GDT: All Playoff Talk Thread!!

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Rangers win and Kevin Klein is heading to the Stanley Cup Final. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Rooting for the Rangers to win since LA or Chicago have won it in the last 2 yrs.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I would prefer to see the Hawks beaten. But if the Kings advance, I think they will shred the Rangers. Quick is standing on his head and the Kings system is relentless.
Rangers best chance to win the cup is thru the Blackhawks. So I am torn, because I also am rooting for Optimus8Klein.
A great guy.

OT: worst thing about watching this deep into the finals is seeing how far from being a contender our team is. Nashville lacks the depth up front to play for all the marbles. Unless the new coaching staff can come up with a miraculous system AND GMDP can retool the lineup to acquire more scoring talent, they are still at least 2 years from being past the 2nd round IMHO.

Last edited:

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I think the reason we look like we're a long way yet is because the west is absolutely stacked and the East is very weak. Yes, the East will have a couple strong teams, but the West has the 5 or 6 best and it doesn't look to change next year, either - and those are the teams we are so very far behind in terms of depth up front. Unless that shifts, even if GMDP is able to pull off 2 FA signings, it's still gonna' be a struggle for a few more years. But, could be a whole lot worse - we could be CLG or EDM who are miles away from what we have, or even a quickly declining VAN - who might have one more push in them but then are gonna' be hurting much worse than we are today.

Personally, I expect DET to get it back together next year and force the east to step it up. It's been too easy to watch Cindy and her girls run away and hide with amazing regular season scoring knowing they were just gonna' fold in the POs; that won't happen with DET. and the opening is gonna' be big, too, cause BOS may have one more push in them, but definitely showing some age at key spots. This is our best hope to be more quickly competitive - that the east somehow looks more attractive to all that talent that has been changing conferences the last several years with very little moving toward the Atlantic and the "traditional" US markets.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If the Hawks win Sunday, I can tell you this: the Stanley Cup will be lifted on the 11th of June.

You do realize that New York swept Chicago during the regular season right? I do know that that wasn't the play offs but I do feel that means that the Rangers will not get swept. I see this as a 6 or 7 game series that could go either way, all depending on the goalies.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I generally think that the idea of "a mold to win the Stanley Cup" is over emphasized, but I think it's worth noting the last 4 teams remaining all had #1D (Doughty, Keith, Subban, McD), while not every had a top goalie (Crawford) or a true #1C (NYR and MTL).

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I generally think that the idea of "a mold to win the Stanley Cup" is over emphasized, but I think it's worth noting the last 4 teams remaining all had #1D (Doughty, Keith, Subban, McD), while not every had a top goalie (Crawford) or a true #1C (NYR and MTL).

But each one of those teams has incredible depth at the forward position, so a #1 C isn't necessary in MTL and NYR case

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I like how Patrick Kane has no problem shooting in the playoffs but would much rather show everyone his stick handling skills in the Olympics.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
But each one of those teams has incredible depth at the forward position, so a #1 C isn't necessary in MTL and NYR case

I'm aware, I just thought it was interesting to point out. In the past, the "mold" to win a cup has supposedly been building around a top C, but this year is a bit different. Like I said, I tend to think "mold"s are overrated and think you should just get the best possible players and hope for the best, but I thought it was interesting.

Ranskyre

Feb 10, 2014
Game 7 between Hawks and Kings: After the last two games, I'm thinking somebody's going to leave on a stretcher.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
What a series- too bad that wasn't the Stanley Cup final...

It is almost incomprehensible what the LA Kings just pulled off- winning 3 straight game 7's- all on the road- against 3 great teams in San Jose, Anaheim, and Chicago....

And also went 7-0 in elimination games- 7-0!!

Just an incredible run.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad