Player Discussion All-encompassing goaltending megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueshirtforlife*

Dec 2, 2016
I see 2 outcomes. With the first being more likely and the second being more appealing.

1. Lundqvist gets pissed off/ embarrassed and goes on a tear regaining elite form. This is the most likely and is a WIN.

2. Lundqvist gets pissed/off embarrassed and demands a trade bringing back incredible young and talented assets. Also a WIN.

Remember you don't need "elite" goaltending to win anymore.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
There's nothing "appealing" to me about Lundqvist not finishing his career as a NYR. But that might just be me.

If for some reason Hank goes the Ray Bourque route i would be absolutely devastated.

I want him to win it with the Rangers.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
I see 2 outcomes. With the first being more likely and the second being more appealing.

1. Lundqvist gets pissed off/ embarrassed and goes on a tear regaining elite form. This is the most likely and is a WIN.

2. Lundqvist gets pissed/off embarrassed and demands a trade bringing back incredible young and talented assets. Also a WIN.

And also "elite" is a much smaller difference amongst goaltenders than skaters in the NHL.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
3AfuWvB.jpg

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

#1 is way more appealing than #2.

Also, why are teams going to trade for an "elite" goaltender if you don't need them to win anymore?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My concern is how long does it take for this to be detrimental to Lundqvist, a goaltender used to playing 60+ games, because he is not game ready.

Once it is detrimental to Lundqvist, it becomes detrimental to the team long term.

Who cares? Something detrimental is already going on with Lundqvist as hes playing worse than the very high bar he's set for himself. He's still the man, but I have zero problem with a guy who is playing really well getting a few games in December.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

I'll go with door #3, Lundqvist remains a professional about the whole situation, continues to work out the warts with his current game, and supports his backup/coach in the decision to play the hot hand right now.

#2 is wishful thinking, by the way. I can't see many teams willing to dole out a treasure trove of assets for a 34 year old goalie with an 8.5M yearly price tag.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I don't know what NHL you've been following if you truly believe Hank is going to net us a ransom.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
My concern is how long does it take for this to be detrimental to Lundqvist, a goaltender used to playing 60+ games, because he is not game ready.

Once it is detrimental to Lundqvist, it becomes detrimental to the team long term.

Even if Lundqvist doesn't play for a week after tonight (he will), that's still almost 4 months before the playoffs start. There's no reason for this to be detrimental to the team long term. If he can't get "game ready" in that time we have much bigger problems and they have nothing to do with him taking a week or two off in December.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
call me cray cray but im not missing henrik lundqvist

his mediocre play of late- and the ugly awful goals hes let in, and raanta looking like hes in total control, has me hoping for more anti and less hanky right about now.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I think you have to go with Hank against Dallas, but if he lets in a questionable one early this place will be....interesting...

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Raanta looked terrific tonight. But i think its time to go back to Henrik.

Totally agree. I had thought that unless Anti pitched another shutout, even had he won a 2-1 type of game, it was time for Hank to get his net back. You have to think Hank and Benny watched plenty of tape over past week and that during practice, they've worked on technical stuff and that Hank is raring to go. Considering what a pro he is and how much pride he has, one has to think Hank is pissed off and ready to show that his inconsistancy is just a fluke thing and he's ready to get back to normal. We at least have to believe this seeing if history is our judge, there is nothing to show that Hank won't come back as a man possessed.

If you think about it tonight's result, the whole Raanta starting and Hank sitting for a week couldn't have worked out any better other than the fact we lost tonight.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
Hi guys just a friendly NHL fan here dropping by.

I thought you might be interested in this interview of the King it was originally in aftonbladet but for what ever reason I can't get the link working so I'll just roughly translate it from finnish iltalehti.

(link to iltalehti article in finnish http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/201612132200040238_nh.shtml )

Aftonbladet asked Hanks thoughts of this new and strange situation. And has he been well at all.

- Of course I have thought about (this) a lot during these last days. I'm very competitive and want to play there is no arguing about that. But Antti has played well and I understand why he gets to start. This is about what is the best for the team.

- It would be harder to accept if Antti hadn't been so good and I'd still be benched. For now he has earned the starter position.

- We are a team with one common goal. It's much bigger than what happens to me as an individual during one week.

King Henrik also thinks that media has made a big fuzz about nothing as usual.

- Well that easily happens. At least you guys something to write about and get to ask questions.

sorry for any translation error prob. some swedish fan can get the original aftonbladet story here if interested.

as for Hanks performance to me it seems he hasn't been that well since playoffs injury (the stick to the eye debacle) and am starting to question if he really has some sort of very minor eye injury so he can't follow the puck well? thats just my stupid speculation.

as for Raanta I am happy he gets playing time and performs well. and of course he is a very good goalie was very dominating here in FEL during his championship run. and as for now an excellent backup for you guys.

all in all the Rangers have really performed well and hopefully will get Hank the Cup this season.

rock on and peace out :yo:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm right there with you.

I think I would vomit if I ever saw him play for another NHL team.
This too.

...and the following is in general...

Honestly it's my strong opinion that any opinions bashing him are either ignorant or trolling. I can explain why without insulting anyone too. One fellow poster here plays goalie his whole life, tries to explain in detail to correct those who havent played and/or obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Instead of taking what he's trying to say and I dunno...thinking about it, they call him like pompous or whatever and I'm sitting here thinking "but he isn't wrong and I can explain why without conferring with him".

What am I saying here? Usually a goalie's best game is one where he's being shelled and the only one out there. Takes being a goalie to know the difference between that and a classic Brodeur stat perfect 20 save shutout.

There's a difference between a reason and an excuse. Takes a goalie to know difference.

There's a reason goalies of all ages marvel at him or hate him with a passion (jealousy). Has nothing to do with his GQ cover appearance but the appearance of how the stats are put up in spite of certain Reddszival like obstacles.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This too.

Honestly it's my strong opinion that any opinions bashing him are either ignorant or trolling. One fellow poster here plays goalie his whole life, tries to explain in detail to correct those who havent played and/or obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Instead of taking what he's trying to say and I dunno...thinking about it, they call him like pompous or whatever and Im sitting here thinking "but he isn't wrong and I can explain why without conferring with him".

What am I saying here? Usually a goalie's best game is one where he's being shelled and the only one out there. Takes being a goalie to know the difference between that and a classic Brodeur stat perfect 20 save shutout.

There's a difference between a reason and an excuse. Takes a goalie to know difference.

There's a reason goalies of all ages marvel at him or hate him with a passion (jealousy). Has nothing to do with his GQ cover appearance but the appearance of how the stats are put up in spite of certain Reddszival like obstacles.

Yes. And people need to realize that excuses aren't being made. Explanations are.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
This too.

...and the following is in general...

Honestly it's my strong opinion that any opinions bashing him are either ignorant or trolling. I can explain why without insulting anyone too. One fellow poster here plays goalie his whole life, tries to explain in detail to correct those who havent played and/or obviously have no idea what they are talking about. Instead of taking what he's trying to say and I dunno...thinking about it, they call him like pompous or whatever and I'm sitting here thinking "but he isn't wrong and I can explain why without conferring with him".

Couldn't of said it better. It's like some of our own fans are waiting for him to fail us. Threads are made as if he's regressing and never coming back. It's bogus he's an exceptional talent and for our own fans to react like this is concerning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad