• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
@Appleyard

If you really like In Bruges, give The Guard a watch. Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle are the two main stars.

Probably in my top 5 films from the 2010s and barely anyway I know saw it. Has a very In Bruges feel to it... and happens to star one of the same actors. :laugh:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Silence by Ingmar Bergman (a good classical director of the moody and grim....but also the deeply human and funny) is one of the most disquieting movies I’ve ever seen not about a historical event or a tragedy. It’s purposefully vague in just about every detail. It’s 2 hours of semi-philosophical dread and foreboding with some of the best camera work of its time. Weird but watchable, and one you’ll turn over in your head afterwards. Also, of no less importance, there are attractive Swedish actresses.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You owe it to yourself to try and watch the Christmas special. I got 10 minutes in and called it quits.

Other films with the SBA seal of recommendation, with no regards to actual quality and genre:

Alien
Aliens
The Great Dictator
Anything Mel Brooks
Evil Dead 1/2/Army of Darkness
Blade Runner
Lawrence of Arabia
The Boondocks Saints
The Worlds End
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Hell or High Water
Life of Brian
Locke
The Death of Stalin
Tremors
Hero
Pans Labyrinth
Wind River
Anything with Nic Cage

You've already got Chaplin, so you should give yourself the opportunity to see a silent film: Modern Times. Chaplin was an unparalleled genius.

And then if you like that then Metropolis and The General are probably the two other musts.

If you can get past the religious aspect, Ben Hur is great. If you can't get past the religious aspect, at least watch it through the chariot race. The chariot race is film making at its best but it kind of requires the buildup for full effect; also the scene between Massala and Judah immediately after. Also Alec Guinness is in it, because he was in apparently every great epic film of that era.

Speaking of epic movies with Alec (and Omar Sharif), Doctor Zhivago is really f***ing good. It's a slow burn and very much a character study. Same director as Lawrence of Arabia. What he does for the desert in Lawrence he does for the brutal cold of a Russian winter. Not exactly an actiony film though.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If you’ve seen more Fast and the Furious movies than Chaplin + Keaton movies, you’re dead to me.

Everyone here has seen Cool Hand Luke right? What a collection of great lines.

"What we have here, is failure to communicate" is one I use in everyday life as much as I can.

Yessir. I am a sucker for sweaty movies set in the South. Adding in Paul Newman just makes it unfair.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@Appleyard

If you really like In Bruges, give The Guard a watch. Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle are the two main stars.

Probably in my top 5 films from the 2010s and barely anyway I know saw it. Has a very In Bruges feel to it... and happens to star one of the same actors. :laugh:

"A bottle!" is another line I like to use IRL often but not many people appreciate it. But I do.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be honest, Chaplin and Keaton leave me cold, but so does The Fast and the Furious.

However, "The Life of Brian" is one of the funniest movies ever made (and will take the bad taste out of your mouth from the last 30 minutes of Ben Hur).

Have to wonder why Charlton Heston got the juicy ancient Hebrew roles with a real Hebrew available in Kirk Douglas?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To be honest, Chaplin and Keaton leave me cold, but so does The Fast and the Furious.

However, "The Life of Brian" is one of the funniest movies ever made (and will take the bad taste out of your mouth from the last 30 minutes of Ben Hur).

Have to wonder why Charlton Heston got the juicy ancient Hebrew roles with a real Hebrew available in Kirk Douglas?

Douglas easily could have carried either role as well, too.

I like this solution of Life of Brian as an antidote for Ben-Hur's ending. That's a pretty ideal solution for people not into the religion aspect.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
On behalf of all of us in the non-US part of the world -- except for Russia and probably North Korea -- may we ask that you teleport past the pre-, peri-, and post-election violence that I am personally fearful could reach civil war levels in some areas and get back to doing some global leadership, please?

Don't take the showmanship in front of cameras too seriously, there's a subset of Americans who like to play to the camera, especially the gun guys.

As long as Biden doesn't self-destruct (or go crazy pandering to the Left), Trump will defeat himself.

You think anyone over 65 is voting for Trump when the death toll exceeds 200,000 by the end of September and he's crowing about how the economy is coming back?
[we'll be at a 100,000 next week, and with 130 days until October after that, 800 a day will take us past 200,000. With states opening up, and idiots on parade, I'd take that bet in Vegas. 1,394 deaths in the last day and we won't see the impact of state actions for two more weeks]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@MiamiScreamingEagles

What is your quarantine recommendation for Eastwood films?

I'd personally go with any Leone film. Especially any "Once Upon A Times," just for the sheer amount of time they can eat.

A Fist Full of Dollars and a For a Few Dollars More are Sergio's Western Samurai movies (Fistful is a rip-off of Kurosawa's Yojimbo).

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
is the classic (3rd of these "Man With No Name" movies), my brothers and I would keep a body count.
I don't know I'd call it a "good movie," but it's one of those must watch movies, just to see Eli Wallach chew up the screen.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
All this movie talk has worn out kitty.

20200517_213029.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Don't take the showmanship in front of cameras too seriously, there's a subset of Americans who like to play to the camera, especially the gun guys.

As long as Biden doesn't self-destruct (or go crazy pandering to the Left), Trump will defeat himself.

You think anyone over 65 is voting for Trump when the death toll exceeds 200,000 by the end of September and he's crowing about how the economy is coming back?
[we'll be at a 100,000 next week, and with 130 days until October after that, 800 a day will take us past 200,000. With states opening up, and idiots on parade, I'd take that bet in Vegas. 1,394 deaths in the last day and we won't see the impact of state actions for two more weeks]

Thanks, Dead. My degree in journalism should inoculate me from the forced polarization and conflict. I don't at all think that it will be a true Rebs versus Yanks re-enactment, but it's worrisome as an outsider what the lunatic fringe will do on the opposite side of whichever of the 2 can'tidates get elected.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Speaking of Kurosawa, his The Hidden Fortress was an inspiration for Star Wars.
Rashomon
is one of the great movies of international cinema, and of course so is the Seven Samurai (remade as the Magnificant Seven)
His final masterpiece is Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior, which blew me away the first time I saw it.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

I think you are in for a huge disappointment....

Reactions: Lotusflower

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Come and See is extremely interesting. For a Soviet culture that hyped up the heroism of the war, this...doesn't. It looks at the sheer trauma of it. It doesn't make the Soviets particularly heroic in a traditional sense though. It is "Deer Hunter" on steroids which is fitting considering the Soviet experience in the war. It's very worth seeing for anyone who is a film buff but it is not uplifting. But it is very good.

"Stalingrad" by the same dude who did Das Boot is also worth seeing.

"Cranes are Flying" is the greatest Soviet film, but "Potemkin" is the most important (and 1A greatest).

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Speaking of Kurosawa, his The Hidden Fortress was an inspiration for Star Wars.
Rashomon
is one of the great movies of international cinema, and of course so is the Seven Samurai (remade as the Magnificant Seven)
His final masterpiece is Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior, which blew me away the first time I saw it.

I love 13 Assassins as a modern throwback to that kind of film.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ballad of a Soldier > Cranes Are Flying in my opinion as far as 50s Soviet war films go. I saw them both within a week, and I remember the former a lot more vividly. That’s usually my litmus test. It had a very earnest, emotional sensibility to it and its characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad