All-Purpose Attendance Thread: Poll added

The White and Chabot contract extensions will

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Quite a few empty seats in Montreal tonight.
Noticed the same thing. As a matter of fact, I’ve been noticing the same thing in many supposedly strong markets... the cost of watching NHL hockey live has gotten out of hand for the majority of the population. The Sens franchise wasn’t as stable so they felt the effects earliest but all pro-sports will suffer attendance woes over the next few years until some kind of adjustment is made by these leagues.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Cosmetics. He owns quite a few properties in Barbados.
First I have ever heard of Melnyk being involved in the cosmetic industry. We all know his recent success in the pharmaceutical industry and that Bert's Bar employees in Barbados were unhappy about severance after the restaurant went belly up. I struggle to believe that he owns anything more profitable than the Ottawa Senators and the arena.

**edit, you are right. Fusion Brands - Beauty, I guess you learn something new everyday**

Majority Shareholder Buys Fusion Brands Inc.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
First I have ever heard of Melnyk being involved in the cosmetic industry. We all know his recent success in the pharmaceutical industry and that Bert's Bar employees in Barbados were never paid after the restaurant went belly up. I struggle to believe that he owns anything more profitable than the Ottawa Senators and the arena.

[mod]

Never paid the employees? LOL

Read the articles again.

The six employees wanted more severance pay. The restaurant only gave one week’s pay.

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is something I don’t get. Why do some people think the Sens are Melnyk’s primary source of income. It baffles me why sane people would think this.

Maybe not income, since the team isn't liquid. But you better believe the Senators are the biggest (remaining) chunk of EM's net worth.

His overall point remains though, imo. EM seems to be one of the (very) few owners who is the running the team with the end goal of year over year 'profits' instead of playing the "long game" (like Vinnik or Viola for example). Understandable from his perspective if he's taking losses elsewhere, but still frustrating from a fan perspective.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dude, honestly, this really isn't something you need to get angry over. People make up sale rumours almost on a daily business in here, plus all of the EK crap. I think those people may be the kings of making **** up, I probably fall somewhere under them.

The point remains, the business closed and employees were unhappy over money. Same ballpark.

My main point was this:
I struggle to believe that he owns anything more profitable than the Ottawa Senators and the arena

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Variable26

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Dude, honestly, this really isn't something you need to get angry over. People make up sale rumours almost on a daily business in here, plus all of the EK crap. I think those people may be the kings of making **** up, I probably fall somewhere under them.

The point remains, the business closed and employees were unhappy over money. Same ballpark.

My main point was this:

True. My bad.

There is the hope of a sale or partnership one day.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
First I have ever heard of Melnyk being involved in the cosmetic industry. We all know his recent success in the pharmaceutical industry and that Bert's Bar employees in Barbados were unhappy about severance after the restaurant went belly up. I struggle to believe that he owns anything more profitable than the Ottawa Senators and the arena.

**edit, you are right. Fusion Brands - Beauty, I guess you learn something new everyday**

Majority Shareholder Buys Fusion Brands Inc.

They are called clean beauty collection inc now, and was tied up in some legal issues involving a business Jet and flightpath putting a lien on it to try and recover unpaid bills by the company. Not sure that's been resolved yet.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Please not a partnership. We saw how well Melnyk plays with others.

If it ended up that way, I could see Non-voting, 25%

I would wish for stays silent... only comes to games but no more keys/free access to the building.

Yeah, exactly this. Melnyk doesn't play nice with others, but if he wants to keep a piece of the pie while handing over "control" to someone (or something) else I'd be absolutely fine with that. The talk of bringing in a "partner" though gives the impression EM would keep control, which wouldn't really help the situation, imo.

I'm also not sure what the incentive would be for said partner buying into a "damaged" product with Melnyk still at the head. As part of a long-term plan to take on a higher percentage of the team maybe but that's a means to end more than a "partnership", imo.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, exactly this. Melnyk doesn't play nice with others, but if he wants to keep a piece of the pie while handing over "control" to someone (or something) else I'd be absolutely fine with that. The talk of bringing in a "partner" though gives the impression EM would keep control, which wouldn't really help the situation, imo.

