Player Discussion All-encompassing goaltending megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i wonder what happens when hank gets the next start and he either continues his spiral and gives up a softy or misplays the puck and it ends up in the net or just continues to struggle to find his game.

and then the reaction is this. " pretty sure anti raanta doesnt give up that goal" or "pretty sure we dont lose that game with raanta in goal".

and also " its not hanks fault because of this fancy stat or look at is overall career" stuff.

i wonder what happens ?

obviously prefer the defense continues to clamp down and henrik plays up to, or beyond, the level that raanta has showed the last 3 games.

the pressure is squarely on henrik lundqvist to show that he can (still) do what raanta did with the SAME defense.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
It would be nice if this team played defense in front of Henrik the same way it does in front of Raanta. This isn't a new trend either, they always tighten up in front of the backup for years now.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Raanta is still a backup goalie in my view. If, a big IF we eventually manage to reach playoffs with our current injuries - Henrik need to carry this defense to the cup final like in 2014. :D

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Every single thing Hank does for the rest of the season will be magnified. Maybe it should be. But it'd be a horrible thing to do to place everything squarely on his shoulders without recognizing that each moment is different.

There is no "Raanta would've stopped that" or "Hank would've let that in". That's not how this works.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It would be nice if this team played defense in front of Henrik the same way it does in front of Raanta. This isn't a new trend either, they always tighten up in front of the backup for years now.

After Raanta won the b2bs including a shutout, I doubt the Rangers tried to focus more on defense because he was in goal.

It didn't look like much defense was played last night vs NJD. They were able to walk in the zone and do whatever they pleased for the first half of that game.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Ryan Haggerty's value to the Rangers is proven. Could remain his greatest contribution to an NHL team for his entire career.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
After Raanta won the b2bs including a shutout, I doubt the Rangers tried to focus more on defense because he was in goal.

It didn't look like much defense was played last night vs NJD. They were able to walk in the zone and do whatever they pleased for the first half of that game.

Good thing there is stat based facts to tell otherwise, especially when the eye test tends to be somewhat biased.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Every single thing Hank does for the rest of the season will be magnified. Maybe it should be. But it'd be a horrible thing to do to place everything squarely on his shoulders without recognizing that each moment is different.

There is no "Raanta would've stopped that" or "Hank would've let that in". That's not how this works.

Well on the HF forum obviously, Raanta get more attention compare to Henrik so we create one mega thread: We can`t let the King get less attention for some weeks, right? :)
I don`t know to be honest.. Personally, I don`t look at it that way - our defense is still questionable with or without Hank. The main difference is that Raanta has stand on his head the last two games with amazing saves vs Hawks, and now against Devils last night.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

That will be magnified to the 100th percent, fair or unfair.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

in a perfect world, that is indeed true.

however, lets be reality.

what i described is exactly how this works, here.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Crazy thought: the team should play this way regardless of who is in net. There's no excuse especially with the offensive depth we have.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Crazy thought: the team should play this way regardless of who is in net. There's no excuse especially with the offensive depth we have.

The main weakness at the moment is our slow defense.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Is raanta the starter for the next while? Asking for my fantasy team.

It's a really unpredictable situation right now. I think Henrik could get in any one of these upcoming games. You can't just not play the best goalie in the world, even if his backup is red hot right now. The question is if AV keeps playing Raanta until he finally loses, or gets Hank in for a game regardless. With 6 in 10 nights coming up, Hank is going to play. The big question is how the games will be split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad