All inclusive coaching discussion for this and future seasons

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I voted Hitch because he's the best realistic option.

Babcock ain't coming

Is Hitch realistic?

Sample phone call...

Hitch: Hello?

Mact: Hitch! Sorry to hear that you're out of St. Louis but we want you on the Oilers!

Hitch: Um... didn't you place in the bottom five the last several years? No thanks. <click>

================
Mact calls again.

Mact: We must have lost the connection. Yes, but we can only go up from here.

Hitch: Didn't you fire the last five coaches, and none of these coaches are in the NHL coaching anymore? <click>

================
Mact calls again.

Mact: Damn connection. Yes, but we can guarantee a lengthy contract with you.

Hitch: Who's your top defender?

Mact: Justin Schultz

Hitch: <click>

================
Mact calls again.

Mact: Damn connection. Yes, but he's young and only getting better.

Hitch: Who's your starting goaltender?

Mact: Ben Scrivens

Hitch: <click>

Mact runs out of quarters....

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I like Nelson. Dn NOT want Hitch at all. We dont have the kind of team to play his boring defensive hockey style

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

A good coach but the wrong one for this team. Bylsma expects you too understand and execute complex system play. He's a pure X's and O's style coach. We need a guy who can preach the fundamentals and crack the whip a little bit. That guy ideally is Babcock but that's a pipe dream. It's tough situation a lot can change in a few months here.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Babcock is not coming to a team that's been in the lottery the last several years.

He's not coming.

Still not coming.

HE IS NOT COMING.

Of course he isnt. I'd be shocked if he leaves Detroit.

I merely mentioned that if he even somewhat remotely entertained the idea the team should give him whatever he wants.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'm actually enjoying hockey now that the Nelson era has begun.. Back on track after 1.5 seasons of having a fitness coach teaching hockey to professionals.

After reading a blog post about the ping pong table by Principe.. Why the hell was that thing ever gone?

My vote is in for Nelson. I honestly think Hitchcock does not have "it." Babcock has it, D. Sutter has it, Hitchcock does NOT.
I am willing to give another rookie coach, in Nelson, a shot because I think he has what it takes to have players doing their best in high pressure situations(the playoffs.)

Yes I am homer. Love tomato head

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
The poll should be, "assuming Babcock isn't coming, who would you want?"

Because Babcock is a no-brainer. There are 24 teams who'd pay him 4-5 Million per season.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm actually enjoying hockey now that the Nelson era has begun.. Back on track after 1.5 seasons of having a fitness coach teaching hockey to professionals.

After reading a blog post about the ping pong table by Principe.. Why the hell was that thing ever gone?

My vote is in for Nelson. I honestly think Hitchcock does not have "it." Babcock has it, D. Sutter has it, Hitchcock does NOT.
I am willing to give another rookie coach, in Nelson, a shot because I think he has what it takes to have players doing their best in high pressure situations(the playoffs.)

Yes I am homer. Love tomato head

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hitchcock either. I've always considered him the Joe Thornton of coaching. Gets results in the regular season, but his teams lack another level in the playoffs.

His level of success after two strong years on one of the truly stacked teams of the dead puck era has been less than inspiring, and he won't survive another early exit in St Louis.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Should hire that Eakins guy we've heard so much about. I hear he has a reputation of knowing how to motivate players and is very acute at knowing how each individual person needs to be pressed to get 100% out of them. I also hear that his teams always, ALWAYS, are completely prepared every game and they never waver. He is also on the cutting edge of analytics which the Oilers are committed to using to bring the team forward and create a team that can not only win next year, but be competitive for a cup for 10-15 years.

Yeah sorry, my sarcasm regulator is broken tonight.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Voted to keep Nelson because in my mind Babcock is unattainable - He's pretty smart and likely understands that this team has certain limitations due to factors beyond his control. I doubt he'd consider an organization with massive structural issues.

Nelson hasn't been terrible either, assuming he can continue to get the team to play concerned hockey we should hold on to him. I think right now maintaining some sense of consistency in the coaching department is crucial as I can only imagine that some of our players are going crazy having to re-learn systems each and every year.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
with the way Mact continues to spew praise for Eakins and is reluctant to praise Nelson, I'd say they're going with someone else this summer. Decision is already made. Didn't even give Nelson the rest of the season.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If Nelson can keep us hovering around .5 give or take a little I'm fine with him. I think he's a solid choice considering the upper echelon of potentially fired coaches won't touch this team.

If someone were to ask me say Keenan or Nelson, I'll choose Nelson.

I'd like Tom Renney to be an associate though but unsure if that is possible.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Do our due diligence. We need to go after every candidate and include them in the process (as well as Nelson). That is how every half decent franchise in every sport is run.

Either way it's irrelevant because idiots are in charge and everyone knows that.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
If Nelson continues to get our players going i think he deserves a 2 years contract as the Oilers coach.

Doesnt want a no hungry established name who is not willing to adapt to the roster he has to work with.(or a ping pong hater who thinks hes bigger then the team).

Happy to see that Nelson so far has got almost every player to compete as a team and perhaps we have a d stud next season thanks to him, gave "klefbomb" the chance, and know how to build up his confidence, same goes with schultz who looks like a whole new player close to the expectations that we had for him.

Hire Eakins and hold on to him so f long is more then enough to give Mct a one way ticket out from town regardless if Nelson turns it around.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
I'd go all out looking for experienced coaches before sticking with Nelson.

nodding_clint_eastwood.gif

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Keep Nelson.. the player like him just as they liked Krueger. No need for change despite the potential big names available.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hitchcock either. I've always considered him the Joe Thornton of coaching. Gets results in the regular season, but his teams lack another level in the playoffs.

His level of success after two strong years on one of the truly stacked teams of the dead puck era has been less than inspiring, and he won't survive another early exit in St Louis.

NS_19KENCUP_3818436.JPG

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You should have Tortorella and Keenan with their cup pictures too, gives some balance.

It's not fair to call a coach who's won a Cup the "Joe Thornton" of coaches.

Besides, we're not looking to win the damn Cup, we just want to be competitive. The Blues are a very competitive team (except for tonight)

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
It's not fair to call a coach who's won a Cup the "Joe Thornton" of coaches.

Besides, we're not looking to win the damn Cup, we just want to be competitive. The Blues are a very competitive team (except for tonight)

I think we are about as competitive as we can be right now with this roster.

Is it shocking that the Blues are competitive with their roster?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo it's Nelson's job to lose. So how he does for the rest of the season matters, but as of today I choose Nelson.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

His level of success after two strong years on one of the truly stacked teams of the dead puck era has been less than inspiring

Since you missed it

He's been mediocre since he was fired from Dallas, and the whole reason why he might be available this off season is because St.Louis has been spinning it's wheels in the playoffs under him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we are about as competitive as we can be right now with this roster.

Is it shocking that the Blues are competitive with their roster?

Well might as well just fire everyone then.

Since you missed it

He's been mediocre since he was fired from Dallas, and the whole reason why he might be available this off season is because St.Louis has been spinning it's wheels in the playoffs under him.

I think most of us would sacrifice chickens to be mediocre.

But I guess continuing to be ******* is a better option.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00