I'm also not sure what the incentive would be for said partner buying into a "damaged" product with Melnyk still at the head. As part of a long-term plan to take on a higher percentage of the team maybe but that's a means to end more than a "partnership", imo.
I don't think the product is damaged. He is part of 32 owners in a very exclusive sports industry. His damaged product, warts and all, is still appreciating. On the face of it, many would think it is damaged. But all he has done is consolidate his financing , very likely to his financial advantage, recieved more equalization money while cutting costs. It has been setup in a perfect spot for a transfer of ownership.

Melnyk will most likely look at making a clear break. There is a reason why he is stalling the two lawsuits for money owed, just like things have been eerily quiet on the ownership front. People don't like to know what I hear in my business circle, but I am encouraged that the franchise is headed in the right direction with a change happening

Reactions: JonnyMacSen

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think the product is damaged. He is part of 32 owners in a very exclusive sports industry. His damaged product, warts and all, is still appreciating. On the face of it, many would think it is damaged. But all he has done is consolidate his financing , very likely to his financial advantage, recieved more equalization money while cutting costs. It has been setup in a perfect spot for a transfer of ownership.

Melnyk will most likely look at making a clear break. There is a reason why he is stalling the two lawsuits for money owed, just like things have been eerily quiet on the ownership front. People don't like to know what I hear in my business circle, but I am encouraged that the franchise is headed in the right direction with a change happening

I meant damaged as far as buying into a Melnyk owned and operated team. Melnyk himself is the "damage" I was referring to, not the team in this case. Probably wasn't the right word to use, but hopefully this clears that up.

And personally, I never doubted the "clean break" angle. Everything we've heard over the last couple of years has been trending towards EM going that route. I never really bought into the "partner" angle for the reason stated above.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I meant damaged as far as buying into a Melnyk owned and operated team. Melnyk himself is the "damage" I was referring to, not the team in this case. Probably wasn't the right word to use, but hopefully this clears that up.

And personally, I never doubted the "clean break" angle. Everything we've heard over the last couple of years has been trending towards EM going that route. I never really bought into the "partner" angle for the reason stated above.

Not that anyone noticed, but the Desmarais brothers stepped down yesterday from Power Corp.

That is hugely suspicious...and no one wants to hear it but something is up

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Well definitionally something big is up when two billionaires retire from their company.

But connect the dots for me
Em has a demand loan with Power corp. Desmarais own it. Looks like EM is having problems paying many people his debts, maybe the Power Corp group decides its time to take control with an Ottawa family I mentioned here before and got suspended for it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Well definitionally something big is up when two billionaires retire from their company.

But connect the dots for me

From and article in June (Ottawa Citizen)

André Desmarais

André Desmarais has long been attached to the question of Senators ownership.
He, like Laliberté, is one of Canada’s super-rich: His family, headed by patriarch Paul Desmarais Sr., is worth $8.38 billion, according to Canadian Business, making them the seventh wealthiest family in Canada.

André Desmarais, the president and co-CEO of the Power Corp. — a large, trillion-dollar conglomerate based out of Montreal and owned by the Desmarais family — has more recently been in the news regarding the company’s decision to jettison La Presse to a non-profit organization. The company had owned the paper since 1967.

He, too, has been mentioned in the context of owning the NHL team. Along with Laliberté, he was involved in the Devcore Canderel bid for LeBreton Flats, and his name was attached to reports that the group was interested in buying the team. (In 2012, he was also rumoured to have been approached by the league about owning a team in Quebec City; Desmarais denied having any interest in owning a team at that time.)

He’s also no stranger to the hockey world: In 2011, he purchased 25 per cent of the Quebec Remparts, who play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. (The purchase was made personally, not as part of the Power Corp.)

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

I would use the term "diseased" rather than damaged, in the case of what you were trying to convey. But, to be fair, I've become rather vindictive and spiteful towards Melnyk, so perhaps I would be taking things too far with such a term.

But as for the sale of the team or not, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if EM sells. He's not really trying to win, so I'd be inclined to bet that for a big enough check he'd happily cash out. Probably more a question of "how much is enough", which could be a problem.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Em has a demand loan with Power corp. Desmarais own it. Looks like EM is having problems paying many people his debts, maybe the Power Corp group decides its time to take control with an Ottawa family I mentioned here before and got suspended for it.

interesting to know this...

fingers crossed!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
EM will never make money owning this team now and he knows it,time for him to cash in his chip and move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad