All inclusive coaching discussion for this and future seasons

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Until the Oilers remove the intern coach title from Mr Nelson, I think that we should address who are the options that are out there

Although--I vote to keep Nelson behind the bench

the two guys that jump to my mind are

Marc Crawford--Currently coaching in the Swiss league and coached the team to great success--some scuttlebut has him comiing back to the NHL this year

Ken Hitchcock--Before the blues started winning again--scuttlebut was he lost the the team--first round knock out could cost him his job--strong connections to the oilers back from his WHL days

Mike Babcock--currently with the wing and is he leaves the Wings--there will be a QUEUE OF TEAMS lining up for him. A suggestion last year in HNIC waa that Babcock is looking to step up to be GM and would only take a coaching job if the GM title was included and that might scare a few teams away. If TSn is to be believed the moment they can--the Leafs will be backing up a truck of cash and a name your price offer

will add others to the list as they come up and create a poll later

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Babcock's a pipe dream.
I wonder if the blues fail in the playoffs again, will Hitchcock have pressure to be fired?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If Babcock is a choice you take him.

as for the future NDT said it best:

Rx62a00.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
sorry--Remind me who Don Nelson was/is--he is a coach somewhere

Don coached in many places including Dallas and Golden State, his son Donnie Nelson also coaches IIRC. Don owns quite a bit of property here on Maui. I've met him, he's a nice guy IMO.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
If Babcock's conditions are complete and ultimate control then you give it to him along with several truckloads of cash.

This team has nothing to lose.

But that means Katz's buddies would have to get canned and since that'll never happen then the dream is dead.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
added Hitchcock name to the OP--can not add his to the Poll

Reason for this was earlier it was suggested he had lost the room and the team was struggling to do anything--but they turned most things around and are playing better. But a first round knock out could be bad for him

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Doug Armstrong has been talking about Hitch always having a job in St. Louis, and Hitch has spoken about not always wanting to coach. A good chance this could be his last season as Blues coach, irrespective of playoff performances, but he'll be moving upstairs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only way Babcock comes here is if they win the lottery and get McDavid, and Babcock is allowed a ton of control over the organization with a large raise.

I still think Marc Crawford is worth a look. His specialty is getting talented 1st rounders who maybe haven't broken out right away to take off. He would be a godsend to Draisaitl, Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, RNH and their possibly save their development. That and he actually wants to coach here still.

We desperately need someone who can do for Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, etc. what Crawford did for Naslund, Bertuzzi, etc. Take them to the next (several) levels.

I'm willing to give Nelson a fair shot though. He's better than Eakins, the question is if that's good enough. Lets see how the rest of the year goes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's no Crosby/Malkin/Letang here.

Not sure how well Blysma would work with this group, assuming there is no McDavid.

IMO even though people don't like him, Crawford is a better coach and better at developing talent, he would've won at least one Cup with that Pittsburgh group too.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I chose Nelson. I like what he is doing.

Hitchcock would be great as well, but Nelson has put in his dues in OKC with this organization. Hopefully Nelson pans out.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
That's a really hard question to answer.

Neslon hasn't proven himself to be incompetent so far. Under him a few of our players are looking better and our team has a noticeably better record, but this could just be the group coming out of a horrible slump.

If you believe that our team is actually as bad as their previous record suggested, then you should ignore that last sentence and support Neslon to some degree.

Hitchcock... the only way I could imagine him coming here is if he's guaranteed that players will be traded if he doesn't get results out of them. There are a ton of players who could flat out drown under him.

I he's always cared about team defence and having a strong forecheck. Schultz, Hunt, Yakupov and Hall would probably have huge issues playing for him.

Crawford is a viable option IMO, but I don't think he's an idiot. I don't think that any reputable coach is going to come in here unless they've given some promises. He's an emotional guy and I since so many of our players are known to be so gutless his personality could really backfire on him.

Babcock ... .can you imagine how much we'd probably have to overpay the guy to come here? He could go anywhere he wants and without a doubt be the highest paid coach wherever he goes. Like Hitch, he'd demand a lot more than what we've been getting out our players and he'd obviously need some kind of promises from management in the case that he wasn't getting what he needed out of our core players.

I guess the the obvious choice to coach at this point is Nelson and what I want is pretty much irrelevant because Edmonton has shown no interest in making hard decisions. I can't imagine either of those 3 big name coaches having any interest in coming here unless Edmonton made it clear that they were willing to bite the bullet.

But if I had a choice, I'd go with Babcock. He seems to be able to get more out of his players and he's a great tactician. I think we'd at least have to find the guy a legit 1st pairing d-man for him to have any interest in coming here, though.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
If Babcock's conditions are complete and ultimate control then you give it to him along with several truckloads of cash.

This team has nothing to lose.

But that means Katz's buddies would have to get canned and since that'll never happen then the dream is dead.

If Katz had the balls to treat the team like a true business and fire all the OBC, then Babcock would come. You are right that is only in dream and we fans continue to suffer.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
If Katz had the balls to treat the team like a true business and fire all the OBC, then Babcock would come. You are right that is only in dream and we fans continue to suffer.

I love how the perception is that Katz is this ruthlessly successful business man in every facet of his life except the Oilers.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Unless we get a big overhaul on D and in net, and and a good 2nd line center, no coach will take us to the playoffs. But I like what Nelson does for young players. I think he gives them confidence (opposite Eakins...)

Last edited:

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Unless we get a big overhaul on D and in net, and and a good 2nd line center, no coach will take us to the pkayoffs. But I like what Nelson does foryoung players. I think he gives them confidence (opposite Eakins...)

So...the team. We have to change the team.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Babcock is not coming to a team that's been in the lottery the last several years.

Only way Babcock comes here is if they win the lottery and get McDavid, and Babcock is allowed a ton of control over the organization with a large raise.

He's not coming.

And made him GM and ... and...

Still not coming.

But what if...

HE IS NOT COMING.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad