All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part V - Janitor in a Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know many Bill Withers songs but Lovely Day is everything I love about 70's soul and one of the first songs I put on my Spotify Chillax playlist. I wish I had the lungpower to hold those long notes when I sing along!

Lovely Day holds the Guiness record for longest note in recording historty!

My other favorite song is Use Me.

Then there are his staples like Aint No Sunshine & Lean On Me.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah they used it as an excuse to get rid of him so they could absolve themselves of wrong-doing for ignoring his pleas to help. You cant leave hundreds of sailors on a ship with this virus, which the Navy was content to do until he took drastic measures. Sometimes you need to break rules to save lives.

Furthermore, my best friend has been in military for 15 years and agrees that their excuse for relieving him was total bullshit and only done because he exposed their embarassing decision-making.
No matter what they did or didn't do (neither of us know what was actually done or what was going to be done) he still can't do that. End of story.

You don't get to choose when you follow the rules in the military. The whole structure is dependent on people following orders in all situations. Especially someone of his rank and position. They had no choice but to remove him after he did that, otherwise others would think they can get away with the same thing in different situations, and that simply can't happen. Someone disobeying orders or leaking things to the press during wartime could cause an unimaginable amount of damage.

The situation sucks, I'm not defending the reaction to his calls for help, and there's plenty of issues all around, but him getting fired after he did that was perfectly acceptable and had to be done. Like I said, he's lucky that's all they did and that he gets to keeps his rank and he's still in the Navy.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
They really are shameless

I know Twitter is a cesspool but I have been monitoring this entire situation like my life depends on it... because well it does (don't need to get into the semantics with that statement). I don't think i've seen one single person post that they were approved or have even had any type of good experience with the program launch.

I understand that the point of the entire thing is to be "simple" and just to get money into peoples hands but issuing a 31 page "guideline" the night before the program is supposed to launch is just mind blowing. None of these banks know what they're supposed to do and then you have other banks that are taking advantage of the situation.

Just an utter clusterf*** for something that is just passing unemployment onto the employer from the government.

We've gone back and forth no less than five times about our calculation regarding how much we can apply for because the law, the guidelines, and the bank are all different things.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know Twitter is a cesspool but I have been monitoring this entire situation like my life depends on it... because well it does (don't need to get into the semantics with that statement). I don't think i've seen one single person post that they were approved or have even had any type of good experience with the program launch.

I understand that the point of the entire thing is to be "simple" and just to get money into peoples hands but issuing a 31 page "guideline" the night before the program is supposed to launch is just mind blowing. None of these banks know what they're supposed to do and then you have other banks that are taking advantage of the situation.

Just an utter clusterf*** for something that is just passing unemployment onto the employer from the government.

My business banker has a call at 3 and is going to update me. Ill let you know what I find out and if we are able to process them. I am home today so cant check first hand.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

We've gone back and forth no less than five times about our calculation regarding how much we can apply for because the law, the guidelines, and the bank are all different things.
Another example of piss poor planning in the face of a crisis....the politicos all pat themselves on the back but then allow a free for all. There is no oversight of this money....there is going to be all sorts of fraud going on and no it is not going to be the anecdotal report of some dude from the hood buying a new iPhone with the money. Standing by for those .....

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
My business banker has a call at 3 and is going to update me. Ill let you know what I find out and if we are able to process them. I am home today so cant check first hand.

We have a good relationship with our bank luckily and it seems like we’ll be able to get it to work out. It’s just that seeing what everyone else is going through and after reading hundreds of pages of laws, guidelines, invoices, etc it’s still not “simple” as much as they want it to.

I appreciate that though, let me know what you may hear.

Reactions: Rebels57

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The problem is right now in the middle of a pandemic everybody wants to blame the President, the Democrats, the Republicans, instead of shutting the f*** up and helping out your family, neighbors, and community, the time wasted on making this thing political is time that could have helped someone, I'm so sick of oh Trump did this, the Dems did that, no one and I repeat no one was prepared for this I don't give a f*** what President was in office, the saddest part is the same people worrying about the politcs of this are the same people who aren't going to actual take the time to reset their lives after this is over and shuffle their priorities, it will be back to the status quo

I think if there was a pivot at this point to be really getting this thing under control there would be less concern about pointing fingers. From the outside right now it looks like there is a lack of a cohesive plan in the United States and as American abroad, with lots of family and friends still there, that terrifies me. I don't care what party is in office as long as it is being handled correctly. And to be clear, while I am completely in favour of people individually doing right by their neighbours and community, this is a situation that requires a strong centralized response with clear messaging.

As a case in point, the premier of Ontario is Doug Ford. Most people outside of Ontario likely would only know him as the brother of Rob Ford, Toronto's infamous crack-smoking mayor. Doug Ford is an incredibly divisive figure that has very low approval ratings. However, in the face of Covid-19 he has stepped up. He puts the scientists front and centre, he has left politics out of it, he is working with a Prime Minister he previously insulted incessantly, and he has done the job that needs to get done. I fundamentally disagree with him on a majority of issues, but I don't have a single thing to say against him in this crisis. He is doing the job. Anyone that steps up and does the job at a time like this, you support because this won't happen solely on the good intentions of people, no matter how important that is as well. It's not enough on its own. A properly researched and coordinated emergency response needs to get into high-gear yesterday for lives to be saved.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I am in need of a pharmacist after todays news. I have a, uhhh.. "prescription".
What do you need?
image.png

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Delaware State Parks are still open, but they shut all the bathrooms till May 15th partly because people were stealing soap and hand sanitizer.

Delaware State Parks to close restrooms, defines permitted activities

Although services are limited, outdoor recreation is still available in compliance with site rules, to include:
  • birding
  • cycling
  • disc golf
  • dog walking
  • fishing in bays, ponds, rivers and streams
  • drive-on surf fishing with restrictions
  • hiking
  • hunting
  • jogging or running
The amenities not available, open and/or permitted include, but are not limited to:
  • basketball courts
  • camping
  • gatherings of 10 or more people
  • guided tours, events and programs
  • playgrounds
  • pavilions
  • public park buildings: state park offices, nature centers
  • restrooms
  • rock climbing
  • surfing and skimboarding
  • walk-on surf fishing
  • sea kayaking from the beach