All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Sorry he hasn't looked like a superstar. He's skating and hustling like a lunch bucket forward and has top 10% hands. Seems good to me. Way better than I expected, I thought he was going to float and wait for the puck to come to him.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
there's absolutely zero doubt he's been great for the Leafs, and exactly what the Tavares/Nylander line needs. It's just a question of if he'll just look good for a few games to impress his new team, or if he can keep it up for longer

Per Maple Leafs' Galchenyuk shining in audition on Tavares-Nylander line

"That line — Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander — has now generated 82 per cent of expected goals and 90 per cent of high-danger chances in the 30 minutes it’s been on the ice together."

Unsustainable, but very impressive numbers. I see no reason why Keefe shouldn't see if this trio can shine.

Edit: Stealing this from @Faltorvo in the Nylander thread.

Digging deeper in to the even strength numbers, it gets even better for both of them as a pairing.

Nylander/Tavares as a 2nd line pairing have been on the ice for only 5 goals in over 300 minutes of even strength play.

Even strength stats:

Corsi: 296-233 (55.95%)
Shots: 159-126(55.79%)
Scoring Chances: 169-118 (58.89%)
High Danger Chances: 76-39 (66.09%)
Goal Differential: 14-5 (73.68%)

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have stumbled onto something quite good and exciting.​

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
A couple of years ago Tavares his his career best in goals when Marner was setting him up. Galchenyuk has a puck fighting mentality and enough vision on the ice to potentially be a key playmaker as has been seen through his first four games, while also being a threat to score. The line of Galchenyuk, Tavares, Nylander could be an excellent fit.

As long as Galchenyuk continues to work hard on the forecheck, he can be a major presence on the ice. Imagine winning a Cup in Toronto, while knocking out the Habs along the way? You couldn't write such a script.

Reactions: Bellzy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A couple of years ago Tavares his his career best in goals when Marner was setting him up. Galchenyuk has a puck fighting mentality and enough vision on the ice to potentially be a key playmaker as has been seen through his first four games, while also being a threat to score. The line of Galchenyuk, Tavares, Nylander could be an excellent fit.

As long as Galchenyuk continues to work hard on the forecheck, he can be a major presence on the ice. Imagine winning a Cup in Toronto, while knocking out the Habs along the way? You couldn't write such a script.

If you need Galchenyuk in that Auston Matthews role like the Habs wanted, you're going to be in trouble. If he's our Alex Killorn with a little bit of that Joffrey Lupul style career resurgence, we're in good shape.

Reactions: 4thline

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Your second paragraph sums it up. If he has the desire to play the right way he will book his spot on our top 6. It’s a fantastic landing spot for him. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
this gally showing his skillset he has but the problem is the consistency not to mention habs ruined him...so I'm not falling for it lmao

He's by no means a shoo in 1st line player, but his fall in Montreal had a lot to do with Bergevin being stubborn trying to squeeze 1C's out of 2nd line wings (him and Drouin)

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Rondo Hatton

Dec 20, 2013
Cautious optimism is the most I will have for this Galchenyuk. Would be fantastic if he could continue to make meaningful contributions whether it be on the second line or lower down in the lineup. We really need the fortification right now and it will be necessary come playoff time. Marner/Matthews will be snapping out of their drought momentarily and if JT/WN/AG can provide the kind of support that we saw last night - it will cause everyone fits. But the sample size is very small, just like Campbell's role as starter.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
How you guys like him so far? Funny I read how the Habs ruined him but he was a 25-30 goals scorer in MTL. He wasn't bad first Phoenix year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How you guys like him so far? Funny I read how the Habs ruined him but he was a 25-30 goals scorer in MTL. He wasn't bad first Phoenix year.
he is playing well so far and seems to be improving , I put him at a 3rd line guy right now ... whats up with the username, if you dont mind me asking?

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
He's by no means a shoo in 1st line player, but his fall in Montreal had a lot to do with Bergevin being stubborn trying to squeeze 1C's out of 2nd line wings (him and Drouin)
I really think the media really caused a problem there, it was like hey he was drafted at center and now he's on the wing and he was top five pick so he must be a 1st line center. Soon as he dropped at center media was basically calling him a bust. Let's face it if you go in top five of any draft the media thinks you're supposed to be first line material and some drafts the 2017 one comes to mind it just isn't the case. Looking at Gally I'm like he not a superstar but he's not that bad either so it's pretty weird that he's all of a sudden on discard pile.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He's played well so far, the only real expectations we have for someone on that Tavares line is to be relentless on the forecheck and apply constant pressure. He's doing that and has some talent on top of it. The question is can he keep it up? If he can that LW spot on the second line is his to lose

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's played well so far, the only real expectations we have for someone on that Tavares line is to be relentless on the forecheck and apply constant pressure. He's doing that and has some talent on top of it. The question is can he keep it up? If he can that LW spot on the second line is his to lose

I'd still trade for Hall even though Galchenyuk has been great in every game he's played. We clearly have 5 really good players in the top six (11,16, 34, 88, 91) and then it's a bunch of rotating depth.

If we can get Hall, you can put him with Matthews and Marner, leaving Galchenyuk with Tavares and Nylander and letting Hyman be on his own line.

Defense is set, I really don't see a reason to mess with it at all except to give Liljegren some ice time if we can afford to give him some games towards the end (provided we are ahead and maintain the division lead).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

OHHHH that would be GLORIOUS!!!!

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Some of these guys are so young, and discarded. Imagine if Gally, just sorta got it here?

Hustle in hockey is paramount. Maybe he is running out of money, I dunno, but he seems to be sensing he better change his drum beat.

Jury is out, I still see a lazy guy, with no big dreams other than a case of labatts. But hey, I want to be very wrong.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I really think the media really caused a problem there, it was like hey he was drafted at center and now he's on the wing and he was top five pick so he must be a 1st line center. Soon as he dropped at center media was basically calling him a bust. Let's face it if you go in top five of any draft the media thinks you're supposed to be first line material and some drafts the 2017 one comes to mind it just isn't the case. Looking at Gally I'm like he not a superstar but he's not that bad either so it's pretty weird that he's all of a sudden on discard pile.
Ya know,,perception is a funny thing,,,,folks here slobber for F forsberg

interesting note AG is #2 career points from that draft,,,only behind FF

He truly stands a chance of being the best F from that draft

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Kunta Kinte, its from a movie. Roots. And a Novel.
Off topic I know but I always wanted my kids to watch that series and I’ve never been able to find it. I remember it being an eye opener for me as a kid.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
OHHH ,,,that salt from the scabs fans in the main board/ trade thread is getting deep

this has GOT to be killing a few of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad