All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I thought he was a good fit with JT and Nylander. With our cap constraints, we're unlikely to find a better LW to play in the top six.

He looked good with them, and with Kerfoot/Nylander as well.

Imagine we sign galchenyuk cheap and bring back our 2nd line vs Montreal (after Tavares injury) as our 3rd

And you still have marner, Tavares, and Matthews all on top 2 lines. You'd need one more solid top 6 forward to pull it off though. Then guys like Bunting could be sprinkled around them imo

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If he can be had for less than 1.5AAV I say we bring him back and have a 3rd line checking line of:

Gally - Kampf - Micheyev

It wouldn't be a sexy high scoring line but it would be a very hard line to play against. That line would control the ice more often than not just by outworking their opponents.

I'd then trade Kerfoot and either one of Dermott or engvall for a player that can play in the top 6 LW. Maybe a Miles Wood.

Wood - Matthews - Mitch
Bunting - Tavares - Willy
Gally - Kampf - Micheyev
Robertson - Brooks - Spezza

anderson/simmonds

The way I see this lineup is that the C and RW positions are the constants and the LW'ers could be interchanged based on play. I'd feel comfortable with any of those 4 playing on any of those lines. We won't be driving play down the left side, but they will be able to hold court quite well. that's a lineup that you could easily roll the lines with. Lots of pace, and energy in that forward group.

pipe dream pickups on a deal involving Kerfoot's cap hit would be Bertuzzi, Keller, and Larkin. Not sure what other additional pieces would need to be added on our end, but I do think to some degree all of those players could be had at a fair cost. DET and Yzerman are not afraid to make bold moves if it improves their outlook in a couple years, and AZ has been in a constant state of liquidation since the season ended. I really think Keller not performing to his 7 mill hit is something their ownership is not necessarily keen on hanging on to. Despite his age and potential

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
If he can be had for less than 1.5AAV I say we bring him back and have a 3rd line checking line of:

Gally - Kampf - Micheyev

It wouldn't be a sexy high scoring line but it would be a very hard line to play against. That line would control the ice more often than not just by outworking their opponents.

I'd then trade Kerfoot and either one of Dermott or engvall for a player that can play in the top 6 LW. Maybe a Miles Wood.

Wood - Matthews - Mitch
Bunting - Tavares - Willy
Gally - Kampf - Micheyev
Robertson - Brooks - Spezza

anderson/simmonds

The way I see this lineup is that the C and RW positions are the constants and the LW'ers could be interchanged based on play. I'd feel comfortable with any of those 4 playing on any of those lines. We won't be driving play down the left side, but they will be able to hold court quite well. that's a lineup that you could easily roll the lines with. Lots of pace, and energy in that forward group.

pipe dream pickups on a deal involving Kerfoot's cap hit would be Bertuzzi, Keller, and Larkin. Not sure what other additional pieces would need to be added on our end, but I do think to some degree all of those players could be had at a fair cost. DET and Yzerman are not afraid to make bold moves if it improves their outlook in a couple years, and AZ has been in a constant state of liquidation since the season ended. I really think Keller not performing to his 7 mill hit is something their ownership is not necessarily keen on hanging on to. Despite his age and potential

I'd like to give Kerfoot a legitimate shot in the top 6. We acquired him and have placed him consistently as a 3C. Everytime he plays on the wing he's been a lot better. I personally see Kerfoot > Wood as he's "good" at everything. I wouldn't sign Gally at all.. he's not a top 6 guy. I would trade Engvall though to sign Galy into the top 9.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'd like to give Kerfoot a legitimate shot in the top 6. We acquired him and have placed him consistently as a 3C. Everytime he plays on the wing he's been a lot better. I personally see Kerfoot > Wood as he's "good" at everything. I wouldn't sign Gally at all.. he's not a top 6 guy. I would trade Engvall though to sign Galy into the top 9.
Ya I am ok with all of that as well. I do like Kerfoot, but I do question if he can sustain that level of play in the top 6 that we saw in the post season for a full 82 game season. I personally thought Kerfoot was great all year, and his pt total just didn't translate. But when you play on a line with Micheyev for 50 f***ing games, you can almost add an extra 10 pts for each of Ilya's linemates for all the chances he missed lol. God Ilya is so likeable for his effort and play but so frustrating how he has zero finish lol

Kerf does a lot of things right. And in an ideal world I'd love to keep him. I just think he poses a decent value piece to base a trade around acquiring a true top 6 LW. Wood was probably not the right placeholder to demonstrate what I was going for, I agree. But I do think we can upgrade the Left wing spot with Kerf as the centre piece and resign a Gally to fill a bottom 9 LW role

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Ya I am ok with all of that as well. I do like Kerfoot, but I do question if he can sustain that level of play in the top 6 that we saw in the post season for a full 82 game season. I personally thought Kerfoot was great all year, and his pt total just didn't translate. But when you play on a line with Micheyev for 50 f***ing games, you can almost add an extra 10 pts for each of Ilya's linemates for all the chances he missed lol. God Ilya is so likeable for his effort and play but so frustrating how he has zero finish lol

Kerf does a lot of things right. And in an ideal world I'd love to keep him. I just think he poses a decent value piece to base a trade around acquiring a true top 6 LW. Wood was probably not the right placeholder to demonstrate what I was going for, I agree. But I do think we can upgrade the Left wing spot with Kerf as the centre piece and resign a Gally to fill a bottom 9 LW role

Sure, if you're getting a player like Bertuzzi. Move Kerfoot + Robertson + high pick. I just don't see Miles Wood creating more value than Galchenyuk at this point. Engvall gone for Galchenyuk would solidify our top 9.

A lot of people think we need to bring in another top 6 winger. I think the issue is bringing in a third line C and re-signing Galchenyuk / trimming the fat. We can figure out top 6 winger as a trade asset deadline wise if Buting/Kerfoot/Galchenyuk fail down the LW. This shift only happens if we sign a 3C which is why I think Bozak cheap would be a good pickup vs. Tatar.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Sure, if you're getting a player like Bertuzzi. Move Kerfoot + Robertson + high pick
Honestly I think that is a massive overpayment for Bertuzzi but thats just me. I feel like that's a deal made for a Larkin not Bertuzzi. But then again I am not very good with valuations. All I know is that I'd be upset with giving up Robertson and Kerfoot for a player who may not even produce as much as Kerfoot if they were given equal opportunities. Thats nothing against Bert, I love his game. I just am not sure he is worth a good roster player, top tier prospect, and a high pick. To me, those deals are reserved for high impact players.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Honestly I think that is a massive overpayment for Bertuzzi but thats just me. I feel like that's a deal made for a Larkin not Bertuzzi. But then again I am not very good with valuations. All I know is that I'd be upset with giving up Robertson and Kerfoot for a player who may not even produce as much as Kerfoot if they were given equal opportunities. Thats nothing against Bert, I love his game. I just am not sure he is worth a good roster player, top tier prospect, and a high pick. To me, those deals are reserved for high impact players.

I'm not high on Robertson and his consistent falling act on the ice. The price to pay for a power forward..

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not high on Robertson and his consistent falling act on the ice. The price to pay for a power forward..
He is still young. Yes I agree, I question his ability to stay on his feet. I was openly concerned about that when I was watching his games with the Marlies last year. But this kid works his f***ing bag off. Hard to imagine the Leafs haven't identified that as a issue that he needs to fix. I expect to see a far better ability to stay upright next year just based on how hard this kid works at his craft. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, he's 19

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
with the terrible LW depth, no idea why he hasn't been brought back. Is he asking for too much?

Maybe he wants to explore his options. Perhaps not scratching him for Game One would have made a difference in the way he felt about how much he is welcomed here...

It didn't make sense to me any more than putting Sandin in for Dermott in game five after they just shut out the Habs 4-0.

I like that Keefe keeps it fresh throughout the season. Come playoffs you should always lean first to those who got you there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
900k likely the price point and I think he'll eventually re-sign.

The guy apparently really liked his time with the Leafs. And in turn the Leafs will want an aav that can be buried in the Marlies if need be

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Galchenyuk has a tendency to start hot no matter where he goes and then soon enough the magic wears off and he is out town and on to his next destination.

That is why Alex have been on 6 teams in his 7 year career to far. However because he was the #3 overall pick in his draft some team always thinks this is the time he finally gets it right so he gets more opportunities than most would based on the draft capital perception = his talent level.

Leafs really have nothing to lose by resigning him, because if he starts to slide again, just call him a cab as its a short ride down the street to the Marlies facility.

Reactions: tellermine

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Without development how did Marner get named 1st team NHL All Star?
First Leaf since Salming.
I’m sure playing with the best goal scorer since Ovechkin helped that along. What part of Marner’s game has taken a serious step forward from his draft season until now?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Galchenyuk has two options IMO if he wants a big payday, play here where he gets a top 6 role playing beside Nylander and JT or go to EDM and play on the left side of Drai. Sign for a year or two and rehabilitate your career. Nobody knows what he is at this point because he has bounced around so much.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
If I’m Dubas my offer to Galchenyuk is low. The rest of the league had pretty much given up on him but he’s progressed some in Toronto largely in part to how they handled him; he’s got a great opportunity moving forward on LW with Hyman gone too. He could look for opportunity or a couple 100k more elsewhere but that’s riskier without really any better chance of it paying off for him longterm. I’d see a cheap 2-year bridge deal as a win-win for both sides; it’d also give him some sort of stability for once which I think would be valuable to him.

1 year: 750k-900k
2 year: 900k-1.05m

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I hope I am really wrong about Robby but I don't see the great future in the NHL that others do. He is not very balanced on his skates...he falls a lot...not David Clarkson bad..but still a lot. He also has a great shot that he needs to really lean into to make it sing. That's a problem in a league that eats up time and space. You can be a smaller sniper if you can fire it off quickly like Caulfield does but Robby doesn't have that ability. Also, injuries with him are either bad luck or a pre-cursor to a Nolan Patrick type of player who is just not built for the grind.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I’m sure playing with the best goal scorer since Ovechkin helped that along. What part of Marner’s game has taken a serious step forward from his draft season until now?

I think Mitch is the best defensive foward on the team.
He is a top PK winger.

He was just named FIRST TEAM ALL STAR for the 1st time.
SO one of the 2 best wingers in the league.
Enjoy him.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would Rather Dubas sign Gally and dump Engvall. So much better player. Throws his weight around and most importantly played great defensively for us. I don’t hold one bad pass against him :)
I want Gally back. He played darn good for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad