Injury Report: All-encompassing injury thread (Zetterberg Update Post #400)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I figured I'd start this thread so we can post updates on the ridiculous amount of injuries in 1 thread instead of 10. Maybe a mod can sticky this?

Latest from Khan:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...74.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Highlights are:

- Jurco out minimum 10-14 days with rib injury, Wings are waiting for further test results.

- Helm not skating yet, but is using exercise bike.

- Weiss went to visit the doctor who did his hernia surgery. He's also not skating yet. Wings are hoping for some good news in 7-10 days.

- Gustavsson has practiced and expects to be back soon.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If we started this thread at the beginning of the season, it would likely be "All-encompassing injury thread part VI".

I don't even know what to say. I figured around the new year that there were no way the injuries would be as bad the 2nd half of the season. Boy was I wrong.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
There's no point in even caring about Weiss's return. He's still injured. Then he has to start skating. Then he has to start practicing. Then he needs full-contact practice. Then he needs games. Then the rust needs to wear off. Then he needs to actually play like the top 6 forward he was signed to be, not the 4th liner he was playing like.

In short, even if he does come back, he'll barely be an upgrade.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What we have today is kinda what I expect us to have the rest of the season. New trainers please.

wtcwce

Mar 31, 2006
Hopefully this Stephen Weiss signing doesn't turn into another Uwe Krupp...

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
As sad as it sounds, I had a bad feeling about him from pre-season game 1.

He just seemed so unbelievably lost out there on the ice.

sehouse

Dec 12, 2013
A2 and Sanford, ME
I'm not going to pass judgement on Weiss yet. We don't know how long he was skating with a sports hernia. All we knew was that he was having groin problems from the outset of the season. And scar tissue problems are always a possibility with such a tender area.

If he were completely healthy during the beginning of the year, and the sports hernia was something that just came out of nowhere, I would be more likely to trash him, but I feel that it is unfair to do so at this point in time.

Is it disappointing that he hasn't lived up to the contract so far? Sure. But to want to run him out of town without a truly accurate examination of his play while completely healthy is just going overboard.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Why does it feel like our forwards have been targeted this year? I wouldn't mind debuting Mitch Callahan next time we face Columbus, and introduce him to Blake Comeau's face.

Sounds good to me.

I'm more upset after reading Jurco's rib was broken. Damn that was such a flagrant crosschecking I agree now with others' posts, the NHL should review plays like that after the fact. Comeau is a ****er.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Why does it feel like our forwards have been targeted this year? I wouldn't mind debuting Mitch Callahan next time we face Columbus, and introduce him to Blake Comeau's face.

Callahan would get wrecked. He found that out last year when he tried to play "tough guy" in the ahl. The most you could hope for him would be to be a agitating presence that would draw a penalty. But we really don't need another fake tough gator getting his ass kicked every time he tries to man up for the team and energizing the other team.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Callahan would get wrecked. He found that out last year when he tried to play "tough guy" in the ahl. The most you could hope for him would be to be a agitating presence that would draw a penalty. But we really don't need another fake tough gator getting his ass kicked every time he tries to man up for the team and energizing the other team.

No reason he can't be another Kirk Maltby.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

I don't really see how Callahan would deter anyone. He's not a fighter at the professional level, he's not big, and he doesn't have a reputation. Sure, he'd be nice to have for a variety of reasons, but I don't think having Callahan around - or anyone else really - is going to deter Comeau from cross-checking Jurco.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The only guy on the Wings who has good size and fighting ability is Ericsson. Unfortunately he rarely fights. It'd be nice if he stepped up every once in a while when somebody (like Neil and Comeau) takes a run at his teammates.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Weiss story is all about a huge joke!

I hope that joke is done when he finally gets healthy.

Comeau was a real rat last game. I don't know how he got away with that cross check on Jurco. Jared Cowen concussed Datsyuk and Helm this year with illegal plays. It doesn't help us but at least Comeau got suspended for one of his.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The only guy on the Wings who has good size and fighting ability is Ericsson. Unfortunately he rarely fights. It'd be nice if he stepped up every once in a while when somebody (like Neil and Comeau) takes a run at his teammates.

Our defense is bad enough atm with all our centers out. We do not need one of only three good defenders going off for 5-10 minutes.

In all honesty the only guy (not that he is a tough guy) I could live with going off the ice for defending a teammate would be smith. He isn't a great fighter but he can hold his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad