Which is greatest and best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Dude. IKEA is the answer. Go to the pillow section and find the one that bends easily. It is the greatest pillow in the world.

1. I AM serious.
2. Don't call me Shirley.
I have tested those IKEA pillows...haven't really seen one to my liking. Of course this was pre-covid. Will not touch one of those oversized microbial sponges ever again. I commend people who can sleep without one. My ex gf used to do it but she looked like a vampire in a coffin....back sleeper and barely moved. I need pillows for head leverage and airflow...

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
EXSAKXiUEAAcQYL.jpg

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I don’t know about the neighboring states but in DE you have to wear a mask on the beach boardwalks.

But quite a lot of morons at the grocery stores have their noses sticking out of the top of their masks, defeating the whole purpose of wearing one. It’s like wearing a condom that’s just a tube.

i am guilty of the nose thing..having to be in it for 5+ hours i can't readily breath great nor unfog my glasses while working with the thing over my nose

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have tested those IKEA pillows...haven't really seen one to my liking. Of course this was pre-covid. Will not touch one of those oversized microbial sponges ever again. I commend people who can sleep without one. My ex gf used to do it but she looked like a vampire in a coffin....back sleeper and barely moved. I need pillows for head leverage and airflow...

I agree on the IKEA pillow that @Captain Dave Poulin suggested. I have two of them and two "normal" pillows... one stacked on top of the other is pretty much perfect.

I sleep on side or front so just have to have a pillow.

I actually have more trouble with mattresses than pillows. Really hard to find a comfy one... especially if in same bed as someone else who is a drastically different weight.

Actually seriously keep thinking about messaging an Air b'n'b host from earlier in the year and asking for the mattress the place had as it was absolutely the best mattress I have ever slept on. :laugh:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree on the IKEA pillow that @Captain Dave Poulin suggested. I have two of them and two "normal" pillows... one stacked on top of the other is pretty much perfect.

I sleep on side or front so just have to have a pillow.

I actually have more trouble with mattresses than pillows. Really hard to find a comfy one... especially if in same bed as someone else who is a drastically different weight.

Actually seriously keep thinking about messaging an Air b'n'b host from earlier in the year and asking for the mattress the place had as it was absolutely the best mattress I have ever slept on. :laugh:
Mattresses deserve their own thread....they are like the Riddle of the Sphinx. My present one is ok . .spent a good chunk of money. The same people that can sleep with no pillow seem to be able to sleep on a slab of marble. I have a Japanese friend ...she can sleep anywhere and is a minimalist with bedding in general...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just slop "Come and See" into the list. And "Stalingrad."

Just don't watch them back to back for your own well-being.

Come and See ended up making it.

Me and my 18 year old brother were the first to submit our lists...

had 9/50 that were the same haha. Which is quite a lot considering the criteria, though we do have similar taste.

So I got 4 extra choices:

Come and See
A Dog's Will
Life is Beautiful (@Carter Hart now there is an Italian film on the list for you!)
Embrace the Serpent

Were the ones I chose.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

had 9/50 that were the same haha. Which is quite a lot considering the criteria, though we do have similar taste.

Come and See
A Dog's Will
Life is Beautiful (@Carter Hart now there is an Italian film on the list for you!)
Embrace the Serpent

Were the ones I chose.
Life is Beautiful was good and got mainstream credit back in the day however I would say films like Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino are better. Johnny Stecchino was a great comedy as well and of course starred Roberto Benigni...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Life is Beautiful was good and got mainstream credit back in the day however I would say films like Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino are better. Johnny Stecchino was a great comedy as well and of course starred Roberto Begnini...

Cinema Paradiso is on my own personal list of ones to watch. But just missed out on the top 50 and then the 4 replacements. Heard some great things about it from a couple of Italian friends.

Il Postino I have heard of but I guess always avoided as I pretty much hate romantic films in general... and even a lot of good ones where it is not the main plot point but a heavy subplot I dislike that aspect. :laugh: As so few films actually portray romance well or in a close to realistic way I think. As soon as I cant really relate to people or understand why they would do something in any way during a film it loses so much impact for me, and I rarely relate to the way romance is in films! There are exceptions of course...

Then again one of my brothers has trouble with my film choices generally as anything "feel-good" or "uplifting" I have a slight aversion too... and my uplifting and fun is existentialist and generally dark, or at least "gritty", which generally is likely to trouble him at times. :help: When he sits at the end of a film looking emotionally exhausted and a bit white in the face with a head full of thoughts I generally just have a wry smile and a thoughtful look haha.

I am a really, really upbeat, optimistic, energetic and happy person but my absurdist leanings mean when it comes to art in general I kind of enjoy... well... stuff that to many might feel psychologically or intrinsically disturbing. :laugh: (though I dont generally like horror (well, slasher mainly) films, partially as most suck, but also as I have too active an imagination! Although there are major exceptions. The Shining is in my favourite ~10 films ever.)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Stalingrad is great. I highly recommend it if you never feel like smiling ever again.

I will for sure see it at some point. Tbh I would guess my 18 year old brother might have included it on his list.

For sure will be a split room. Me and my 18 year old brother "enjoy" films that are generally seen as depressing. Or at least are fine with them. My 25 year old brother and 15 year old brother "struggle" a bit more with them. They can appreciate them but are not the same for a day or so!

I guess of the 100 films we chose between me and my 18 year old bro we will have included ~95 crime/war/thriller/psychological/drama films... and less than 5 comedies, and no feel-good type films! While my 25 year old brother will have put in like 35 comedies and nothing too dark.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Come and See
A Dog's Will
Embrace the Serpent

Were the ones I chose.

Come and See is extremely interesting. For a Soviet culture that hyped up the heroism of the war, this...doesn't. It looks at the sheer trauma of it. It doesn't make the Soviets particularly heroic in a traditional sense though. It is "Deer Hunter" on steroids which is fitting considering the Soviet experience in the war. It's very worth seeing for anyone who is a film buff but it is not uplifting. But it is very good.

"Stalingrad" by the same dude who did Das Boot is also worth seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad