All inclusive coaching discussion for this and future seasons

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I think most of us would sacrifice chickens to be mediocre.

But I guess continuing to be ******* is a better option.

Yes, that's clearly the choice the Oilers have - hire Hitchcock or be s*****.

If we are going to sit around an fantasize about what coaches we want to hire while ignoring all the roster problems, and the fact that current GM wants a mini-me puppet running things - some of us are going to want someone other than a coach that is angling to get fired in a few months after another probable early playoff exit despite a stacked team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, that's clearly the choice the Oilers have - hire Hitchcock or be s*****.

If we are going to sit around an fantasize about what coaches we want to hire while ignoring all the roster problems, and the fact that current GM wants a mini-me puppet running things - some of us are going to want someone other than a coach that is angling to get fired in a few months after another probable early playoff exit despite a stacked team.

Well what's more realistic? A better head coach or a better GM/pres/owner/roster?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Whats more realistic, firing what appears to be a very competent coach (Renney, Krueger, Nelson) and expecting better results, or changing the roster and expecting better results?

I wouldn't classify Renney or Kreuger as competent coaches, unless we're talking compared to Eakins. And things have been average at best under Nelson.

And given MacT's "roster changes" I think the answer's obvious. I mean look at what our projected top D pairing is next year and try to tell me that you believe MacT can put together a good defense.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I really don't see why you wouldn't upgrade if given the opportunity. And you don't need to fire Nelson.

Wouldn't it be smarter to let an experienced head coach mentor him than to throw him to the wolves like we do with our other rookies?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I really don't see why you wouldn't upgrade if given the opportunity. And you don't need to fire Nelson.

Wouldn't it be smarter to let an experienced head coach mentor him than to throw him to the wolves like we do with our other rookies?

Not sure if you are aware but nelson has 14 years of pro hockey coaching experience, 2 of those being an assistant in the NHL and 5 years as a head coach in the AHL, he has never had lower than a .546 win percentage as a head coach, also winning 2 UHL championships, not to mention 14 years playing. Its not like he is a guy who just studied hockey for the last 2 years. He took the Barons to the playoffs the last 4 years in a row when they really didn't have much of a team. How much more mentoring does he need?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I wouldn't classify Renney or Kreuger as competent coaches, unless we're talking compared to Eakins. And things have been average at best under Nelson.

And given MacT's "roster changes" I think the answer's obvious. I mean look at what our projected top D pairing is next year and try to tell me that you believe MacT can put together a good defense.

Yes thats why Renney coached 9 years in the NHL, because he was incompetent?

You were asking for Bylsma, he had 5 years of pro hockey coaching experience before he head coached in the NHL, 1 year as a head coach in the AHL, 1 year as NHL assistant and 3 years of AHL assistant. He won the very first year with Pens, followed by 3 early exits, and the Pens are a cup favourite every year. If you just judge a coach just by NHL experience, I can show you just as many failures of hirings as I can in successes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure if you are aware but nelson has 14 years of pro hockey coaching experience, 2 of those being an assistant in the NHL and 5 years as a head coach in the AHL, he has never had lower than a .546 win percentage as a head coach, also winning 2 UHL championships, not to mention 14 years playing. Its not like he is a guy who just studied hockey for the last 2 years. He took the Barons to the playoffs the last 4 years in a row when they really didn't have much of a team. How much more mentoring does he need?

As anyone will tell you, there is a very distinct difference between AHL and NHL hockey. Whatever happened to Guy Boucher?

Dallas Eakins played a number of years in hockey, was an assistant for the Maple Leafs before coaching the Mariles.

I just don't get why bringing in an experienced NHL coach is such a bad idea for a ****** team that wouldn't know how to win if it hit them between the eyes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes thats why Renney coached 9 years in the NHL, because he was incompetent?

You were asking for Bylsma, he had 5 years of pro hockey coaching experience before he head coached in the NHL, 1 year as a head coach in the AHL, 1 year as NHL assistant and 3 years of AHL assistant. He won the very first year with Pens, followed by 3 early exits, and the Pens are a cup favourite every year. If you just judge a coach just by NHL experience, I can show you just as many failures of hirings as I can in successes.

Tom Renney wasn't exactly a successful head coach. Go look at his track record.

There's a plethora of experienced NHL coaches we've missed out on because dingus and dongus up top opted to go for the AHL route. But I guess it makes sense to hire AHL coaches for AHL teams, doesn't it?

I'll never trust MacT to make a correct decision. He'll probably think this little run we're on is how good we're really are and then watch the ship sink next year too.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Tom Renney wasn't exactly a successful head coach. Go look at his track record.

There's a plethora of experienced NHL coaches we've missed out on because dingus and dongus up top opted to go for the AHL route. But I guess it makes sense to hire AHL coaches for AHL teams, doesn't it?

I'll never trust MacT to make a correct decision. He'll probably think this little run we're on is how good we're really are and then watch the ship sink next year too.

If you don't trust MacT to make the right decision, why are you saying we need to hire a new coach while MacT is still GM?

You finally realized our team isn't that great (AHL team in your words), we finally agree on something.

So in your opinion, we are not playing better the last 15 games, its smoke and mirrors?

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well what's more realistic? A better head coach or a better GM/pres/owner/roster?

Realistic?

Realistic is expecting nothing to improve on the team, ie - Same GM, same president, same owner, nearly the same roster(probably a bit worse), and probably the same coach if he's not fired and replaced with Eakins version 2.0.

Of course, I'm not sure what my lack of fandom for Hitchcock has to do with a scenario about the more realistic outcome between hiring a new coach, and the removal of everyone currently involved in running the franchise.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Babcock is not coming to a team that's been in the lottery the last several years.

He's not coming.

Still not coming.

HE IS NOT COMING.

So you're saying there's a 50-50 chance he's coming! OMG Mike Babcock, Stanley Cup here we come!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The oilers and mact are easy to figure out. No chance they hire anyone with clout or who would actiavly call them out so zero chance they get a guy like Hitch.

They will retain Nelson on a one year 'show me' contract. No way he gets any term at all.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Michel Therrien is exactly what this Oilers team needs. Unfortunately I don't see that happening unless Montreal has a serious meltdown.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Realistic?

Realistic is expecting nothing to improve on the team, ie - Same GM, same president, same owner, nearly the same roster(probably a bit worse), and probably the same coach if he's not fired and replaced with Eakins version 2.0.

Of course, I'm not sure what my lack of fandom for Hitchcock has to do with a scenario about the more realistic outcome between hiring a new coach, and the removal of everyone currently involved in running the franchise.

Nothing will change significantly unless Katz decided to rid all the incompetents. Time to cheer for other teams or find something else to do during the winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad