Coach Discussion: All Purpose Coaching Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have no idea what the Jets room is like and i don't really know Buff but i would think Buff is a joker and not too serious about anything . You could be right that without Buff in the room the young guys could feel free to do or say stuff without being put in their place by a joke from Buff .
I have no idea either, just thought Deedog threw out an interesting idea.

Reactions: Jets 31

Whileee

May 29, 2010
there was and is no way he would have moved copp roslo or mp in the center role in little's injury...did he not sit out roslo a few games last season!!!

revisionist, that is rich....where was it said I chastised pomo for moving wheeler to the center position!!!!
He did move Copp to C when Little was injured. He moved him back to LW to boost Lowry's line. It wasn't long ago, so it's easy to remember.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
This is an interesting comment. Not sure if it has any validity but there is the possibility of the removal of a dominant presence in Buff and a dialed back Wheeler as left a little more breathing space for the young core and they have embraced it.
It's not just the absence of Buff that changes the culture.
Without Little (injury) and Chiarot, Wheeler is the only legacy of the Atlanta days.
With the absence of Trouba, seniority in the Winnipeg Jets dressing room (based on games with the team, not age) goes something like this*:
(*super-quick calculation, so I'm sure I missed out/misclassified somebody)

Wheeler

Scheifele
Ehlers, Copp
Lowry , Perreault
Morrissey, Laine, Helle
Connor

The dynamic is completely changed with, for example, 21 year old Laine suddenly having more dressing-room seniority than all but a half-dozen players. Meanwhile, Scheifele, Copp, Lowry, Ehlers and Morrissey constitute a young leadership group that any teammate would respect, regardless of age.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's not just the absence of Buff that changes the culture.
Without Little (injury) and Chiarot, Wheeler is the only legacy of the Atlanta days.
With the absence of Trouba, seniority in the Winnipeg Jets dressing room (based on games with the team, not age) goes something like this*:
(*super-quick calculation, so I'm sure I missed out/misclassified somebody)

Wheeler

Scheifele
Ehlers, Copp
Lowry , Perreault
Morrissey, Laine, Helle
Connor

The dynamic is completely changed with, for example, 21 year old Laine suddenly having more dressing-room seniority than all but a half-dozen players. Meanwhile, Scheifele, Copp, Lowry, Ehlers and Morrissey constitute a young leadership group that any teammate would respect, regardless of age.

What does Atlanta have anything to do with it at this point? It’s been 8 years and people still can’t let that shit go. :help:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't think it was meant to be specific to Atlanta but rather a way to differentiate between the older core and younger core.

Simply a matter of longevity, my friend. I have no problem whatsoever with legacy players--or fans--from the Atlanta days!;)

Well my apologies then. Interesting that Little is the only Atlanta draft pick left now. Wheeler and Buff were both traded for.

Reactions: scelaton

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Splitting Scheif and Wheels has created two top lines. This 1a, 1b thing is really benefiting the team this year and it is showing game after game. I will never understand why Maurice refused to try this last year when we needed something to change - we had a talented roster that played .500 hockey for the most important 1/2 of the season.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Splitting Scheif and Wheels has created two top lines. This 1a, 1b thing is really benefiting the team this year and it is showing game after game. I will never understand why Maurice refused to try this last year when we needed something to change - we had a talented roster that played .500 hockey for the most important 1/2 of the season.

Not really apropos, but I'm reminded of a law professor from many years ago who was asked if he could explain something again. I can still hear his reply:

"Yes, I can explain it to you; I can't understand it for you."

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Transcript from the 31 thoughts podcast:

Marek: “When will more news come down the pipe about Seattle’s new expansion franchise, team name, affiliates, et cetera?”
Friedman: “I think team name’s going to be some time in the new year. Affiliate’s Palm Springs. They’re going to have Palm Springs. Team coach might not be for another year. I’ll tell you this, I’ve got some guys who think it’s going to be Paul Maurice, eh?
Marek: “Oh, you do, do you?”
Friedman: “Not me, but I’ve got some guys who think it's going to be Paul Maurice.”
Marek: “Without contract at the end of the season… starting speculation now?”
Friedman: “I’m just telling you.”
Marek: “What’s the old Doug MacLean line? I’m not telling you it’s the truth, I’m just telling you what I heard?”
Friedman: “Just throwing some gasoline on the fire.”
Marek: “Oh, that’s good. Late in the podcast. That’s a little flavour puck for those who have stuck with us so far in this podcast.”

So, if PoMo's contract really is done after this year, would Seattle hire him a year early? Maybe PoMo goes back to broadcasting for a season?

Boy oh boy, we better win the Cup this year or we'll be in trouble. This team without Maurice's guidance... inconceivable.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
If the Jets make it past t

Marek: “When will more news come down the pipe about Seattle’s new expansion franchise, team name, affiliates, et cetera?”
Friedman: “I think team name’s going to be some time in the new year. Affiliate’s Palm Springs. They’re going to have Palm Springs. Team coach might not be for another year. I’ll tell you this, I’ve got some guys who think it’s going to be Paul Maurice, eh?
Friedman: “Not me, but I’ve got some guys who think it's going to be Paul Maurice.”
Marek: “What’s the old Doug MacLean line? I’m not telling you it’s the truth, I’m just telling you what I heard?”
Marek: “Oh, that’s good. Late in the podcast. That’s a little flavour puck for those who have stuck with us so far in this podcast.”

So, if PoMo's contract really is done after this year, would Seattle hire him a year early? Maybe PoMo goes back to broadcasting for a season?

Boy oh boy, we better win the Cup this year or we'll be in trouble. This team without Maurice's guidance... inconceivable.

Thank you for the transcription. You're the man, cool guy.

That being said - What are the chances of a Maurice extension? What if we make it past the first round of the playoffs this year? Pretty tough year for all the Maurice haters out there imo, but the playoffs will be telling.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Paul Maurice's contract length is unknown. It was never disclosed so where does the idea that is done come from?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ron Francis is the GM - so there's the Whalers/Canes connection there. Maurice is reportedly in the last year of his deal with the Jets...although that would leave a 1 year employment gap since Seattle doesn't begin play until October 2021.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Poorly phrased I guess. I meant the idea that this was the last year of his contract. The length of his contract was never disclosed.
It's been repeated frequently this fall - first by Friedman, I think? But it's kind of become the conventional wisdom among the NHL's punditry. Maybe it's just speculation.

When the idea that he's in the last year of his deal first came out, I said:

Maurice was hired as interim coach in January of 2014. After the 2013-14 season, he was signed to a 4 year deal (covering 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18). Prior to the beginning of the 2017-18 season, he signed an extension that Chipman described as "medium term".

It doesn't seem reasonable that a coach coming off a 4 year deal would be signed to an extension of only 2 years. It doesn't seem reasonable that such an extension would be described as "medium term". It also doesn't seem reasonable that a team would let a coach enter the last year of his deal without an extension - he'd be a lame duck...it's just not usually done (well the Caps did it with Trotz, but the Jets are Fueled by Loyalty).​

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Poorly phrased I guess. I meant the idea that this was the last year of his contract. The length of his contract was never disclosed.

Nov 4 2019...

Pierre LeBrun ( The Athletic )

"Winnipeg Jets Paul Maurice is in the last year of his deal with no options."

JMO, but I kind of doubt LeBrun is just making this up. Not sure how he found out....

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Maybe both GM and Coach know that as a harmonious relationship exists, there are time limits on them and that maybe Maurice would want to move on..maybe he's felt he's done what he can with said group?

Odd predicament and until resigned, speculation will reign supreme

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

There would still be a lot of work to do as a head coach in the year before the team starts play. I don't think he'd be back in broadcasting except for the occasional appearance, if he does go to Seattle next season.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Maurice would remain in Winnipeg where he has a chance to finally win a cup rather than move to an expansion team which probably would be a long way from being a cup winner.

Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If Seattle wants Maurice, they should have no problem paying him for next season to reserve him. 1 extra year of a coach's salary is nothing for a team considering how often coaches get fired with multiple years on their contracts.

This means Chipman and co will have to pay up to retain Maurice's services. No more bargain prices! I had read that Maurice was one of the lowest paid coaches on his last contract, not sure what he's making now but he almost certainly will be moving up a few pay brackets in his next deal esp if this Jets team keeps performing above expectations in the standings as they have so far.

It's not just Seattle, I can see there being a decent demand for his services in the coach market which is looking quite dry at the moment. Only Maurice and Babcock and perhaps Boudreau if he gets fired are the "big name" coaches that seem available next season. Babcock is unrealistic for most teams because of his salary and recent drama, Boudreau could stay with Wild, leaving Maurice as the only big fish.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think Maurice would remain in Winnipeg where he has a chance to finally win a cup rather than move to an expansion team which probably would be a long way from being a cup winner.

I think Maurice will take the best package in terms of money that is offered to him. TNSE will have to atleast come close to matching the Seattle offer, I can't see him taking that much less just to stay with the Jets. If the Jets are offering him $1.5 million but Seattle is offering him $2.7 million for the same term I can't see him choosing the Jets regardless of the chance for a cup.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
=================================================

For the most part I agree with this but as @JetsFan815 says -- the Jet's will have to pay up, so will they?? Maurice is probably making around $ 1.5 mil per year, but this is just a guess ??

I think he could command in the $ 4 mil to $ 5.5 mil per year, based on the success he's had with the Jets, and being good with young players. That's a lot more than I estimate he's getting now ??

Money "talks" and it buys people --even though I think Maurice would prefer to stay in Winnipeg, and I'd like to see this --if he's offered "big big bucs" by a rich Seattle group -- like $4-$ 5mil per year, or more, --I would think he'd be gone for "greener pastures."

Reactions: JetsFan815
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->