All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The rest of the world has caught up to the US. They don’t seem to have answers for the big countries ready to take women’s soccer seriously.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The game last night felt a lot like the Portugal game at the World Cup. Just didn't have any answer to Mexico's press and spirit.

At this point Dahlkemper and Sauerbrunn are done with the National Team. Just a horror show between those 2. It's also crazy to me that 3/4s of your backline this game started in a world cup final almost 5 years ago. Absolutely nuts that Girma isn't starting every game, I don't want to hear any of this rotation nonsense.

Emma Hayes has her work cut out for her

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
European countries used their existing pro structure on women's soccer and it paid off. The USA have... the NCAA and a meh league?
I was under the impression some years ago that it was the top women's league in the world because they did try to pay, but had trouble keeping teams on the field, as other leagues have gotten stronger, plus the NCAA they gave you education and all that. Couldn't tell you how they're all functioning now, though. The women's league here seems to be on much better footing.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I was under the impression some years ago that it was the top women's league in the world because they did try to pay, but had trouble keeping teams on the field, as other leagues have gotten stronger, plus the NCAA they gave you education and all that. Couldn't tell you how they're all functioning now, though. The women's league here seems to be on much better footing.
Thing is, in Europe, pretty much all the top clubs have a womens side.

When you have the Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG infrastructure around you, you are going to yield MUCH better results than the... NWSL. Easier to market to an existing fan base.

Heck, it is easier to watch womens champions league in North America than it is to find NWSL games.

Reactions: Jussi

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

When you have the Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG infrastructure around you, you are going to yield MUCH better results than the... NWSL.
it didn't seem they were using that advantage, though, some of them were barely pro-level. That's not the case anymore, they're better utilizing their resources.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
it didn't seem they were using that advantage, though, some of them were barely pro-level. That's not the case anymore, they're better utilizing their resources.
It changed a lot in the last 10 years, yes.

They are very smart to be using that advantage. MLS should think about doing the same. It would be much more efficient. They already have the academy structure in place, just like Europe has. The brands are not as solid, of course.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
3-0 USA over colombia in the W Gold Cup quarterfinal.

50th min.

The bar was pretty low after the Mexico game, but this was significantly better game. Colombians looked good, but their theatrics in the first half were annoying. Nighswonger is the real deal.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Feeling a mix of emotions going into this next game with US. On one hand, you guys looked shaky in the Mexico game, on the other hand, Canada still struggles to score consistently and we also looked shaky last game.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

When you have the Arsenal, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG infrastructure around you, you are going to yield MUCH better results than the... NWSL. Easier to market to an existing fan base.

Heck, it is easier to watch womens champions league in North America than it is to find NWSL games.
I’ve legitimately accidentally turned on women’s games before because of this. “Weird I didn’t know Arsenal were playing Liverpool this weekend” so I turn it on and it’s the women’s game.

I have absolutely no idea where I’d find NWSL games.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I’ve legitimately accidentally turned on women’s games before because of this. “Weird I didn’t know Arsenal were playing Liverpool this weekend” so I turn it on and it’s the women’s game.

I have absolutely no idea where I’d find NWSL games.
Paramount+...though I couldn't tell you when the season is. I want to say late Spring to early Fall, but... 🤷‍♂️

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Paramount+...though I couldn't tell you when the season is. I want to say late Spring to early Fall, but... 🤷‍♂️

Well this season its going to be more complicated.

Amazon will show regular season matchups on Friday night, Scripps’ Ion network will host double-headers on free-to-air (FTA) television, while CBS will broadcast matches across its flagship network, its CBS Sports Network pay-TV channel, and the Paramount+ streaming service. Finally, ESPN will air a package of matches across ABC, ESPN and ESPN+.

Playoff matches will be split between ABC, CBS and ESPN, with CBS continuing as the exclusive broadcaster of the NWSL’s championship game. Ion will also host the NWSL draft. All broadcasters have committed to cross-promoting each other’s fixtures in a bid to drive awareness.

So its basically split across 4 networks which is just going to confuse fans even more.

Season starts in about 2 weeks

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

f***ing hilarious if true

said to my friend when the news first dropped that I was withholding judgement until more details because cops love to turn themselves into victims

aaaaaaaand here we go

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad