All Encompassing Ottawa Senators 2018/2019 Thread

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
A place for our intermediary discussion between games and such.

I'll start: I actually really like the idea of not playing Jaros, Wolanin, and Lajoie. Playing too many rookies on an opening night line-up, and for the first couple weeks in NHL, is recipe for disaster. Emotions running high and if one thing goes wrong everything can come crumbling down and could demoralize the young guns. Harpur and Demelo have experience and can reel their emotions back in, plus I'd rather they crumble early than the younger guys.

Reactions: DrEasy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
A place for our intermediary discussion between games and such.

I'll start: I actually really like the idea of not playing Jaros, Wolanin, and Lajoie. Playing too many rookies on an opening night line-up, and for the first couple weeks in NHL, is recipe for disaster. Emotions running high and if one thing goes wrong everything can come crumbling down and could demoralize the young guns. Harpur and Demelo have experience and can reel their emotions back in, plus I'd rather they crumble early than the younger guys.

Sending down Jaros is yet another financial decision in lieu of Harpur's one-way contract. Otherwise, Jaros has out played and out worked Harpur in camp. It's not about competing or player development in Melnyk's rebuild world.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Can't believe we sent our best goaltending prospect to the frikkin' ECHL.

No words.

That was a very normal move.

Mike Smith, Grubauer, Condon, Dubnyk and Quick spent most/all of their first pro seasons in the ECHL. Toronto had Sparks there a few seasons back. Last year, Tyler Parsons [highly regarded Flames prospect] played there.

There's a long list of other goalies that have spent at least some time in that league, too, including Holtby, Neuvirth, Hutton, and Darling, among others.

It'll allow Gustavsson and Hogberg to get their share of games early. Gives Gus ample time to continue to adapt to the North American game while not worrying about losing playing time. No big deal.

Reactions: swiftwin

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
That was a very normal move.

Mike Smith, Grubauer, Condon, Dubnyk and Quick spent most/all of their first pro seasons in the ECHL. Toronto had Sparks there a few seasons back. Last year, Tyler Parsons [highly regarded Flames prospect] played there.

There's a long list of other goalies that have spent at least some time in that league, too, including Holtby, Neuvirth, Hutton, and Darling, among others.

It'll allow Gustavsson and Hogberg to get their share of games early. Gives Gus ample time to continue to adapt to the North American game while not worrying about losing playing time. No big deal.

If we weren't in a so-called rebuild with a so-called youth movement, I'd agree with you. As it stands why not give the best prospect time in the AHL on a decent team?

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
If we weren't in a so-called rebuild with a so-called youth movement, I'd agree with you. As it stands why not give the best prospect time in the AHL on a decent team?

I'd have to imagine he'd get some AHL time at some point this year.

Ottawa views him as a key to their rebuild. They're not throwing him down there because they don't care about him. I'm sure they think this is a good move to start him in the ECHL, and history suggests that plenty of goalies start their pro careers there.

The team isn't going to give up on Hogberg, though. He still has potential and since he came over a year earlier and is 4 years older, it makes sense for him to get the AHL starts while Gus gets to play in the ECHL. Gives them both a chance to play a lot.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Can't believe we sent our best goaltending prospect to the frikkin' ECHL.

No words.

So he can get the most playing time? Isn't that what you want out of your top prospect? Your manufactured outrage is getting pretty old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad