Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You could be right. There is something to be said of those that can find success wherever they go. Though I think a good GM/Coach tandem is a lot more beneficial to a team. If a GM knows the kind of players a coach needs for his system it makes finding and developing those players easier. Dubas and Keefe are a similar tandem to Yzerman and Cooper. Dubas and Yzerman draft the kinds of players they like and the coach is able to fit those players into their system better rather then trying to fit round holes in square pegs.

I agree with the philosophy but hard to pull off when you are looking 4 years out on the players you draft. Coaches usually only last around 5 years not enough time to fully go through the cycle.

In case of Chevy and Moe to me it appears that they are not fully on the same page. Chevy has gone for a lot of skill whereas Maurice favors size and grit. Maybe that is changing however with recent drafts with guys like Ves, Stanley and Gustovson. All seem very much Maurice types.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don’t know. I’d be speculating on speculation of speculation at that point and it makes my head hurt.
Especially since he has really picked up his D game.
Of all the players, Ehlers might have improved his D game from last season more than any of the others...now if he could only learn to use his line mates better.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Sheldon Keefe:

Coached the Pembroke Lumber Jacks from 2006-2012.
  • At the time he took over the team was struggling
  • He lead them to a 285-95-12 record and a record 5 straight league championships
  • He also lead the team to a 2011 RBC cup championship
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (2012-2015)
  • Took over and transformed a faltering team into a powerhouse with a 98-29-9 record
  • Won coach of the year award in 2014-15 in which he lead the team to their best ever season (lead the OHL in goals as well)
  • Lost to McDavid's Erie Otters in his two playoff appearances (2nd and 3rd round)
  • The team finished near the top in goals scored 2013/14 (5th) and 2014/15 (1st)

Toronto Marlies (2015/16 to present)
  • Has a 187-85-26
  • Made playoffs in each year and won the Calder Cup in 2017-18
  • Have finished right near the top of league in goals scored 2018/19 (2nd), 2017/18 (3rd), 2016/17 (6th), 2015/16 (1st)
So he has been incredibly successful at all levels and has won a number of championships. His teams score and they win. He has shown he can transform struggling organizations as he has at all levels.

He has also successfully overseen the development of a number of the Leafs prospects including Dermot, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen and Johnsson etc. As the prospects above can attest to he knows how to coach skilled and fast players.
Excellent summarization and great info to know! One of my buddies has been singing his praises and based on that summary it explains why!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree with the philosophy but hard to pull off when you are looking 4 years out on the players you draft. Coaches usually only last around 5 years not enough time to fully go through the cycle.

In case of Chevy and Moe to me it appears that they are not fully on the same page. Chevy has gone for a lot of skill whereas Maurice favors size and grit. Maybe that is changing however with recent drafts with guys like Ves, Stanley and Gustovson. All seem very much Maurice types.

I guess it depends on how good you do and what kind of leash you get. Keefe will get a big leash with Dubas, especially if he can win a Cup when he takes over. Dubas is probably just hoping Babcock is out in the 1st round this year so he has the excuse he needs to promote Keefe. Pretty much all Leafs fans speculate that is what is going to happen.

I agree that Chevy and Mo don't seem to be completely in step. Though Chevy have gotten a lot of big boys for Mo. Myers, Hayes, Stanley, Vesalainen, Laine. We are a damn big team. Part of me is pretty sure that we are going to be playing a much different game come playoff time. Last year we upped the physicality by a lot when the playoffs came. This year I'm expecting the same. More guys will be putting their bodies on the line once the playoffs start.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hire a coach who isn't stupid.

Maurice isn’t stupid more like the other S word.
Stubborn.
Having said that the “firing” crowd on this board is premature as the earliest it would happen would be mid next year and that’s only if we are out of a playoff spot in November.
It doesn’t matter what happens in this springs playoffs, his job is ultra safe.
I mean we’re in first place but obviously trending in the wrong direction since January.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maurice isn’t stupid more like the other S word.
Stubborn.
Having said that the “firing” crowd on this board is premature as the earliest it would happen would be mid next year and that’s only if we are out of a playoff spot in November.
It doesn’t matter what happens in this springs playoffs, his job is ultra safe.
I mean we’re in first place but obviously trending in the wrong direction since January.

I don't expect Maurice to be fired next season. That probably won't happen until they well and truly waste everybody's primes.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't Chevy extend Maurice contract in 2017 for two more seasons, which would mean the Jets will be in a position to either renew his contract in the offseason, or fire him. PaMo is the second longest tenured head coach, having been hired January 2014. Only Jon Cooper of the Lightning has served longer under the bench, and there is an excellent chance that the two next longest serving coaches, Laviolette (Preds) and Babcock (leafs) could both be axed in the offseason if they are knocked out in round one, which at this point, looks more likely than not.

There is absolutely no reason for the Jets to be a 0.500 team in 2019. If they are knocked out in round one, they should move fast to replace Maurice. Whether it be Queeneville, Hawerchuk, or (my personal favorite) Pascal Vincent. Despite the crunch Chevy is going to be in to resign some talent (Laine, Connor, Tanev, Morrissey), or make the right deals for Jets who will likely be gone (Trouba, Myers, etc), the Jets still have a very promising team.

Next season, the Jets will likely have Vesalainen, Appleton, Poolman, and (possibly) Samberg or Stanley to replace departed stars. It's been a frustrating last three months to be a Jets fan, and I honestly believe the Maurice era is over.

Reactions: Mbraunm

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't Chevy extend Maurice contract in 2017 for two more seasons, which would mean the Jets will be in a position to either renew his contract in the offseason, or fire him. PaMo is the second longest tenured head coach, having been hired January 2014. Only Jon Cooper of the Lightning has served longer under the bench, and there is an excellent chance that the two next longest serving coaches, Laviolette (Preds) and Babcock (leafs) could both be axed in the offseason if they are knocked out in round one, which at this point, looks more likely than not.

There is absolutely no reason for the Jets to be a 0.500 team in 2019. If they are knocked out in round one, they should move fast to replace Maurice. Whether it be Queeneville, Hawerchuk, or (my personal favorite) Pascal Vincent. Despite the crunch Chevy is going to be in to resign some talent (Laine, Connor, Tanev, Morrissey), or make the right deals for Jets who will likely be gone (Trouba, Myers, etc), the Jets still have a very promising team.

Next season, the Jets will likely have Vesalainen, Appleton, Poolman, and (possibly) Samberg or Stanley to replace departed stars. It's been a frustrating last three months to be a Jets fan, and I honestly believe the Maurice era is over.

I believe it would be a much bigger story if he was out of contract in the summer. I don't actually think it was ever reported how long it was, just a multi-year extension.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't Chevy extend Maurice contract in 2017 for two more seasons, which would mean the Jets will be in a position to either renew his contract in the offseason, or fire him.

TNSE has never publicly stated how long Maurice is under contract nor how much they are paying him, just that he was extended. IIRC they have never stated how long Chevy is under contract either.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
TNSE has never publicly stated how long Maurice is under contract nor how much they are paying him, just that he was extended. IIRC they have never stated how long Chevy is under contract either.
I recall both being announced as "multi-year" extensions.

We probably should move on from Maurice. He lacks some quite fundamental competences a coach needs, such as utilising all of his lines and using his best, most skilled players. Can't waste talent like that.

Moreover, it looks an awful lot like he no longer has control over the locker room.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Maybe we can get Rip Torn to play the part of Patches O'Houlihan?

images

He'll get this team motivated!

(My apologies if my attempt at humour ruined the discussion)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I recall both being announced as "multi-year" extensions.

We probably should move on from Maurice. He lacks some quite fundamental competences a coach needs, such as utilising all of his lines and using his best, most skilled players. Can't waste talent like that.

Moreover, it looks an awful lot like he no longer has control over the locker room.

We won’t move on from Maurice anytime soon.
It’s hard to pinpoint where our identity went this season.
The easy thing is to blame coaches and while we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes ultimately a coach will pay the price.
TNSE has shown they won’t move quickly on major decisions without trying to work through things first
I think this off season we will get a good idea on what the long term thinking is based on how contracts are done, who is moved in or out etc.
If Cheveldayoff and Chapman structure this off season in a way that they feel the team will continue growing and the opposite happens then coaches will be on their radars.
Even then Maurice gets a lot of grace.
It’s been an odd year in the sense we have a playoff team that has only played well in spurts.
I’d sure like to have insider information on the dressing room because I’m thinking it’s not necessarily unified.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We won’t move on from Maurice anytime soon.
It’s hard to pinpoint where our identity went this season.
The easy thing is to blame coaches and while we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes ultimately a coach will pay the price.
TNSE has shown they won’t move quickly on major decisions without trying to work through things first
I think this off season we will get a good idea on what the long term thinking is based on how contracts are done, who is moved in or out etc.
If Cheveldayoff and Chapman structure this off season in a way that they feel the team will continue growing and the opposite happens then coaches will be on their radars.
Even then Maurice gets a lot of grace.
It’s been an odd year in the sense we have a playoff team that has only played well in spurts.
I’d sure like to have insider information on the dressing room because I’m thinking it’s not necessarily unified.
I don't disagree with much that is there, yet I think that is a problem in itself. If your coach isn't ready for the task now, why does he get this much leash?

It is Maurice's responsibility to have this team under control. He can't skate for the players, but it is his damn job to make sure they do. He has failed this year, which is something he didn't do last year.

Can we afford that? I don't think we can. You could go on about leadership in the room, accountability etc., but in the end, Maurice is responsible for what happens on the ice. If someone isn't interested in playing, Maurice has the power to make them sit out.

Again, I don't solely put all the blame on Maurice. But when the majority of the team regresses in such a catastrophic fashion, you can't look past the impact of the coach.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I agree with this. Chevy has drafted some of the most offensively gifted players available, and Maurice loves dump and chase, and cycling. Our offense off the rush should be top in the league.

Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Roslovic etc all offensively gifted. All have been turned into cyclers and 'dump into the corner' players. I don't know what we've turned Laine into, but he is certainly not the player he was when he got here.

Add Helle into the equation, and he is much better after being coached externally.

I have no inside information or proof, it just looks like a pattern.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Taking into account the number of games he has coached and the defensive structures and systems he uses, the lack of success in winning the cup, can one say he is an intelligent coach or learns easy?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I could imagine the comments on here if we were in 3rd or 4th place, or missed the playoffs. How fast people forget the bygone days when we were not a contending team. If the Jets have a deep round push ( 3rd round) this thread will disappear.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I could imagine the comments on here if we were in 3rd or 4th place, or missed the playoffs. How fast people forget the bygone days when we were not a contending team. If the Jets have a deep round push ( 3rd round) this thread will disappear.

I’d imagine it’d be far emptier in here. :naughty:

Reactions: GNP

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
For those who can't access the Free Press online version: from today and bang on!

By: Mike McIntyre

"Which brings me to coach Paul Maurice. He seemingly is pushing all the wrong buttons with his club right now, including the decision to sit Connor Hellebuyck in St. Paul with backup Laurent Brossoit still injured. Eric Comrie struggled mightily, and you could see his team sag after he left in a terrible third goal late in the first period.
That game might ultimately end up costing the Jets first place in the Central, maybe even home-ice advantage in the playoffs. The minimal line juggling he's done hasn't worked, and you wonder if it isn't time to get Wheeler and Scheifele away from each other in an attempt to light a fire under everyone.
Of course, at this point in the season it's pretty tough to overhaul the systems that have been put in place – ones that include giving up a boatload of shots nearly every single game. Right now, there's not a whole lot that can be done about that."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad