All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Galchenyuk was showing some good drive and sometimes had good speed. His skills looked a little more raw at times than you'd think though for his general talent level and was definitely prone to brain cramps which we saw play out at the worst time.

My patience with Dubas is running thin, but if he brings Galchenyuk back I'll be pretty fired up angry. He will be seen as the Bill Buckner of The Storied Toronto Maple Leafs. He made an ungodly error in a professional hockey league. It was the equivalent of running past 1st base and turning right (safely to first base). The most fundamental rule was forgotten by Galchenyuk in order to force offensive play in OT (leading to a 2 on 0 the other way). Dubas cannot have him back to see if he may not do that again.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Bunting and Kase coming in on value contracts probably pushed Galchenyuk out, but it's at the point where I'd circle back again after going unsigned this long.

Reactions: banks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My patience with Dubas is running thin, but if he brings Galchenyuk back I'll be pretty fired up angry. He will be seen as the Bill Buckner of The Storied Toronto Maple Leafs. He made an ungodly error in a professional hockey league. It was the equivalent of running past 1st base and turning right (safely to first base). The most fundamental rule was forgotten by Galchenyuk in order to force offensive play in OT (leading to a 2 on 0 the other way). Dubas cannot have him back to see if he may not do that again.

I know what you mean, you kind of just want to be done with the Galchenyuk project because he was such a catastrophic failure in a key moment. I suspect that's why teams like Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Arizona, Ottawa (not to mention Carolina whom he didn't even report to) were okay with moving on from him so quickly.

That said, he does have a higher end level of skill relative to what his salary demand might be, so it's a bit of a deal with the devil.

Reactions: nuck and ottomaddox

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
With Ritchie, Bunting and Kase signed, there’s really no spot left for Galchenyuk. He should have jumped on the opportunity to sign a 1 year extension when the door was open for him to return, especially knowing he had a good opportunity to play with Tavares and Nylander to boost his value for a better contract the following year elsewhere. Now he’ll probably sign with a bottom feeder and go back to bouncing around the league.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL’s Top 10 UFAs remaining: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

10. Alex Galchenyuk

Position: Centre / Wing
2020-21 salary cap hit: $1.05 million

Feeling as if his NHL career was on the line, the determined winger certainly showed flashes in Toronto alongside John Tavares and William Nylander.

He’s exploring his options. Toronto has yet to close the door (at least publicly) on a return, and even the team that drafted Galchenyuk (Montreal) is said to have some level of interest in a reunion.

His last contract was one year at $1.05 million. Would he take that again?

Reactions: banks

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
NHL’s Top 10 UFAs remaining: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

10. Alex Galchenyuk

Position: Centre / Wing
2020-21 salary cap hit: $1.05 million

Feeling as if his NHL career was on the line, the determined winger certainly showed flashes in Toronto alongside John Tavares and William Nylander.

He’s exploring his options. Toronto has yet to close the door (at least publicly) on a return, and even the team that drafted Galchenyuk (Montreal) is said to have some level of interest in a reunion.

His last contract was one year at $1.05 million. Would he take that again?

May God have mercy on our (Leaf Fans) souls.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
sign him ... trade him before the seasons starts to gain a free draft picks to a team that lost a forward to injury :) lol

he is shit....... there are probably better ways to spend that million dollars

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
With Kase, Bunting, Ritchie being brought in, and Robertson right on the doorstep, there really isn't a roster spot for Galchenyuk.

If Dubas can move Engvall or Mikheyev, then maybe that opens a spot for Galchenyuk. But I just don't see a place for him today on the top 3 lines.

Reactions: Nylander88

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
With Kase, Bunting, Ritchie being brought in, and Robertson right on the doorstep, there really isn't a roster spot for Galchenyuk.

If Dubas can move Engvall or Mikheyev, then maybe that opens a spot for Galchenyuk. But I just don't see a place for him today on the top 3 lines.

Or

You could sign him to a similar contract to have him push the guys listed above. Should he play well enough to push one of them aside, well all the better. Should he not play well enough you can send him to the Marlies with no cap hit and he is ready to come up and play incase of injury. He played well and didn't complain last time we sent him down and it doesn't appear any other team is offering him a spot on their team. Heck it's the Leafs so you can make it a one way contract. He would make more if he was send down.

Reactions: 666

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Bring him back.
How?

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Ritchie - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kase
Simmonds - Kampf - Spezza

+ Robertson, Anderson, Brooks, and Engvall all (near) ready for full-time permanent roles.

Even if you have different line combinations in mind than the above, all of those 12 will play.

Would have preferred to keep a young Korshkov, who was almost 1PPG in the KHL playoffs, over Galchenyuk or Simmonds for another 2 years. Don't like it in hindsight.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Would have preferred to keep a young Korshkov, who was almost 1PPG in the KHL playoffs, over Galchenyuk or Simmonds for another 2 years. Don't like it in hindsight.

Huh? 59GP 34P

Kroshkov may end up being a good player, but he is 25 and isn't really dominating the KHL.

I liked him as a prospect because we didn't have much of his type, and he put up decent numbers, but he isn't what you are saying.

I can see Galchenyuk playing more games for the Leafs than Kroshkov plays in his entire career.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Two things many here may not know. Guy is in great shape. Far from small. Cut like a greek statue, with really solid legs..

Sister is a model, depending on the picture you find, quite attractive...

He was way more physical on the boards than I expected...

I liked his game... a lot

To me, as an older man, 27 is still ever so young, especially with a guy who is built like him and has soft mittens...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
How?

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Ritchie - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kase
Simmonds - Kampf - Spezza

+ Robertson, Anderson, Brooks, and Engvall all (near) ready for full-time permanent roles.

Even if you have different line combinations in mind than the above, all of those 12 will play.

Galchenyuk would realistically be 2nd on our LW depth chart after Ritchie based on our current options.

In addition, Simmonds is a RW and Robertson is not a lock to make the team in training camp. Kase is also a huge question mark based on his durability.

I think we still need more forward depth, and Galchenyuk would be cheap and has proven chemistry with Tavares and Nylander.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Huh? 59GP 34P

Kroshkov may end up being a good player, but he is 25 and isn't really dominating the KHL.

I liked him as a prospect because we didn't have much of his type, and he put up decent numbers, but he isn't what you are saying.

I can see Galchenyuk playing more games for the Leafs than Kroshkov plays in his entire career.
He isn’t what I’m saying? I said he was near 1PPG in the playoffs, that is a fact.

I’ve watched him plenty. That was his 24 year old season and he has comparable, if not better, age adjusted KHL totals than Mikheyev/Barabanov/etc.

Cost controlled (less than 1m) 4th line 6’4” power forward with scoring touch is a unicorn in this pipeline outside of Knies. I’d take that long-term over Galchenyuk’s couple dozen games + OT giveaways. Gave away Marchment for the same waste of time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He isn’t what I’m saying? I said he was near 1PPG in the playoffs, that is a fact.

I’ve watched him plenty. That was his 24 year old season and he has comparable, if not better, age adjusted KHL totals than Mikheyev/Barabanov/etc.

Cost controlled (less than 1m) 4th line 6’4” power forward with scoring touch is a unicorn in this pipeline outside of Knies. I’d take that long-term over Galchenyuk’s couple dozen games + OT giveaways. Gave away Marchment for the same waste of time.

My mistake, I didn't see "playoffs", apologies.

I will say that an 11 game sample size is not enough to use though.

The issue is he is kind of slow, is likely topping out as a 4th liner on our roster, and is blocked by a lot of players who are arguably better.

As I said, I like him as a prospect, we just have a lot of forward prospects who are close to NHL ready who are ahead of him in the depth chart, so when does he get a look?

They took a gamble on Galchenyuk and he played fairly well for us (ya he made a mistake, should we trade Sandin for the two he made? Or Dermott?), Galchenyuk is only 2 years older, it isn't like we are talking about a prospect we traded that was 21 putting up these numbers in the KHL, I'd be way more upset with that.

I'd rather them trade someone like Kroshkov than a 2nd/3rd, keep the pipeline full and let go of players who have been passed over by other prospects.

Reactions: Knies iT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad