - of course, there was Altamont, but that wasn't a "Dead" crowd.

It wasn't until the late 1970s/1980s when crowds shifted from the Dead Heads who went for the music to the ones who went for the "experience" and the frat boys who went to drink and party ("one in ten thousand that come for the show").

The Rolling Stones Disaster at Altamont: Let It Bleed

That was the source for "New Speedway Boogie"

1969-1974 to me are the peak years, by 1969 they had played enough to be polished (see Live/Dead) and in 1970-1972 their writing took off.
Losing Pigpen took some of the soul out of the band but Keith Godchaux was a much better musician.

When they came back after their hiatus, something was lost, but they were still a fine band through the 1970s, but Lesh's alcoholism and Jerry's heroin addiction gradually wore the band down before they rebounded in the 1989-1991 period.

Europe 1972 and the 2nd Live/Dead albums weren't optimal, the Dick Picks and the other "official bootlegs" from that period are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad