Player Discussion All-encompassing goaltending megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
im not of the opinion that raanta should keep hank on the bench. its time for a healthy hank to play.

my issue is what happens if henrik continues his average play ?

we"re all hopeful that doesn't happen. but what if it does ?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Fair warning, I don't mind it at all, but people aren't here can get uptight about those kind of questions.

I recommend sticking to the correct thread

Sorry! I wasn't sure where else to ask

It's a really unpredictable situation right now. I think Henrik could get in any one of these upcoming games. You can't just not play the best goalie in the world, even if his backup is red hot right now. The question is if AV keeps playing Raanta until he finally loses, or gets Hank in for a game regardless. With 6 in 10 nights coming up, Hank is going to play. The big question is how the games will be split.

Thanks! :handclap:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Interesting article with some great breakdown of Hanks actual stats through 20 starts so far this season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-henrik-lundqvist-needs-to-start/c-284632140

I disagree with Dan Rosen's contention that Hank should start against the Hawks.

First, he just presumes that a week off is plenty for Hank to get his game together. I don't know that and neither does he. Second, he thinks there is no reason for AV to wait until Raanta has an average start before switching gears. The obvious reason is you don't put a struggling goalie in a situation where anything less than a shutout is worse than the last guy.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You can't take Raanta out of net after 2 consecutive shutouts. Hank will get a game soon, like it's been said by a few people now, the schedule is too condensed for him to not get a start.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
It's a really unpredictable situation right now. I think Henrik could get in any one of these upcoming games. You can't just not play the best goalie in the world, even if his backup is red hot right now. The question is if AV keeps playing Raanta until he finally loses, or gets Hank in for a game regardless. With 6 in 10 nights coming up, Hank is going to play. The big question is how the games will be split.

Did we get Carey Price?

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I disagree with Dan Rosen's contention that Hank should start against the Hawks.

First, he just presumes that a week off is plenty for Hank to get his game together. I don't know that and neither does he. Second, he thinks there is no reason for AV to wait until Raanta has an average start before switching gears. The obvious reason is you don't put a struggling goalie in a situation where anything less of a shutout is worse than the last guy.

Rosen's point (which i agree with) is that sooner rather than later Hank needs to play himself into form and what better time to do that then against Chicago after a week of working on his game with Benny and you get the upside of resting Raanta for a couple of games with his confidence at an all time high, ready to play when called upon later.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rosen's point (which i agree with) is that sooner rather than later Hank needs to play himself into form and what better time to do that then against Chicago after a week of working on his game with Benny and you get the upside of resting Raanta for a couple of games with his confidence at an all time high, ready to play when called upon later.

I don't know, I still think putting a struggling Hank in following Raanta's back-to-back shutouts is borderline reckless. Let's agree to disagree :)

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
You can't take Raanta out of net after 2 consecutive shutouts. Hank will get a game soon, like it's been said by a few people now, the schedule is too condensed for him to not get a start.

That is exactly what you can and should do. Raanta knows that he is the backup and most likely wont be anything else bar some injury to Hank. Hank needs to play for him to get back into form and the fact that Raanta's confidence is all time high is great for when he is called upon to stand in for Hank when Hank needs to rest as the season progresses.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Generally, when people feel compelled to say, "There is no X controversy," there is, in fact, a controversy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That is exactly what you can and should do. Raanta knows that he is the backup and most likely wont be anything else bar some injury to Hank. Hank needs to play for him to get back into form and the fact that Raanta's confidence is all time high is great for when he is called upon to stand in for Hank when Hank needs to rest as the season progresses.

Wait, so we shouldn't play the hot goalie when the standings are extremely close just to send a message to Raanta that he's a backup and will never be anything else more than that? What kind of logic is that?

I'm a huge Hank homer, but Raanta is the right call tomorrow night. Give Hank the Wild game.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I don't know, I still think putting a struggling Hank in following Raanta's back-to-back shutouts is borderline reckless. Let's agree to disagree :)

But what if Raanta for some reason ***** the bed on tuesday? Personally i would want to shelter my backup and try to conserve his confidence and good form by playing him in short spurts. With the crazy schedule before the x-mas break Raanta is bound to get at least 2 more starts and i would want him to display the same form and confidence we have seen from him so far this season.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Wait, so we shouldn't play the hot goalie when the standings are extremely close just to send a message to Raanta that he's a backup and will never be anything else more than that? What kind of logic is that?

I'm a huge Hank homer, but Raanta is the right call tomorrow night. Give Hank the Wild game.

First let me clarify, i meant to say that Raanta will never be anything else for this franchise.

I didn't say anything about the need to send a message. In fact no message needs to be sent. Everyone involved know that Raanta is the backup. My point is that eventually you need to play your #1 and what better time for the backup to sit then when he is all pumped up with confidence after a great stretch of games. You would want him to play lights out the next time he gets a start, don't you?

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
First let me clarify, i meant to say that Raanta will never be anything else for this franchise.

I didn't say anything about messages being sent. In fact no message needs to be sent. Everyone involved know that Raanta is the backup. My point is that eventually you need to play your #1 and what better time for the backup to sit then when he is all pumped up with confidence after a great stretch of games. You would want him to play lights out the next time he gets a start, don't you?

Ok, thank you for clarifying regarding the first part, now I get what you meant.

As to the second part, I guess we're just disagreeing about using Raanta's confidence to your advantage. Do you let him sit and potentially cool off, or do you play him and let Hank fix his issues? Hank is either playing tomorrow or Thursday regardless

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Ok, thank you for clarifying regarding the first part, now I get what you meant.

As to the second part, I guess we're just disagreeing about using Raanta's confidence to your advantage. Do you let him sit and potentially cool off, or do you play him and let Hank fix his issues? Hank is either playing tomorrow or Thursday regardless

Yeah, i get how that might have come of as overly harsh against Raanta :laugh:

But yes, i rather sit Raanta while he is hot and hope that he preserves his great form while we get Hank a run of games starting with Chicago.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Play Raanta while he has the hot hand, and play Lundquist again on the road against a mid-range scoring team like Dallas (Thurs) or Nashville (Sat) and let him get his confidence back.

No point in throwing in Hank at MSG against a fast and high powered Hawks team until we've established where his game is. Unless he stands on his head, it's just inviting a controversy. Hell, even if Hank only lets in 2-3 goals against Chicago, people will inevitably be bringing up Antti's back to back shutouts.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Generally, when people feel compelled to say, "There is no X controversy," there is, in fact, a controversy.

I really don't think there's any controversy. Hank is a better goalie long-term than Raanta. But, something has obviously been wrong with him for vast stretches this season. With Raanta playing so well, it's a perfect opportunity for Hank to work with Allaire on whatever the issue is, and get things right in his head. He's been giving up a ton of early goals this season. That's generally a sign that a goalie isn't ready to play. Hopefully this time off helps him regain his form.

He's still our #1, and realistically nothing that Raanta can do is going to change that anytime soon.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It would be nice if this team played defense in front of Henrik the same way it does in front of Raanta. This isn't a new trend either, they always tighten up in front of the backup for years now.

I mean when Richter went down Glenn Healy was unbeaten for a whole month (January?) so years? Decades lol

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Yeah, i get how that might have come of as overly harsh against Raanta :laugh:

But yes, i rather sit Raanta while he is hot and hope that he preserves his great form while we get Hank a run of games starting with Chicago.

Coaches are forever prematurely ending their back ups hot streaks. Pittsburgh did not and it was ridden til then end.

Again, play Raanta every game until he gets lit on 4+. I don't care if it carries until June. And I'm as Hank fanboii<3 as it gets.

Dan Ellis is one of the worst goalie Florida had and he was on one hell of a hot streak, they stuck a fresh from injury Lu in and it resulted in reverse progress Ellis made the previous few weeks.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
i wonder what happens when hank gets the next start and he either continues his spiral and gives up a softy or misplays the puck and it ends up in the net or just continues to struggle to find his game.

and then the reaction is this. " pretty sure anti raanta doesnt give up that goal" or "pretty sure we dont lose that game with raanta in goal".

and also " its not hanks fault because of this fancy stat or look at is overall career" stuff.

i wonder what happens ?

obviously prefer the defense continues to clamp down and henrik plays up to, or beyond, the level that raanta has showed the last 3 games.

the pressure is squarely on henrik lundqvist to show that he can (still) do what raanta did with the SAME defense.

In fairness, the defense hasn't been the same. Raanta was great against Chicago. Against New Jersey, he faced 18 shots and only had to come up with a few good saves. Same thing against the Jets. Faced 19 shots with limited chances.

How many starts has Lundqvist played with less than 20 shots against and limited chances?

Two of the three games have been extremely easy for Raanta.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Playing against ones former team is almost always a Big thing with and for goalies, always was with me. We are special breed. Insane. It almost always pays off too. You give that little extra and have a lot of knowledge of the team you are facing which is Usually in the keepers favor. Thereafter, ride the hot hand. All year long. Almost always is good when a Challenge comes along. Been through it many Times. Can work favourably for the team too.
I do think Hank has Lost a bit, Saw it last year already. His style "deep in net" needs the fastest reflexes possible. It is an inevitable trap headed towards Demise due to Father Times mercilessly tick tocking Clock. Leads to frustration and then it goes to his head. He needs to tweak his game a bit with Allaire. Saying this for quite a While. I do not think he is done, adjustments can and should be made. I do not see a controversy here, AV is making the right call here - so far - in this instance.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Coaches are forever prematurely ending their back ups hot streaks. Pittsburgh did not and it was ridden til then end.

Again, play Raanta every game until he gets lit on 4+. I don't care if it carries until June. And I'm as Hank fanboii<3 as it gets.

Dan Ellis is one of the worst goalie Florida had and he was on one hell of a hot streak, they stuck a fresh from injury Lu in and it resulted in reverse progress Ellis made the previous few weeks.

I see your point and i am all for riding Raanta all the way down canyon of heroes. But realisticly that wont happen. What if Raanta's hot streak ends in late february/mars? Is there enough time then to play Hank into form? I mean i know Hank will get some starts here and there while we ride the hot hand but will it be enough? History has shown us that Hank needs to play for him to play out of his funk.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Don't we have like 37 games to play in the next two weeks? Hank will get his games in and "reclaim" his job.

I'm fine with Raanta though. He needed to answer the call with Lundqvist slumping/plethora of injuries and he has done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad