Coach Discussion: All Purpose Coaching Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In addition to my last post, and if I was Maurice, and my contract was expiring after this season, I would only renew for 1 year, and see what Seattle would offer. Be interesting to see what happens.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I think Maurice would remain in Winnipeg where he has a chance to finally win a cup rather than move to an expansion team which probably would be a long way from being a cup winner.
Salary ÷ Expectations = Comfort (or appeal?)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Article just rehashes the Maurice to Seattle rumour, while pointing out that they believe Maurice’s contract ends this year and why hasn’t he been extended given his fine work this season.

ZzZZzZzZz.

Reactions: Jets 31

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Rumours swirl around Paul Maurice's future with Jets

This is a very eye catching headline. I haven't read it though and I won't because I tend to not pay for news. Anyone want to dive into the details?
He has a very strong connection to Seattle gm Ron Francis. So there's that coupled with this being his last year under contract to the Jets. Minus the fact that he's currently building a multi million dollar house in south Winnipeg.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
He has a very strong connection to Seattle gm Ron Francis. So there's that coupled with this being his last year under contract to the Jets. Minus the fact that he's currently building a multi million dollar house in south Winnipeg.

The kiss of death

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

If you really want to get into reading tea leaves, why not check out the roster of the St. Mary's Flames?

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
118-61-17 record as our head coach. Man thats some great goaltending.

He has been great for the Jets. No doubt about it! I'm under no illusion that a new coach comes with less problems but sometimes a team needs fresh leadership. Paul got two shots at a title with a championship caliber roster and failed (arguably not his fault) but he has already had more chances than most coaches ever get. There shouldn't be anything controversial about wanting a coaching change when he is in his 6th season (2nd longest of any current NHL coaches) and still hasn't brought the cup to Winnipeg.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He has been great for the Jets. No doubt about it! I'm under no illusion that a new coach comes with less problems but sometimes a team needs fresh leadership. Paul got two shots at a title with a championship caliber roster and failed (arguably not his fault) but he has already had more chances than most coaches ever get. There shouldn't be anything controversial about wanting a coaching change when he is in his 6th season (2nd longest of any current NHL coaches) and still hasn't brought the cup to Winnipeg.
The organization is not going to look at it that way. Maurice got the team to the playoffs his first full season, then went along with the organization's plan to get younger, faster and more skilled and was willing to coach a very young but skilled team. He was willing to take a step back and develop a young core over a 2 season period. Since the start of the 2017-18 season when most agree the Jets hit their contention window Maurice has coached the team to a 118-61-17 record. This is a .645 points % which works out to an average of 106 points per season. This season he has helped keep the team competitive despite the loss of some pretty significant players, especially on defense. During that time he has dealt with the "ruffled feathers" issue and by all accounts has got it back to a very tight room.

It is only pockets on this board that don't acknowledge that Maurice has actually done a really good job and no organization would set him loose at this time unless he decided to take a more lucrative offer. Since he is under contract no one can make that offer. My belief is at some point this season the organization will make an announcement that Maurice and Chevy have been extended. My take is it someone in the Seattle organization leaking thoughts on what type of coach they are looking for is the source of the rumours.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The organization is not going to look at it that way. Maurice got the team to the playoffs his first full season, then went along with the organization's plan to get younger, faster and more skilled and was willing to coach a very young but skilled team. He was willing to take a step back and develop a young core over a 2 season period. Since the start of the 2017-18 season when most agree the Jets hit their contention window Maurice has coached the team to a 118-61-17 record. This is a .645 points % which works out to an average of 106 points per season. This season he has helped keep the team competitive despite the loss of some pretty significant players, especially on defense. During that time he has dealt with the "ruffled feathers" issue and by all accounts has got it back to a very tight room.

It is only pockets on this board that don't acknowledge that Maurice has actually done a really good job and no organization would set him loose at this time unless he decided to take a more lucrative offer. Since he is under contract no one can make that offer. My belief is at some point this season the organization will make an announcement that Maurice and Chevy have been extended. My take is it someone in the Seattle organization leaking thoughts on what type of coach they are looking for is the source of the rumours.

I mean.. I agree with all of that and I actually do think he has been very good for the Jets. I don't think wanting a change automatically means you think he has been bad here. At least not for me... Championship teams in all sports change out their coach all the time (Patriots being an exception) so don't think anything I wrote was controversial and it doesn't mean he was a bad coach. Fresh eyes, fresh communication and fresh ways practicing can make a difference. I don't know about you but I see it as school teachers. If you made a bad first impression it's sometimes really hard to change their mind about you even if you improve greatly after a year or two. Humans tend to get stuck in their ways. Coaches are middle managers so I actually think Chevy is way more important imo. The bolded is funny because most people listen to their boss when they ask for something :laugh:

Either way I think he has done a solid job this season and I hope they move on from him when his contract is up :)

Reactions: rkp

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I mean.. I agree with all of that and I actually do think he has been very good for the Jets. I don't think wanting a change automatically means you think he has been bad here. At least not for me... Championship teams in all sports change out their coach all the time (Patriots being an exception) so don't think anything I wrote was controversial and it doesn't mean he was a bad coach. Fresh eyes, fresh communication and fresh ways practicing can make a difference. I don't know about you but I see it as school teachers. If you made a bad first impression it's sometimes really hard to change their mind about you even if you improve greatly after a year or two. Humans tend to get stuck in their ways. Coaches are middle managers so I actually think Chevy is way more important imo. The bolded is funny because most people listen to their boss when they ask for something :laugh:

Either way I think he has done a solid job this season and I hope they move on from him when his contract is up :)

Yes it can make a difference - it could just as easily get much worse. In fact, if Mo is "very good" for the Jets, you are rolling the dice in hopes that "fresh" will be even better.
I don't buy into the theory that New is Better when it comes to coaching - it's a baseless assumption.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

But being willing to step back comes with a lot of risk for a coach. He may have the support of the GM to take a step back and develop the young prospects, but you are then also the first casualty if the pressure mounts on the organization to make changes. I will agree that Maurice was in a better spot than most coaching for a patient and methodical GM and within an organization that puts a strong emphasis on loyalty.

Throughout sports history most championship teams have had stable and long term leadership at the coaching and GM levels and only swap out when a team underachieves for a period of time. It certainly doesn't happen when the general consensus is that a team has preformed to a level far above expectations.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
But being willing to step back comes with a lot of risk for a coach. He may have the support of the GM to take a step back and develop the young prospects, but you are then also the first casualty if the pressure mounts on the organization to make changes. I will agree that Maurice was in a better spot than most coaching for a patient and methodical GM and within an organization that puts a strong emphasis on loyalty.

Throughout sports history most championship teams have had stable and long term leadership at the coaching and GM levels and only swap out when a team underachieves for a period of time. It certainly doesn't happen when the general consensus is that a team has preformed to a level far above expectations.

first paragraph: yes!

second paragraph: you must no watch a lot of soccer:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad