Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't expect Maurice to be fired next season. That probably won't happen until they well and truly waste everybody's primes.

Dont worry Eor, almost everyone will have Maurice on a short leash if the team plays like crap and loses in the first round. Even me. :laugh:

Just not convinced that will actually be the case. We haven't won or lost anything yet.

That's why they play the games.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I could imagine the comments on here if we were in 3rd or 4th place, or missed the playoffs. How fast people forget the bygone days when we were not a contending team. If the Jets have a deep round push ( 3rd round) this thread will disappear.

I kind of doubt it. We made it to the third round last season and the narrative was the same — “Maurice sucks” “we got our coached” “made it to the conference finals in spite of Maurice”.

He’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. I expect that whatever happens this playoffs Maurice will be maligned and his head called for. Even if we win the Cup.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I kind of doubt it. We made it to the third round last season and the narrative was the same — “Maurice sucks” “we got our coached” “made it to the conference finals in spite of Maurice”.

He’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. I expect that whatever happens this playoffs Maurice will be maligned and his head called for. Even if we win the Cup.

Great post --and you so very "right" - you just cannot please all the fans, no matter how successful a coach is. Coaches must know this, and learn to live with it. Maurice has done a pretty decent job IMO, and if we win tonight, everything will be "roses"--but only til the next loss. Then out comes the "lynch mob" again.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I looked at the stats for the forwards in the Colorado game

6 played over 16 minutes
3 played between 11:06 to 12:06 minutes
3 played between 7:15 to 9:46 minutes

This is terrible allocation of minutes on what is a pretty deep team at forward.

Ehlers doesn't crack 12 minutes and Hayes - the second line player we traded an arm and a leg for - barely breaks 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, Wheeler and Schief are overplayed as they mostly have been the entire season. Carolina fans were right about Maurice when they told us his tendencies of overplaying the top line. There is really no excuse for it anymore.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

6 played over 16 minutes

This is terrible allocation of minutes on what is a pretty deep team at forward.

Ehlers doesn't crack 12 minutes and Hayes - the second line player we traded an arm and a leg for - barely breaks 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, Wheeler and Schief are overplayed as they mostly have been the entire season. Carolina fans were right about Maurice when they told us his tendencies of overplaying the top line. There is really no excuse for it anymore.

The ting is stars on other teams get on average the same. Why do we have to play Wheeler less then Tampa plays Kucherov to be successful? Why do we have to play Scheifele less then Dallas plays Seguin to be successful? What does depth really have to do with us playing the best of the best as much as the rest of the best play?

Maybe... just maybe Wheeler is not as good as Kucherov and Scheifele is not as good as Seguin. Maybe the two of them aren't playing for the team but rather for each others stats.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
The ting is stars on other teams get on average the same. Why do we have to play Wheeler less then Tampa plays Kucherov to be successful? Why do we have to play Scheifele less then Dallas plays Seguin to be successful? What does depth really have to do with us playing the best of the best as much as the rest of the best play?

Maybe... just maybe Wheeler is not as good as Kucherov and Scheifele is not as good as Seguin. Maybe the two of them aren't playing for the team but rather for each others stats.
Wheeler and Chef are stat padding and playing to not get hurt. The compromising pics of Maurice from the Christmas party guarantees them all the TOI they want to go on with it.

Reactions: sipowicz

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As little as 5 more NHL games in the coaching career of Maurice left to go!

After this year’s epic second half collapse who would be stupid enough to hire him?
Everyone around the hockey world was in shock even last time. It was as if we had hired Tom Watt or Barry Long

Reactions: sipowicz

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Well you’d be wrong on that one. You can’t be serious.

Ok, I admit it was a bit hyperbolic to say people will still be "calling for Maurice's head" if we win the Cup.

But the rest I was serious on, and I believe the evidence shows that I'm right that people will say "they won it in spite of Maurice". Lots of posters have said this about the Jets' making it to the Conference Finals last year. So I am very confident the same will happen if we make a deep run again this year. And if we don't, that will be all Maurice's fault too.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Ok, I admit it was a bit hyperbolic to say people will still be "calling for Maurice's head" if we win the Cup.

But the rest I was serious on, and I believe the evidence shows that I'm right that people will say "they won it in spite of Maurice". Lots of posters have said this about the Jets' making it to the Conference Finals last year. So I am very confident the same will happen if we make a deep run again this year. And if we don't, that will be all Maurice's fault too.
It definitely will happen eventually. I mean, Q and Sutter won multiple cups and a few years later, both team’s fanbases were ready to drive them both to the airport. But while I am on the record of being extremely unhappy with the quality of Maurice’s coaching, I’d much rather a cup than to be proven right on that matter.

On the other hand, while we’re doing hypotheticals after this disasterous end to the season if the Jets exit in the first round, will those who think Maurice is a great coach admit that he’s probably beyond the point of effectiveness for this team?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

6 played over 16 minutes

Ehlers scored. Surprised Maurice didn't bench him.

:sarcasm:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Bingo. This has been my train of thought for quite some time now.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He is starting to coach like a coach that might lose his job. Losing Brandon Tanev should not have a resulted in the blender that occurred in game 81 with 1st place on the line. Maurice has always been about as little disruption as possible when and injury occurs. He is now coaching against his own beliefs.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
On the other hand, while we’re doing hypotheticals after this disasterous end to the season if the Jets exit in the first round, will those who think Maurice is a great coach admit that he’s probably beyond the point of effectiveness for this team?

Yes, if the Jets completely flame-out in the first round, I will be prepared to admit that his "best before date" is very close if it hasn't already passed. If they lose in 4 or 5 in the first round, and are not doing well by early November I would be in favour of a coaching change. But I also think that coaches get too much blame and such a disaster should not all be on Maurice and some big moves need to be made in the off-season (and I mean big as in moving a previously "untouchable" player).

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes, if the Jets completely flame-out in the first round, I will be prepared to admit that his "best before date" is very close if it hasn't already passed. If they lose in 4 or 5 in the first round, and are not doing well by early November I would be in favour of a coaching change. But I also think that coaches get too much blame and such a disaster should not all be on Maurice and some big moves need to be made in the off-season (and I mean big as in moving a previously "untouchable" player).
Even if the blame should be shared amongst the coach and the players, the adage of “you can’t fire the players” applies here. Firing Maurice is by far the easiest potential solution. I don’t even really see a trade as an option. No one is taking that Wheeler contract right now. Same for Byfuglien. Trouba probably gets traded but that likely doesn’t end with our team being better. At least in the short term. With the contracts they are on, Scheifele and Ehlers should be non-starters.

cdem72

Oct 27, 2017
So Maurice jokes about yelling at Hayes to get off the ice before he scores in OT, but has he said one word when Scheiflel and Wheeler stay on the ice for an entire 2:00 PP? Frustrating as h*ll to see the same-old-same-old first line start every PP, OT, etc. and nothing changes. Other teams have figured out to combat the PP and hem in the Jets, and Maurice fails to change course in the way we play. Commentators keep talking about how young the Jets are and they have to learn, but it's the veterans who hae been MIA. Very disappointing, but fortunate I missed out on season's tickets; I can watch each debacle unfold on my big screen for free in the comfort of my own home. Maybe the Bombers will have better succes this year?

Reactions: Mbraunm

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers scored. Surprised Maurice didn't bench him.

:sarcasm:
Well he sure didn't reward that line with any more ice time. After that goal, Perreault-Hayes-Ehlers got 10 more shifts. 3rd in ice time. Maurice was line matching I guess, even though the Little line was getting destroyed, they got more shifts than the Hayes line.

Look, coaches are lightning rods and there will be criticism and blame heaped on them when things aren't going well (and even when things are going pretty well). But seriously...whatever is the problem with this team, the buck stops with Maurice. Either his game plan is shitty or he can't get the players to execute it. If not one of those, the other option is that the players are shitty and he's doing the best he can with the talent he's got...but I just don't see it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It definitely will happen eventually. I mean, Q and Sutter won multiple cups and a few years later, both team’s fanbases were ready to drive them both to the airport. But while I am on the record of being extremely unhappy with the quality of Maurice’s coaching, I’d much rather a cup than to be proven right on that matter.

Most people that have discussed Maurice at length with you have never stated he was a great coach(not sure anyone has actually said that honestly). Somewhere in the middle? Yes.

Your need to be validated is rather childish and off putting. A first round exit doesn’t even necessarily prove a whole lot anyways. There would be multiple faults to go around, not just coaching. If Ehlers and Laine don’t come up big and we lose do we suddenly say they sick now as well? None of this is black and white. It’s all a grey area.

For the record, I’ll be watching Maurice’s lineups and player usage if things go south for my judgement. If he keeps defaulting to the top guys then he’s getting desperate and i don’t think that’s a good thing for him. Think his days would be numbered at that point. It also is dangerous as you might lose some of the room at that point and then you’re f***ed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't think he's a great coach. I just think he gets way too much blame.

The time might be here that a new voice is needed. I just don't think that this season was squandered solely because of the coach.

That said, it's not squandered yet. If the Jets do play the Blues, there was a team, like the Blues, that no one wanted to play in the first round in 2015. That team was swept.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Well he sure didn't reward that line with any more ice time. After that goal, Perreault-Hayes-Ehlers got 10 more shifts. 3rd in ice time. Maurice was line matching I guess, even though the Little line was getting destroyed, they got more shifts than the Hayes line.

Look, coaches are lightning rods and there will be criticism and blame heaped on them when things aren't going well (and even when things are going pretty well). But seriously...whatever is the problem with this team, the buck stops with Maurice. Either his game plan is ****ty or he can't get the players to execute it. If not one of those, the other option is that the players are ****ty and he's doing the best he can with the talent he's got...but I just don't see it.
The only place Maurice lasted was in a small non-hockey market. He's failed miserably everywhere else. He had one very good season here and one ok season where he killed the team by playing Pavelec in 4 straight losses. why in f***ing hell does a coach like Maurice get any benefit of the doubt? Great or even good coaches don't have career histories like he does and season like this one if they are great coaches. It drives me crazy that a guy like Maurice is given a job never mind some leash in a situation like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad