All Encompassing Rebuild/Tanking Thread/Tankers GDT #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, he is better than the Sams, and equal to mac. That one would be close. Way ahead of Yaks draft.

I would take him after Ekblad. Again, hindsite is hard to ignore because I was firmly in the bennett camp last year, but watching what Ekblad has done this season is incredible. When is the last time a rookie, 18 year old dman was a top pairing and deservedly so? Mackinnon was consensus in my mind and I don't think Ekblad would go ahead of him either.

Leafspoison*

I would take him after Ekblad. Again, hindsite is hard to ignore because I was firmly in the bennett camp last year, but watching what Ekblad has done this season is incredible. When is the last time a rookie, 18 year old dman was a top pairing and deservedly so? Mackinnon was consensus in my mind and I don't think Ekblad would go ahead of him either.

Ekblad is amazing. But IMHO, Hanny will be better. Has an NHL ready game right now according to 5 scouts.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't know why people say the Leafs don't have centre depth...

McDavid
Kadri
Nylander
Santorelli
Bozak
Winnik
Holland

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Ekblad is amazing. But IMHO, Hanny will be better. Has an NHL ready game right now according to 5 scouts.

He probably could step in next season and do fine. He's a mature dman physically, and has a high IQ so while there'd be bumps int he road, he would make out ok. Not sure we see him in the NHL next season though. I think I read somewhere education was important to him. Could have been Werenski though. I put Hanifin at Seth Jones level of dman with Rielly a tad below those two. I would have taken Jones 2nd after mac

ChillyPalmer

Apr 9, 2012
Antarctica
Bolland was a character guy
Clarkson was brought in for that same thing
Gleason
Robidas

Leafs need talent. Skill over everything.

If they have character, that's just a bonus.

Jes5ant

Mar 5, 2014
We have skill. Plenty of it. But none of the guys with skill can play both ends of the ice. That is the problem. We need players who can play a 200 foot game.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Bolland was a character guy
Clarkson was brought in for that same thing
Gleason
Robidas

Leafs need talent. Skill over everything.

If they have character, that's just a bonus.

Are you saying just trade Polak, or are you suggesting trade everyone, because if it's the latter, it's a mistake. Part of the reason we are here is because we waited too long to have character in the dressing room

ChillyPalmer

Apr 9, 2012
Antarctica
We have skill. Plenty of it. But none of the guys with skill can play both ends of the ice. That is the problem. We need players who can play a 200 foot game.

We don't have enough talent. Plain and simple. Especially at the two most important positions. D and C.

Are you saying just trade Polak, or are you suggesting trade everyone, because if it's the latter, it's a mistake. Part of the reason we are here is because we waited too long to have character in the dressing room

That's why they brought in Clarkson, that's why they traded for Bolland, that's why they brought in Robidas and Gleason.

They brought in Polak, and he hasn't done a damn thing leadership wise, seeing as how this team is worse.

Blaming character and leadership for poor performance, is the laziest from of analysis. If moving Polak can bring in more talent, or picks which can be used to draft talent, then they should do it.

Yzerman was a coach killer and selfish dick for the earlier part of his career.

Until he was surrounded by one of the most talented teams in recent memory, and became one of the greatest winners in NHL history.

Talent should be first, second, and third on the Leafs priority list.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Wed
no tank games

Thu
Leafs @ Isles
ducks @ Canes
Oilers @ Habs
Pens @ Sens

Fri
Phi @ Clb
NJ @ Chi
SJ @ Ari

Sat
Edm @ Ott
Clb @ NYI
Tor @ Habs
Canes @ Min
NJ @ Nash
NYR @ Ari

Sun
Phi @ Buf

I can see everyone gaining 2 pts on us here

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We don't have enough talent. Plain and simple. Especially at the two most important positions. D and C.

That's why they brought in Clarkson, that's why the traded for Bolland, that why they brought in Robidas and Gleason.

They brought in Polak, and he hasn't done a damn thing leadership wise, seeing as how this team is worse.

Blaming character and leadership for poor performance the laziest from of analysis.

Yzerman was a coach killer and selfish dick for the earlier part of his career.

Until he was surrounded by one of the most talented teams in recent memory, and became one of the greatest winners in NHL history.

Talent should be first, second, and third on the Leafs priority list.

Indeed. This team has let talent walk in favour of going after guys with "grit," "character," "heart," and all other buzzwords. Grabovski, MacArthur, Kulemin, Gunnarsson were all sent packing in favour of these types of guys, and the Leafs are worse for it.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Edm is taking whoever is left of McD and Eichel. They are a level above everyone else. After them it's Hanifin then Marner, then have fun. Edmonton needs a top centerman because it's obvious right now they don't have one on the team. Draisatl could be that guy, but Eichel is that guy at 2.

Exactly. McEichel is a lock. They are going top 2 unless they sustain career ending injuries. The only chance the Leafs get any of the two is if they:

a) Win the lottery and draft Mcdavid
b) Somehow catch Edmonton and Buffalo wins the lottery

No other way Leafs, or any team outside the top two even sniff McEichel. Like I've said Edmonton doesn't need to draft Hanifin just because they need defense. You don't pass up on generational talent because of a certain "need" You draft Eichel and then trade any of Eberle, Yakupov, RNH or Draisaitl for a stud in the back end.

Hanifin is probably close to lock for 3rd as well.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
All that matters for this season is that top 3 pick. :( Nothing else is possible right now but that.

3 Carolina 52GP 45Pts
4 Arizona 55GP 47Pts
5 Columbus 52GP 49Pts
6 Toronto 55GP 50Pts

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Those games in hand...

Also, the Polak thing is from the Toronto Sun article which mentioned that the Leafs are actively looking to move Polak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad