All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
IMO, it's a mistake everyone can make.
One player was invisible tonight (you know who I mean), and the best Leafs player on the ice was underused with not enough TOI.
So I think the reason for loss is in second sentence.

NHL regulars don’t make that play. The majority of Junior players wouldn’t make that play. High school aged AAA players wouldn’t make that play.

Galchenyuk has bounced around from organization to organization for a reason. And that’s because he’s an unreliable player who will be in the KHL next season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
The guy is obviously giving 100% and leaving it all on the ice - he would die for this team in these playoffs. We need another dozen players with that attitude.

Alex will never make a play like that again - ever. Why waste a lesson learned by getting rid of him now?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Galchenyuk has some Mitch Marner in him. He likes to do the fancy passes. Can be a real crowd pleaser when it works. Sometimes it doesn't work. It's a fine line between dazzling and giveaway.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Also, he's not one of the "Big 4", of which only one is contributing goals. Galchenyuk's gaffe is no worse than their inability to score, his was just more obvious.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
He may have made the bad pass, but, he was put in a very bad position, by a really poor pinch by Bogo!
as soon as i saw him start to pinch, i was yelling "no, what are you doing!!" the Habs were already starting to break out when he was pinching, and thats why the pass was picked off.

Reactions: Burkeocet

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is reason why he is with us folks .. very poor defensive awareness and skills .. if he developed some with habs he would still be playing their .. he has good offensive skills but he defensive weaknesses costs his former teams many games and they all decided to move on

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bogo should not have pinched, Galch should not have tried that pass. Lesson learned we go again.

He has been solid the last 2 games and brings a little bit of offensive spark. He will bounce back.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Bogo should not have pinched, Galch should not have tried that pass. Lesson learned we go again.

He has been solid the last 2 games and brings a little bit of offensive spark. He will bounce back.
it was an aggressive pinch, but he had Gally there to support. I agree Bogo kind of got off the game plan likely, as the only way MTL scores is off of mistakes that we make and by pinching it inherently incorporates an element of risk. But at the end of the day, Bogo saw the support, he lost the pinch, and relied on his support guy to not make him look like a clown. Gally needs to keep that play simple there and just go right back down. It's a very very routine thing that any forward in Gally's situation knows to do. It should be second nature as a forward covering for a D. I have sympathy for Gally because he's brought it every game he has played, and mistakes happen. Unfortunately that play is entirely on him IMO. Again, we can say Bogo pinching put Gally in a position to make a mistake but in my mind its like blaming the bottle of whiskey for someone being an alcoholic.

the Gally hate is stupid. People make mistakes. Even pro athletes. I have no doubt in my mind there will be no more determined player on the ice come Saturday. He will make up for this mistake. Mark my words

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don’t know how anyone can definitively say that giveaway doesn’t define him. If the Leafs win this series great it doesn’t, but if God forbid they blow this it’ll be the turning point of the series. Had Montreal on the ropes and all the momentum heading into OT and he handed them the game and life in this series on a silver f***ing platter.

Again, if the Leafs win and sustain no injuries in what would now be an unnecessary Game 6, great. If the Leafs lose this series he’ll be Bill Buckner.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
This thread isn’t about them and while they need to be better, their brain dead play didn’t cost the game in OT.
There wouldn't be OT if he didn't set up Muzzin. So you should blame the ones responsible not the ones actually trying and contributing.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Galch has been great for us this series. 4 points in 4 games. And key f***ing points. +2. Yeah, it was a bad pass. It's not a representation of how well he's played for us -- either in the regular season, or the playoffs.

I definitely hope Alex is back for us on the cheap again next season. He'll help in the SO, too, which helps win divisions -- and consequently easier playoff paths.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
If you're complaining about Galch, I'm not sure you have a realistic view of the kind of value you can expect on your ~6th forward.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I hope his confidence isn't shot, it was a dumb play (to put it lightly) but he's done well otherwise

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
Gotta just put him back out there and let him get redemption, he will be motivated, it’s a shame because he’s been pretty solid up until that blunder.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There wouldn't be OT if he didn't set up Muzzin. So you should blame the ones responsible not the ones actually trying and contributing.
Yep he played great and then cost them the game, such is sports. I’m sure they are all trying and others are being blamed in their relevant threads.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We still might bring him back if the numbers make sense, but I don't blame him for testing the market.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He's got a great skills package but I think we saw up close and personal the reason why a guy like him has virtually zero staying power wherever he goes.

I think he's a backup plan if the Leafs can't bring in a top 6 winger. He's at least shown some chemistry and jam that worked in the top 9 at times.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think he's a backup plan if the Leafs can't bring in a top 6 winger. He's at least shown some chemistry and jam that worked in the top 9 at times.

Third overall talents definitely don’t grow on trees so he would be a fine backup plan since we’ve seen him in action with some success last year. It’s just the way it ended you almost just want to move on and not have the dilemma of having to trust him in a big moment and his low IQ comes back to haunt you.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad