Post-Game Talk: All Good Things…

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wasn’t referring to your general outlook on the team.

I was referring to your reductionist view that it was about goaltending last night. It absolutely wasn’t.

Hill played great and Skinner played great. The difference was that Hill got away with his errors and Skinner didn’t get away with one, very minor error. I didn’t see any others and there definitely wasn’t one on the second goal…

You think you saw one there, but I don’t think anyone who’s strapped em on themselves would agree. And we are all self critical perfectionists.
By no means was Skinner great last night and I've watched the 2nd goal several times trying to deduce your take on that one. Skinner lost his posts on that play. he was actually set, and then inexplicably moved away from post giving short side. He had time, it was a bad set and not being square to shooter. I don't think he really anticipated or read the play well.

Now if you said Skinner played well I could see that view. I don't think he was exceptional last night. One goalie was great,

Nor do I fault Nurse too much on the play. Cotter who you seemed to deride is a big strong lad, maybe not talented but made an in out move that could have caught Nurse by surprise. He was then physical to puck as Knights tend to be. I mean Cotter is as strong as Nurse. Nurse just lost that battle, which is part of hockey.

Skinner gave up short side on the goal. harder to defend that error jmo.

Even on the first goal Adin Hill faced several instances like that and held the fort. We gave Vegas 5 scoring chances and they got two goals and hit two posts. Do the math. Thats with the Oilers almost perfectly limiting chances against.

Guess you didn't see Skinner misplay the puck a few times either including with minutes left in the game that he got away with, that didn't cost him. Or Skinner passing the puck to the point for Vegas either on another couple plays.

Meanwhile Adin Hill is making brilliant fakes and reverses with the puck crisply, and fooling some of the best players in hockey helping to transition puck out.

Struds had an NHL career man. He knows more about hockey than you or anyone here, period. So what if he didn’t have an answer for Vegas, name any coach in the league that does.

Although I’m hoping Knoblauch learned from the game last night and figured something out for next time. God I hate Vegas
My point is he doesn't know more about offense than McDrai. Struds even talking about offense is an offense. ;) I'm kidding around. I'm not a fan of him by any means but oh well.

Struds as reported was saying Vegas D was not complicated. The inference being it should be picked. That was what I was responding to, that nobody has been able to do that. If that isn't what Struds point was then what was it?

Jason Strudwick scoring 13 career goals in 28 seasons of play. (I'm being facetious) being the diviner of offensive play.

Maybe Ceci could retire and get a gig telling the Oilers what they should be doing offensively. It would be just as laughable, that was my point. Strudwick was inept offensively, absolutely awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: iCanada

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
The 2nd Vegas goal starts with a terrible Oiler giveaway in the Neutral zone. No chip and chase, no battle, just spin and no look backhand to Cotter??? Wtf. And this is long before he falls or gets tripped. Could Ceci, Foegele, Skinner done better. Possibly. But none of them did anything as lazy as that neutral zone turnover….

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I am still pissed that these prick Ref did not make two 100% calls that happened right before both Vegas goals. That's another hurdle playing them in the playoffs. Refs will change the standard here and there

Another game where we dominate the play and come out down on pps

There was a sequence of an Oiler being tripped while skating back to get the puck (I think it was McLeod) during the last half of the 3rd period with the official looking point black at the play. No call of course. It's astounding that the knights are apparent clean players.
Pietrangelo's still a pissbaby f***ing bitch though.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You have dozens of guys you carve on steady, both past and present but it hurts your feelings that we, two Oiler fans that don't know each, don't share the same opinion on a player. He could be a complete player. He chooses not to be. And thats ok. Many skilled guys, some in the HOF, weren't complete players. He has the skill to be one…
The difference is that he carves on useless turds like Yamamoto and Brown. There's a Grand Canyon sized chasm between trash like that an elite talent like Draisaitl. I hope that you understand the difference.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Solid game from EDM. Can't complain about the effort given. They gave it their all. My takeaways are they deserved a heck of a lot better and in the end Skinner while he wasn't bad by any means, was not good enough in the end. He failed to make those key saves you need. And it's not like he stood on his head. I think you could count every high danger shot Vegas had on one finger. EDM for large stretches dominated. But now I'm sitting back and I'm weary of Skinner. Can be be the guy to make those saves? Guess we will see. The other side is EDM should have scored at least a few more and should have probably still won if they could have capitalized on all their chances. 2 wide open nets and 2 posts not to mention Hill played lights out.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
The difference is that he carves on useless turds like Yamamoto and Brown. There's a Grand Canyon sized chasm between trash like that an elite talent like Draisaitl. I hope that you understand the difference.
Jeez….No I thought all NHL’ers were equally as skilled….

Another guy who gets butt hurt because I don't like Leos game often times. Its ok if he's not my favourite Oiler.

Good thing I dont call Leo a useless turd like that….you guys might call the cops.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
To be clear, I don't question Leon's work ethic at all, I just think he needs to change how he's playing on the offensive side of the ice. Less stop and pass, more chip and drive. He is an absolute weapon when he plays in straight lines and charges to the net breaking in, but that just hasn't been happening this season at all really. He's still playing as if he's with McDavid, but he isn't in any sense of the word.
This is a great point. I've always wondered why he crosses the blue line, button hooks, and drifts to the boards, looking for a passing outlet. He's a big-bodied 50-goal scorer. Drive to the net and shoot it! Unless he's injured, I really wish that he'd try to expand his repertoire of moves. For me, this is what separates him from someone like MacKinnon, who has more weapons in his arsenal, including the net drive.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Vegas D so easy to figure out being the SC champion and all and still playing a real solid game a season later. Plus to hear a plug like Strudwick talk about offense is a bit much. Gee I wonder what superstars like McDrai would think about a lump like Strudwick telling them they're doing it all wrong and smarten up.. yeah its easy from the couch.

But again if Struds figures Vegas is so easy to unlock then how come no teams are doing this? How come no teams could beat them last post season?

What Vegas are doing in own zone has worked pretty impeccably in hockey for as long as I've watched. What doesn't get stated is that it sure isn't easy picking them apart. With active sticks, great anticipation its not just about the sets Vegas uses. they are active and quick on pucks and sense any opportunity to disposess and break the other way. Vegas attention to detail is what makes them what they are. Vegas play a solid team game with solid coaching. I think Struds is underselling them. Maybe its your description but..

So struds doesn't have any of the answers, only critique. Good to know. heh. I'm sure thats helpful. Personally I can't listen to the guy for 5mins before falling asleep. We all have different analysts we prefer I guess.
shocker even struds annoys you.

• Haha

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Jeez….No I thought all NHL’ers were equally as skilled….

Another guy who gets butt hurt because I don't like Leos game often times. Its ok if he's not my favourite Oiler.

Good thing I dont call Leo a useless turd like that….you guys might call the cops.
Yup, there's actually more than one of us on these boards who appreciates elite talent. Hard to imagine, I know :D

The way you disparage Draisaitl, you'd think he and Brown had the same talent level, so I'm not sure of the sarcasm there.

Draisaitl, like you and I, are human, so of course he's not perfect. Even McDavid, for all of his splendour, isn't perfect. But I think the good far outweighs the bad. If you can't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

If you don't appreciate Draisaitl for what he brings to the team, may I suggest the Leafs or Canucks boards? I think you'll be a great fit. There's a few others I have in mind that I can also make that recommendation ;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Haven't bothered much with this thread, still a bit annoyed today.

Don't really get the shouting down "negative talk" about losing last night (aside from the usual suspect scumposting posters that are magically reappearing, I'm sure). I think it's fair to praise them for a job well done on a 16 win streak, but also feel disappointed and like it was a missed opportunity against one of the grossest and most overrated teams in the league. This one stings as a fan. Idk

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Yup, there's actually more than one of us on these boards who appreciates elite talent. Hard to imagine, I know :D

The way you disparage Draisaitl, you'd think he and Brown had the same talent level, so I'm not sure of the sarcasm there.

Draisaitl, like you and I, are human, so of course he's not perfect. Even McDavid, for all of his splendour, isn't perfect. But I think the good far outweighs the bad. If you can't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

If you don't appreciate Draisaitl for what he brings to the team, may I suggest the Leafs or Canucks boards? I think you'll be a great fit. There's a few others I have in mind that I can also make that recommendation ;)
I disparage Leo??? Lol

No…I dont like his game often times. Just because he's got elite skill doesn't mean he's an elite player when he fly’s by, throws pucks away, and tries hard to be second.

When he choses to be…hes one of the top players in the league.

So….I gotta switch teams because I dont like Leos game all the time??? Well you guys that call Oilers useless turds should look in the mirror.

Watch a game for a change instead of typing. You're missing out

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I disparage Leo??? Lol

No…I dont like his game often times. Just because he's got elite skill doesn't mean he's an elite player when he fly’s by, throws pucks away, and tries hard to be second.

When he choses to be…hes one of the top players in the league.

So….I gotta switch teams because I dont like Leos game all the time??? Well you guys that call Oilers useless turds should look in the mirror.

Watch a game for a change instead of typing. You're missing out
I'd say that harping on "Leo" after every single flyby, turnover, etc is disparaging him. Do you chime in when he scores with "great shot" or when he assists with "great pass"? Picking solely on someone's faults or flaws while ignoring their attributes is disparaging in my opinion. Speaking of watching the game, maybe you're missing out on his great plays because you're too busy writing a hate post.

If you don't like his "bad habits" or aren't his biggest fan, that's your prerogative. And there's no need to switch teams, but if you are an Oilers fan, it will be a mighty long time until we get another player of Draisaitl's caliber let alone McDavid.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I'd say that harping on "Leo" after every single flyby, turnover, etc is disparaging him. Do you chime in when he scores with "great shot" or when he assists with "great pass"? Picking solely on someone's faults or flaws while ignoring their attributes is disparaging in my opinion. Speaking of watching the game, maybe you're missing out on his great plays because you're too busy writing a hate post.

If you don't like his "bad habits" or aren't his biggest fan, that's your prerogative. And there's no need to switch teams, but if you are an Oilers fan, it will be a mighty long time until we get another player of Draisaitl's caliber let alone McDavid.
I hopped on this thread today commenting on the guys getting mad about other posters harping on Leo. Yes, I do make positive comments and enjoy watching him make great plays. I dont enjoy the other stuff. The lazy shit. The lazy penalties. Etc…

Watch the second goal from yesterday. If you can watch that and say that the laziest, no care play on the ice wasnt in the neutral zone…well then I dont know what to say. If thats a dman and he throws that muffin away to a guy on a breakaway guys are ready to hang him. There is no difference. Thats not an NHL play. And it happens way too often with this guy. Doesnt matter if you scored 50 in the show or not. Have some care factor in a tied game late in the third to get 17 in a row.

And again, I dont blame the loss on him
Or anyone. We played well enough to win.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Unfortunately probably +80% chance we're going to be facing Vegas in first round. I don't see how it even ends up being anybody else unless Nucks suddenly fall off a cliff. (I wouldn't cry)

Overall I should preface comments with I'm fine with where the Oilers are. Its the recovery of season I expected and the team is too good to count out not being in playoffs. Was saying that in November. Thing is though the win streak has created such illusions about where the team is at and how much work, filling holes is required. Worst fear is that Holland thinks we are pretty much set. I'd almost rather see some wrinkles so that our management don't land on that conclusion.
I’d agree with that. Worst case is picking up loose change at the deadline that barely plays.

I’m torn between finding a replacement for Ceci and getting a top 6 winger. I really believe we need more depth scoring for the playoffs.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You obviously never saw him play here...lol

That was a dismal time period.
Oh I did haha. He would be the first person to admit he was no Pronger or even VD.

I’m surprised you don’t like him. He has a hockey camp and all the dads were more excited about it than the kids.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh I did haha. He would be the first person to admit he was no Pronger or even VD.

I’m surprised you don’t like him. He has a hockey camp and all the dads were more excited about it than the kids.
I have kind of a conditioned pet peeve for all the hockey hangers on that can't think of anything else to do post career and so just keep being around hockey in some way. Usually as commentators, and almost invariably the worst players on the ice are the ones doing it. Guys like Debrusk.

They're doing no favors having them do the commentary.

But long said I would prefer just rink audio and boards rattling to any of the play by play commentary. In the HD 4K world these guys describing the action is not required. you see if for yourself. If anything its annoying Michaels getting 15 plays a night wrong and Debrusk having his own tongue to trip on.

Really I want these people out of a job. I'm a monster. ;)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This is a great point. I've always wondered why he crosses the blue line, button hooks, and drifts to the boards, looking for a passing outlet. He's a big-bodied 50-goal scorer. Drive to the net and shoot it! Unless he's injured, I really wish that he'd try to expand his repertoire of moves. For me, this is what separates him from someone like MacKinnon, who has more weapons in his arsenal, including the net drive.

I think it’s more mental. I think once he has the puck in the offense zone, he wants to keep the puck. Driving the net, for a shot might result in less o zone.

I am not saying he is right or wrong.

But I think when Foegele and Kane are the wingers, a simple straight forward approach is going to work better. These guys can’t make enough plays. They can’t snipe from distance with any consistency.

Little bit of stubborness in their offensive game.

Reactions: Duke74

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Solid game from EDM. Can't complain about the effort given. They gave it their all. My takeaways are they deserved a heck of a lot better and in the end Skinner while he wasn't bad by any means, was not good enough in the end. He failed to make those key saves you need. And it's not like he stood on his head. I think you could count every high danger shot Vegas had on one finger. EDM for large stretches dominated. But now I'm sitting back and I'm weary of Skinner. Can be be the guy to make those saves? Guess we will see. The other side is EDM should have scored at least a few more and should have probably still won if they could have capitalized on all their chances. 2 wide open nets and 2 posts not to mention Hill played lights out.
It was two really good teams playing hockey. I'm upset that the streak is over, but can't fault the team for the way they played.

Skinner let in 2 goals and had a .920, that's another great game from him.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
AS was already mentioned part of the problem is who the linemates are.

In the scheme of things lets remember that for months we had the top line loaded up with McD, Nuge, Hyman. This left Drai holding mail with whoever was left and with even Mcleod and Foegele being on that rotation a considerable time. Kane is not a premium puck possession guy or passer. He's not ideal with Drai unless an effective third is around. I like the idea of Kane and Drai together if Kane was being better with the puck. He isn't and Kanes play has regressed considerably after what I thought was a solid start. Foegele really isnt a topsix albeit he can do it for awhile and has played well this season. But he typically can only do that for stints and then falls off.

Drai on the whole this season is again holding up a fair bit and he's mostly been the odd guy out having to work with the other players. Man he's even had Connor Brown at times.

Its unfortunate in the whole time that Drai has been here the Oilers haven't found a really matching 2nd for him. Closest we have is Nuge. Drai works best with a speed guy and a cycle guy. Imagine if we had a guy that could do both. We're trying to get Foegele to do things that are above his punching weight and although I really like McLeod he can't be in topsix too long either. Maybe Holloway down the road.
Isn't this basically Hyman?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sometimes I can't help but wonder how much love a guy like Draisaitl would get if he was named Len Draper and was born in Sudbury. 😂

Basically 4 of the 6 top six top six guys had relatively quiet games both defensively and offensively, where they pretty much did nothing and barely pissed a drop... Yet a guy that created at both ends is getting a ton of vitriol. It's... Interesting.

Particularly when that guy is also one of the league and world's most premier players.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Sometimes I can't help but wonder how much love a guy like Draisaitl would get if he was named Len Draper and was born in Sudbury. 😂

Basically 4 of the 6 top six top six guys had relatively quiet games both defensively and offensively, where they pretty much did nothing and barely pissed a drop... Yet a guy that created at both ends is getting a ton of vitriol. It's... Interesting.

Particularly when that guy is also one of the league and world's most premier players.
Leon is pretty frustrating this year. I swear in half of the games he looks like he skates in quicksand, etc. I wish he had 80% of McDavids motor.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
A system does not need to be overly complex to be effective. Vegas Golden Showers aren't playing some crazy, exotic, reinvent the wheel system (the "swarm", anyone?).
They know their responsibilities and know the appropriate flexes, switches, etc. and they execute it very well. It's not complex but it's extremely effective. That's what Struddy is saying.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Leon is pretty frustrating this year. I swear in half of the games he looks like he skates in quicksand, etc. I wish he had 80% of McDavids motor.
While somehow having more goals than McD and Drai playing with linemates that are not close to being same quality. A lot of the McD skating this season has been ineffectual. The Knights last night were basically watching McD skate peripheral laps with the puck.

This doesn't get said much but the McD drop off this season has been more severe and striking than the Drai dropoff, and McD is always getting the top linemates. just saying. With Connor its harder to understand fallback because he's the greatest player on Earth.

But meanwhile Nuge goal production has dropped right off the planet and not a peep about it. He's got his popgun out again this season.

Kane has scored one goal all year and its of course now Drais problem to start him up. Drai always seems tasked with this sort of thing.

Ryan McLeod has 3 less goals than Ryan Nugent Hopkins and he plays 80% of his time in bottomsix. Theres quite a bit of focus on other players fallbacks that can be looked at as well.

its actually amazing we had the Win string we did as several of our top forwards are not pissing a drop.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad