Post-Game Talk: All Good Things…

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
JFC. Do I have to type the same damn explanation to each one of you?

That wasn't a normal regular season game. Vegas didn't want to be the team the Oilers tied a record against, Vegas played way harder then the normally would've, McDavid said it was like a playoff game. The Oilers probably wanted that one as well, hanging a record on Vegas would've been satisfying, but they didn't. It showed me enough to know that Vegas will do more to win a game of that magnitude.

The bolded is my point, its not just one game, and I agree, we dominate at times and it gives everyone a sense that we are the better team. We just don't get results against Vegas.
And the oilers still played a very good game and had a chance to win.

They didn’t lay a dud like you claimed

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
4) This is rich. Nurse handles 20 forechecks perfectly and makes a mistake on one and yes, I'm pointing it out. Skinner handles 22 shots and makes a mistake on one and you want him tarred and feathered. This is exactly why goalies go crazy. F yby the<-- that'sou ;) a joke way. For the record I pointed out 4 mistakes on that play (2 from Nurse and 2 from Ceci) that I consider to be worse than Skinner getting sniped by a good shot... why? Because they were all more preventable. They were mental/tactical errors, not physical limitations.
Your goalie bias is showing. haha, its like a union shop. heh. kidding.

jk aside its not the same losing a puck battle on the boards then it is giving up a goal. Even Pronger lost the occasional battle. With D facing a tough forecheck you can't win em all. If you're even winning 2/3 battles and getting pucks out efficiently its doing a job. Whereas on average goalies make 9/10 stops. Different ratios altogether.

The goalies sole job is to stop pucks and be the last line of defense when opponents do get a chance. Whether one wants to call it 5 Vegas chances or 8, 4 of them got by Skinner. 2GA and two posts that had room. Thats on 8 legitimate chances even going on that stat. 10 of his stops were routine. 2 from outside the zone. Some shots from point, some muffs from range.
'
The Oilers D have done an impeccable job not losing pucks and the forwards a great job coming back for support. Fact of the matter is the Oilers have been airtight in front of Skinner for most of the Knob time frame. Skinner gets a lot of credit but outside of a couple games the work wasn't severe.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Everybody hates Ceci. Meanwhile Ekholm getting a free pass from the board for what was a pretty poor game by his standards. Failed to mark his man on the first goal and got out skated several times on the outside. Poor pass selection as well. I’d give him a 3/10 for his game tonight.
One plays 98% of the time as our best dman

The other plays 99.9% of the time not as our best dman.

It’s very simple.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He said "until the Oilers beat Vegas in the playoffs I'm right". Well let's wait until the playoffs then? What's there to talk about if nothing can be said in the meantime to counter it? This game was far from a carbon copy of the playoffs in my opinion.

And regarding Brown I'm stating facts. He is a league-minimum player in 2023-24 and that is the only thing that is relevant in terms of roster decisions for this season.

I am bewildered that an intelligent poster like yourself is so determined not to understand this.
In summation the poster was talking about both the game that was just played, and how we've fared in the playoffs. That viewpoint was carelessy worded by the poster, no biggy. For instance it would be completely fair to posit the Oilers have trouble against Vegas in important games. Its cutting straws.

As for Brown my reply was clear. We're paying 4M capspace for Connor useless Brown. Period. no matter attempts to obfuscate that basic reality. Both statements that the Oilers are paying Connor Brown around league minimum this year and that we're paying Connor Brown 4M in capspace in total for one season of *work* are true. How much clearer do I have to make it? ;)

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
JFC. Do I have to type the same damn explanation to each one of you?

That wasn't a normal regular season game. Vegas didn't want to be the team the Oilers tied a record against, Vegas played way harder then the normally would've, McDavid said it was like a playoff game. The Oilers probably wanted that one as well, hanging a record on Vegas would've been satisfying, but they didn't. It showed me enough to know that Vegas will do more to win a game of that magnitude.

The bolded is my point, its not just one game, and I agree, we dominate at times and it gives everyone a sense that we are the better team. We just don't get results against Vegas.
It is possible to overstate the importance of a game.
The win streak record really is a novelty more than anything so I dont think that played into things very much.
What I do think played into this game is that both these teams know that there is history and that this is most likely an upcoming playoff matchup.
Its very likely the Oilers will have to beat Vegas to continue on....and vice versa.

So for me the outcome of that game at this point in time is valuable regardless of who wins.
IMO thats true because this game is nothing more than information on what needs to be improved before the real games start.
Now its entirely possible that these teams are so close that there is almost a 50/50 chance of either team winning. I think thats likely the case.
The part that concerns me the most is that with Eichel and Theodore out Vegas was still able to produce a win.
So how do the Oilers react moving forward? You break down the game film and isolate why the breakdowns happened. Was/is this a player issue or was it simply an execution issue.
If it was a player issue then its likely a pattern and you need to address that by upgrading the player. If its an execution issue then you refine the systems play.

So it would be a mistake to overreact on the outcome of this specific game IMO.
Luckily Knoblauch is not probe to overreacting.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Why isn't there a game tonight...

5 games behind most of the NHL and now they're going to make it up all at once these next couple months.

Been complaining about the schedule all year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Vegas brought their best game and we still controlled the play for long stretches and looked like the better team. Hill is a good goalie and had a very good game and all that was barely enough to squeak by us. He’s not putting up a .962 night after night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Vegas brought their best game and we still controlled the play for long stretches and looked like the better team. Hill is a good goalie and had a very good game and all that was barely enough to squeak by us. He’s not putting up a .962 night after night.
Vegas were without Eichel, Theodore, and others so it certainly wasnt their best possible game. The Oilers were playing at their best, and with zero injuries. The Oilers were missing nobody. Chances are we don't get as favorable circumstance as we have been in that regard. Who knows if Knights even land somebody else at TDL. The Oilers wanted the game, played their hardest and played near perfect defensively. Still Vegas got enough.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Vegas were without Eichel, Theodore, and others so it certainly wasnt their best possible game. The Oilers were playing at their best, and with zero injuries. The Oilers were missing nobody. Chances are we don't get as favorable circumstance as we have been in that regard. Who knows if Knights even land somebody else at TDL. The Oilers wanted the game, played their hardest and played near perfect defensively. Still Vegas got enough.
True about Eichel and Theodore but they had their full lineup in the playoffs last year and that was a close series. Oilers are much better defensively now then they were then, and with seemingly a more competent coaching staff.

The difference last night was a Leon miss on a chance he buries almost every time and Hill having himself a game, he’s not putting up a .962 every night.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Too many people talking like Vegas is a given in the playoffs. They are only five points behind Vancouver.

It could be Vancouver Edmonton first round too

Or we go on another massive heater and grab first.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

jk aside its not the same losing a puck battle on the boards then it is giving up a goal. Even Pronger lost the occasional battle. With D facing a tough forecheck you can't win em all. If you're even winning 2/3 battles and getting pucks out efficiently its doing a job. Whereas on average goalies make 9/10 stops. Different ratios altogether.

The goalies sole job is to stop pucks and be the last line of defense when opponents do get a chance. Whether one wants to call it 5 Vegas chances or 8, 4 of them got by Skinner. 2GA and two posts that had room. Thats on 8 legitimate chances even going on that stat. 10 of his stops were routine. 2 from outside the zone. Some shots from point, some muffs from range.
'
The Oilers D have done an impeccable job not losing pucks and the forwards a great job coming back for support. Fact of the matter is the Oilers have been airtight in front of Skinner for most of the Knob time frame. Skinner gets a lot of credit but outside of a couple games the work wasn't severe.
If we’re counting posts.

Hill wasn’t too good either then I guess

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True about Eichel and Theodore but they had their full lineup in the playoffs last year and that was a close series. Oilers are much better defensively now then they were then, and with seemingly a more competent coaching staff.

The difference last night was a Leon miss on a chance he buries almost every time and Hill having himself a game, he’s not putting up a .962 every night.
Leon doesn't bury those even a 1/4 of the time now. Hill has this game any time he plays us.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
In summation the poster was talking about both the game that was just played, and how we've fared in the playoffs. That viewpoint was carelessy worded by the poster, no biggy. For instance it would be completely fair to posit the Oilers have trouble against Vegas in important games. Its cutting straws.

As for Brown my reply was clear. We're paying 4M capspace for Connor useless Brown. Period. no matter attempts to obfuscate that basic reality. Both statements that the Oilers are paying Connor Brown around league minimum this year and that we're paying Connor Brown 4M in capspace in total for one season of *work* are true. How much clearer do I have to make it? ;)
That doesn't explain why you keep bringing it up to me?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just a heads up:

I’m not allowed to post a GDT after a loss and @5 Mins 4 Ftg is in Antarctica and the wifi sucks there so someone will need to step up and make a GDT for tomorrows game.

(It’s not that difficult lol)

Didn’t get quite that far south but I did see Happy Feet!

IMG_1149.jpeg

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

'

It's definitely a union. That's true mostly because players, coaches and especially fans have a hard time distinguishing good goaltending from bad... even when it is explained to them in detail. ;) So we have to stick together... to the point that it isn't uncommon to have a beer with an opposing goalie and discuss the goals.

Having said that I was up in arms anti-Skinner prior to the streak, and I'm still not confident that he can be the guy. So I'm not here defending him because I always will or always do.

But I'm sorry Drivesaitl, but your just wrong on this. I've played on good teams and I've played on bad teams. The high functioning teams would never/could never have more than one or two guys on them with attitudes like what you wrote above... and unless guys with those attitudes are super high-end irreplaceable (in which case you tolerate them and mold them into the culture), you move on from them. It's not about stats or reps or whatever. You win and lose as a team and accountability is either SHARED or discussed openly based on the merits of the play. "I lost my guy because..." or "we mixed our coverage up because" or "I didn't see that puck up because", or "that one's completely on me"... that's how you build accountability and that's how teams start to work together and cover for each other because the implicit understanding is: i) nobody is perfect, so we cover for each other ii) we all bring different skillsets and different weaknesses to the table, and IMO most important iii) we never criticize each others physical limitations (like not being faster than pucks, or getting beat wide by a speedster), but we hold each other accountable for our concentration and mental games (which includes being in position, doing your best to work around a screen, or having the right gap when you know you've got a speedster on your hands).

And when you do that winning 2/3 battles or stopping 9/10 pucks is completely irrelevant... nobody on the ice needs stats to know how we are doing... you look at the scoreboard... every play is judged on its own and everyone takes their share of accountability for the outcome, good or bad.

Reactions: Kinibo

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Because they lost, had they actually won that game, one that I stated was the most important game of the regular season then I'd have a different opinion, it would've instilled confidence that they had changed their play style to compete with a Vegas team that wanted to bury them. Unfortunately there won't be another game of that magnitude till the playoffs.

^^^ Losing-hockey attitude right here.

If our Oilers came out of this game with any less "confidence" in their game then what they went into it with, they are losers, plain and simple.

I don't think these Oilers are losers. I'm certain they came out of that game mostly happy with the way they played, openly discussing areas to tweak for improvement and super angry with the results of the game... and they can't wait for the rematch.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
^^^ Losing-hockey attitude right here.

If our Oilers came out of this game with any less "confidence" in their game then what they went into it with, they are losers, plain and simple.

I don't think these Oilers are losers. I'm certain they came out of that game mostly happy with the way they played, openly discussing areas to tweak for improvement and super angry with the results of the game... and they can't wait for the rematch.
How so?

The confidence I'm talking about is the fans, the fans would've had more confidence in the team moving forward when playing in high value games, especially against a rival had they won.

I agree the team shouldn't lose confidence, but I don't think they should be happy how they played, how they played resulted in a loss. Again, we get the appearance of a dominate performance without the results. I just think they need to approach Vegas differently.

I think they need more point shots because as soon as the team is below the hash marks, Vegas collapses into their own crease, they cause so much congestion.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You’re saying that when Leon Draisaitl has a wide open net from 6-8ft out in his favourite place on the ice to shoot the puck from that he scores less then 25% of the time?
Oddly he's missed tons of those this season and his spot isn't 6-8 ft out, its typically been further than that. He isn't open if he's that close to net. This season there has been decline in Leon's finishing. Its often the first thing to go with a player and Leon is a full body shooter. Any injury, anything hampering and it sets off his whole shooting form. He's not the machine he once was from the spot. He pots a 1/4 of those now. Half of them he doesn't hit the net. Have you been watching all the games?

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74 and K1984

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Never seen a poster count posts as goals against on a goalie.

The Flames tried to tell themselves that posts hit count as goals for last year, but that's the closest example I can think of.

Oddly he's missed tons of those this season and his spot isn't 6-8 ft out, its typically been further than that. He isn't open if he's that close to net. This season there has been decline in Leon's finishing. Its often the first thing to go with a player and Leon is a full body shooter. Any injury, anything hampering and it sets off his whole shooting form. He's not the machine he once was from the spot. He pots a 1/4 of those now. Half of them he doesn't hit the net. Have you been watching all the games?

A good way to describe Leon's game this season is he's about half a step off in almost everything across the board. Even the things that used to be automatic.

Unless he's still fighting off injury, I just chalk it up to things not going right for him this year. The anti-canucks where he just can't seem to find his normal groove due to a combination of building frustration and bad luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad