Rumor: All Encompassing Jimmy Vesey Thread. All Rumors/News goes here. Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't understand the "close to home" angle. If he wants to play close to home, just play for Boston and don't make this a saga. It's not like New York to Boston is just a stone's throw, it's not really close. I only understand the "close to home" idea if he's going to be playing for his home team, not playing for a team close to his home team.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Never really expected him to go to Toronto since it's a different country, but that's a bit of an odd reason. It's a 1:05 flight from NYC to Boston and 1:35 from Toronto. Does he want to drive or take the train?

Haha watch Porter Airlines close the deal for TML....take a tour of Billy Bishop and he's sold

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Yep, they just call it "merit aid", but on the down side, there's no Red Shirting if you get hurt. There's no guarantee of keeping that money if you get hurt (happened to my son in lax, career ending injury end of sophomore season, following school year his aid went from a 95% package to 65%). Daughter had to give up her D2 softball money in order to also continue playing hockey because they joined a D3 conference. Good times.

I don't think any of the Ivy schools give merit aid or athletic aid. Harvard doesn't for sure. What they do have are very generous financial need based packages. ie. It's free if your combined household income is under 75k/year, slowly rising until you pay full ticket at about 300k/year.

Group Chat Legend*

Is NJ included in the '3 NY teams'?

Sounds weird to ask I know but they get clumped in there a lot

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
ill be the minority (and yes i get that im in this thread since i dont care) but this is a little much dont you think? vesey is acting like he is a superstar already and that rubs people the wrong way imo. i get that he has the right to choose since its in the cba but the fact that he doesnt have it decided by now and is just meeting teams makes it seem like he wants all the attention and publicity.

This is a totally ridiculous sentiment when this is the first day he's been able to talk to any team other than Buffalo.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Or is it just what you don't want to hear?

I think you are mad that your team sounds like its out of the running :(.

Or, it just doesn't matter what a random radio host says, because they aren't credible?

If a Toronto radio host tweeted that he thinks the Leafs are the front runners, and I posted that there, would you believe it?

I think not.

It's all pure speculation with no substance.

McKenzie or Friedman say the Leafs are out? Fine, great. I never actually expected him to sign here anyway.

Some random radio host with no connections whatsoever? Laughable.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm a little curious about this whole courting process. With a cap on his contract possibilities, I don't see much for hI'm to think about. Anything a team tells him about line ups or 2nd contracts are just empty promises. They don't matter when he ultimately needs to prove his value anyway. Seems melodramatic.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Or, it just doesn't matter what a random radio host says, because they aren't credible?

If a Toronto radio host tweeted that he thinks the Leafs are the front runners, and I posted that there, would you believe it?

I think not.

It's all pure speculation with no substance.

McKenzie or Friedman say the Leafs are out? Fine, great. I never actually expected him to sign here anyway.

Some random radio host with no connections whatsoever? Laughable.

That is not the same thing as a Boston area ESPN guy saying that it is down to the 3 NY teams. He isn't pimping Boston. But hey man. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'm a little curious about this whole courting process. With a cap on his contract possibilities, I don't see much for hI'm to think about. Anything a team tells him about line ups or 2nd contracts are just empty promises. They don't matter when he ultimately needs to prove his value anyway. Seems melodramatic.

He wants to see how much "under the table" money the teams are offering.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why do I care about what a radio host says?

He literally is nothing on the NHL scene.

I figured I'd look Murphy up to see what his background was as I wasn't familiar. When he was hired by ESPN back a number of years ago, here's what it said:

Murphy has been covering the Bruins and the National Hockey League for the last eight seasons, at a variety of difference outlets, including NESN.com, NHL.com, his own blog Drop Puck Murphy, the Boston Metro, and Insidehockey.com.

Murphy also hosts the Inside Hockey Radio Show on on “NHL Home Ice” XM 204 and Sirius 208 on Saturdays from 2-4 p.m. He has also been a hockey analyst on NESN Sportsdesk.

It doesn't sound like he's a nobody or nothing on the NHL scene. Yeah, it doesn't mean his tweet was right, holds any more weight than any others, or has any inside information, because most media is probably speculating right now. But classifying him as a nobody or a radio reporter who is nothing on the NHL scene doesn't seem accurate either, particularly since he's Boston focused and that's where Vesey is from.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Again,

Let me know when McKenzie or Friedman say any team is in or out.

Anything else is just speculation for the hits.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah, the Hawks are definitely in it.

It seems like the biggest thing going against the Hawks right now is the distance from Boston as well as the issue of the 2nd contract and beyond. He may produce big time playing along the talent they have there and cash out on the 2nd contract but there's a solid chance it won't be with Chicago. Question has to be asked from his perspective is it worth it after all of this to pick your location and potentially only play there for 2 seasons.

But he has no assurances he wont be traded elsewhere either

I mean he could sign with B's and a year from now a change in management occurs or he struggles and they send him packing in a deal

So to me to claim that is big negative for Hawks is a bit of a stretch. + If Vesey does well the Hawks will look to fit him longterm if possible

At end of day I expect he will end up in Boston and this will be a waste of everyone's time

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That is not the same thing as a Boston area ESPN guy saying that it is down to the 3 NY teams. He isn't pimping Boston. But hey man. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Just so you know, we ran Murphy off our boards years ago for spitting out false rumors and shaky at best inside info. He's a snake oil salesman and we don't trust him at all.

That's not to say he doesn't have connections. He does. More times than not, he's been proven to run his mouth without any substance and is missing journalistic integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad