Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Last thread was well over a thousand posts, so here's another one.

Refrain from commenting on other posters, please. This topic will cause heated debates, but it isn't the other person's fault who you're discussing with that the Jets are what they are. Be respectful towards one another.

And... Go!

Reactions: FFHockey

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Firing our poor coach has nothing to do with Scheifele or Wheeler being responsible for performing poorly. The argument makes zero sense and gets you nothing.

It doesn't matter if Scheifele or Wheeler or Laine are 100% to blame for their performance, it's the coaches job to fix it. PoMo has done nothing to effect positive change. That's not how elite perform. Moving Little to his wrong wing and dropping Ehlers to the 3rd line is what Maurice does when desperate. Seriously?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Firing our poor coach has nothing to do with Scheifele or Wheeler being responsible for performing poorly. The argument makes zero sense and gets you nothing.

It doesn't matter if Scheifele or Wheeler or Laine are 100% to blame for their performance, it's the coaches job to fix it. PoMo has done nothing to effect positive change. That's not how elite perform. Moving Little to his wrong wing and dropping Ehlers to the 3rd line is what Maurice does when desperate. Seriously?

It all depends on what the issue is. Which none of us still really know what it is. I've heard a tonne of speculation but none of it is concrete enough to share. If it's a playing time issue then what does Mo do spite one hand to please the other? That's a tricky situation. I mean Scheifele's playing time isn't much different this year then that of other super star forwards. He's at the top of the league but he's in the same company of guys like Kane, Crosby, Seguin, Panarin, etc. Wheeler is something like 30th in terms of ice time among forwards. He plays less than Kucherov does.

The only issue I have is separating Scheif and Wheeler and why isn't it something he is willing to do? There is definitely something going on behind the scenes about that and it may even be a reason why other players are upset. So on one hand you separate them and piss off your captain and his buddy. On the other hand you leave them together and piss off other guys. Not something that is easily remedied.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
It all depends on what the issue is. Which none of us still really know what it is. I've heard a tonne of speculation but none of it is concrete enough to share. If it's a playing time issue then what does Mo do spite one hand to please the other? That's a tricky situation. I mean Scheifele's playing time isn't much different this year then that of other super star forwards. He's at the top of the league but he's in the same company of guys like Kane, Crosby, Seguin, Panarin, etc. Wheeler is something like 30th in terms of ice time among forwards. He plays less than Kucherov does.

The only issue I have is separating Scheif and Wheeler and why isn't it something he is willing to do? There is definitely something going on behind the scenes about that and it may even be a reason why other players are upset. So on one hand you separate them and piss off your captain and his buddy. On the other hand you leave them together and piss off other guys. Not something that is easily remedied.

If separating the 2 of them in an effort to make the team better and win pisses them off, then I would separate them with a trade of Wheeler in the offseason. Because that wreaks of selfishness, and immaturity, sensitivity and every other word being used to assumably describe the young guys. It definitely isn’t captains material. You’ve got your homerun contract. Ice time, points, ego are all trumped by leading and winning at this point.
To me, Maurice’s job entails making this known and if he feels he can’t, then he has run out of shelf life.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If separating the 2 of them in an effort to make the team better and win pisses them off, then I would separate them with a trade of Wheeler in the offseason. Because that wreaks of selfishness, and immaturity, sensitivity and every other word being used to assumably describe the young guys. It definitely isn’t captains material. You’ve got your homerun contract. Ice time, points, ego are all trumped by leading and winning at this point.
To me, Maurice’s job entails making this known and if he feels he can’t, then he has run out of shelf life.

What makes us think a new coach will be any different?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Agreed

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017

When I saw ehlers on the third line I almost shat myself laughing. Connor at least makes sense there since he's a cycle player also but ehlers?? He shld be on first or 2nd line period

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
When I saw ehlers on the third line I almost shat myself laughing. Connor at least makes sense there since he's a cycle player also but ehlers?? He shld be on first or 2nd line period

How is Laine, Ehlers, Little or any player going to perform well, when Maurice is continually shuffling the lines ?? they cannot. They should know who their playing with, and their habits, to develop playing chemistry.

Ehlers on the 3rd checking line, is a complete joke --he's a play driver, and needs to be partnered with skill players.

I think this continual line shuffling is Maurice's biggest downfall right now, and it has to STOP.

Reactions: Mbraunm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sheldon Keefe:

Coached the Pembroke Lumber Jacks from 2006-2012.
  • At the time he took over the team was struggling
  • He lead them to a 285-95-12 record and a record 5 straight league championships
  • He also lead the team to a 2011 RBC cup championship
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (2012-2015)
  • Took over and transformed a faltering team into a powerhouse with a 98-29-9 record
  • Won coach of the year award in 2014-15 in which he lead the team to their best ever season (lead the OHL in goals as well)
  • Lost to McDavid's Erie Otters in his two playoff appearances (2nd and 3rd round)
  • The team finished near the top in goals scored 2013/14 (5th) and 2014/15 (1st)

Toronto Marlies (2015/16 to present)
  • Has a 187-85-26
  • Made playoffs in each year and won the Calder Cup in 2017-18
  • Have finished right near the top of league in goals scored 2018/19 (2nd), 2017/18 (3rd), 2016/17 (6th), 2015/16 (1st)
So he has been incredibly successful at all levels and has won a number of championships. His teams score and they win. He has shown he can transform struggling organizations as he has at all levels.

He has also successfully overseen the development of a number of the Leafs prospects including Dermot, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen and Johnsson etc. As the prospects above can attest to he knows how to coach skilled and fast players.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sheldon Keefe:

• He lead them to a 285-95-12 record and a record 5 straight league championships
  • Took over and transformed a faltering team into a powerhouse with a 98-29-9 record
  • Won coach of the year award in 2014-15 in which he lead the team to their best ever season (lead the OHL in goals as well)
  • Lost to McDavid's Erie Otters in his two playoff appearances (2nd and 3rd round)
  • The team finished near the top in goals scored 2013/14 (5th) and 2014/15 (1st)

• Has a 187-85-26
  • Have finished right near the top of league in goals scored 2018/19 (2nd), 2017/18 (3rd), 2016/17 (6th), 2015/16 (1st)
So he has been incredibly successful at all levels and has won a number of championships. His teams score and they win. He has shown he can transform struggling organizations as he has at all levels.

He has also successfully overseen the development of a number of the Leafs prospects including Dermot, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen and Johnsson etc. As the prospects above can attest to he knows how to coach skilled and fast players.
Sign 'em up!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Sheldon Keefe:

• Has a 187-85-26

I believe earlier this season he was linked with a head coaching job and either turned down an interview or the Leafs denied permission to speak to him. They're very protective of him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I believe earlier this season he was linked with a head coaching job and either turned down an interview or the Leafs denied permission to speak to him. They're very protective of him.

I don't think they can block him after the season ends though.

As for him, I would think ournroater would be very attractive to him. Lots of skill and talent to work with.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think they can block him after the season ends though.

As for him, I would think ournroater would be very attractive to him. Lots of skill and talent to work with.

I think he would probably prefer to take a roster like Montreal's, but he's coached zero NHL games so he might not be the coach to throw into a team whose already in the window

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sheldon Keefe:

• Has a 187-85-26

From what I've heard the Leafs job is as good as his if Babcock can't get out of the 1st round this year. He's Dubas right hand man and has been with Dubas since his time with SSM. I don't mean to throw a wrench in your plan but given his connections are pretty much entirely with the Leafs and he is next in line to take over a team where he has a massive ally high up in the organization (Dubas) I can't see him throwing that away for the Jets where he doesn't have that ally in Chevy. To add to that the leafs have drafted players he's developed in Sandin and Hollowell. And he will likely have a lot more freedom and a much longer leash from Dubas than he will from Chevy. Dubas will likely trust him to make any significant changes he wants there. He's also from Ontario and apparently grew up a Leafs fan. Seems like he's in line for a job he likely really wants and I have serious doubts he throws that away for a shot at the Jets, or really any other team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maukkis

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From what I've heard the Leafs job is as good as his if Babcock can't get out of the 1st round this year. He's Dubas right hand man and has been with Dubas since his time with SSM. I don't mean to throw a wrench in your plan but given his connections are pretty much entirely with the Leafs and he is next in line to take over a team where he has a massive ally high up in the organization (Dubas) I can't see him throwing that away for the Jets where he doesn't have that ally in Chevy. To add to that the leafs have drafted players he's developed in Sandin and Hollowell. And he will likely have a lot more freedom and a much longer leash from Dubas than he will from Chevy. Dubas will likely trust him to make any significant changes he wants there. He's also from Ontario and apparently grew up a Leafs fan. Seems like he's in line for a job he likely really wants and I have serious doubts he throws that away for a shot at the Jets, or really any other team.

You very well could be correct, he may not elect to come here I'd offered the job. He is still at the top of my wish list even though I find it unlikely that Chevy goes in a different direction this summer anyhow barring damming exit interviews from the players.

I just think Keefe is a darn good modern coach in veins of a Cooper.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017

How is Laine, Ehlers, Little or any player going to perform well, when Maurice is continually shuffling the lines ?? they cannot. They should know who their playing with, and their habits, to develop playing chemistry.

Ehlers on the 3rd checking line, is a complete joke --he's a play driver, and needs to be partnered with skill players.

I think this continual line shuffling is Maurice's biggest downfall right now, and it has to STOP.
Agreed man

Reactions: GNP

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You very well could be correct, he may not elect to come here I'd offered the job. He is still at the top of my wish list even though I find it unlikely that Chevy goes in a different direction this summer anyhow barring damming exit interviews from the players.

I just think Keefe is a darn good modern coach in veins of a Cooper.

You could be right. There is something to be said of those that can find success wherever they go. Though I think a good GM/Coach tandem is a lot more beneficial to a team. If a GM knows the kind of players a coach needs for his system it makes finding and developing those players easier. Dubas and Keefe are a similar tandem to Yzerman and Cooper. Dubas and Yzerman draft the kinds of players they like and the coach is able to fit those players into their system better rather then trying to fit round holes in square pegs.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad