Player Discussion All Encompassing Goaltending Megathread: Part II

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Saving his own face by not taking more blame.

Like I've said before, this team never criticizes Hank and guys would rather play the martyr before calling him out. Hank conducts himself differently. He has no problem publicly placing blame on his teammates. IMO, criticism of others should take place behind closed doors or on the practice ice. I just don't like it. Let AV do the public calling out.

I keep rehashing the same things and repeating my opinion. I'm sure others are getting annoyed by this...as I am. I really want to stop, lol. Please stop asking me to repeat myself.

Seriously, I give up. I'm not responding to any more of this trash.

I'm done with this topic.

Honestly, you should give up. You're completely wrong here.

Those comments by Hank are in no way, shape or from an example of throwing his defense under the bus. The bulk of the statement is him taking responsibility for being bad and knowing he needs to be much better.

It seems like you're just hearing what you want to hear. The tone and content of what he's saying is largely pointing the finger at himself. Then after that also mentioning what he needs going forward to help him out of the funk, which is for the defense to tighten up. He's not just the goalie, he's basically the captain and leader of the team. He's allowed to comment about the performance of the team without it being him throwing the team under the bus.

The same way when Stepan or Mcdonagh comment on the play of the team in any given interview, it isn't them throwing the team under the bus, it is them giving honest assessments to the press about the team's performance. That's what the leaders on the team are supposed to do.

All goalies have had post game pressers where the tone of their interview is deflecting the majority of the defense and absolving themselves of blame, Hank included. He has done this in the past, same as all goalies have. This simply isn't an example of that.

SouthernRanger

Jun 24, 2016

I don't quite know what Adam Herman was trying to say with this article. Lots of "maybe's" and I get the feeling overall he is saying we should give Hank a bit of a pass. Did anyone else get that sense?

I am all for being patient while the King gets it together but I hope it doesn't come at the cost of too many games or worse, the season. All athletes go through this but we are still here to win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't think anyone is suggesting there is any other viable solution than letting him figure out whether he's still good or not. Gorton could try to make a bold move, and trade him, anticipating he's declined enough, but maybe other GM's will anticipate the same thing, and he won't be able to trade him.

Unless he continues to give up like 6 or 7 goals, I don't think Raanta is going to start over him. I think the team is aware that Hank finds his game or this team is done as a contender. The Rangers are not good enough to have an average goalie and contend. Not unless the defense plays a lot better, and the offense stays as the best in the league. Thats a lot to ask, and considering how the team is built, we expect our goalie to be our best player.

He'll get to the end of this year, and probably next year. If he doesn't find his game, I think they'll start transitioning him into a back up role. Its not ideal to have a back up making that much, but the team gave him too long of a contract.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If 12 months from now it's the same story for Lundqvist, then a course of action for managing the situation will be necessary.
It has been 12 months. I posted this in the other thread:

Ri1sQmC.png

This is going back to 2007-08:

career-lundqhe82.png

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I don't think anyone is suggesting there is any other viable solution than letting him figure out whether he's still good or not. Gorton could try to make a bold move, and trade him, anticipating he's declined enough, but maybe other GM's will anticipate the same thing, and he won't be able to trade him.

Unless he continues to give up like 6 or 7 goals, I don't think Raanta is going to start over him. I think the team is aware that Hank finds his game or this team is done as a contender. The Rangers are not good enough to have an average goalie and contend. Not unless the defense plays a lot better, and the offense stays as the best in the league. Thats a lot to ask, and considering how the team is built, we expect our goalie to be our best player.

He'll get to the end of this year, and probably next year. If he doesn't find his game, I think they'll start transitioning him into a back up role. Its not ideal to have a back up making that much, but the team gave him too long of a contract.

With an average goalie, the Rangers likely win 2 out of 3 games they've recently lost. So, I disagree there.

I think the defense will be okay if they trade for someone at the deadline, and get Staal back. So what you want about him, but Staal is still a legit top 4 d-man, and a minutes eater.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
It has been 12 months. I posted this in the other thread:

Ri1sQmC.png

This is going back to 2007-08:

career-lundqhe82.png

Thank you Auf for taking the time and effort. Looking at your graph it certainly shows a downward trend in Hanks play. However if you break down the months and exclude the 895 he had against the Pens during April it doesn't look as bad. Is it fair to assume his eye injury might have affected his play in the PO's?

2015/2016

oct: 943

nov: 929

dec: 892

jan: 922

feb: 934

mars: 906

april (PO): 895

If we take into account that he might have battled trough eye injury during april then honestly it doesn't look that bad to me. 4 arguably great months out of 6 total.

Lundqvist being affected by his injury in the playoffs is just speculation from my part.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I mean, if you exclude April, it's still a huge downturn. You're just lopping off a small portion of the year when he was already trending down. A trend that has continued all year this year. I don't see what that has to do to help your argument.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I mean, if you exclude April, it's still a huge downturn. You're just lopping off a small portion of the year when he was already trending down. A trend that has continued all year this year. I don't see what that has to do to help your argument.

I am not even going to argue this season, he has been bad, and the graph clearly shows a negative trend.

My argument is for those saying Hank had a bad season last year. While the graph shows a negativ trend in his play to date. Actual breakdown of the months for last season proves he had far from a bad season.

Last edited:

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
We all know Hank is not playing well. Why not take a different approach with this situation. I know Raanta is still injured but why not tell Hank to take a break from the rink, take a break come back after the AllStar break refreshed and ready to play. It is only 4 games. Play Hellberg and see what he is capable of doing. Bring Skapski from ECHL to back him up. Hank gets an almost 2 week mentally and physical break. That alone could do wonders for him.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
that dallas 5th goal was a back breaker of atrocious proportions. i mean an epic level fail.

I've watched it over and over- as well as live :shakehead and still cannot believe what i saw. we were back to 4-3 and had all the mojo working and then.

henrik completetly lost it. lost himself and the game. and on such a simple play.

or what should have been a simple, routine, hold the post tight kinda mundane ho hum stop against a weak attempted wrap around that never works, turns into a devastating back breaker, momentum killing whiff.

and like I've said before, he looked completely clueless while doing it. looking the other way while the puck is slid into the open side.

i mean, to give up that goal at that time was just..... i dont even have words.

and that is ALL ON HIM.

a microcosm of whats gone wrong for him. all in one play.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
that dallas 5th goal was a back breaker of atrocious proportions. i mean an epic level fail.

I've watched it over and over- as well as live :shakehead and still cannot believe what i saw.

henrik completetly lost it there. lost himself and the game. and on such a simple play.

or what should have been a simple, routine, hold the post tight kinda mundane ho hum stop against a weak attempted wrap around that never works, turns into a devastating back breaker, momentum killing, whiff.

and like I've said before, he looked completely clueless while doing it.

i mean, to give up that goal at that time was just..... i dont even have words.

and that is ALL ON HIM.

a microcosm of whats gone wrong for him. all in one play.

100% agreed, but guess what? he's human.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
100% agreed, but guess what? he's human.

see now thats not really the issue. we all agree. hes always been human.

its when hes failing, how hes failing and how many times the shots hes failing to stop seem harmless and routine yet end up in the back of the net.

the crisis of confidence isnt merely in hanks head. the entire team has lost some confidence in hank

thats scary.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I assumed he didn't because of his disdain for Adam Herman.

Well, he has good reason for that because of the subjective view of Herman. I follow the guy on Twitter but he certainly has an agenda.

Also, and I do not mean this as an insult, some people might not even read a tweet or article you post because without reading it is already perfectly clear whatever you quote is pro-Lundqvist, denying anything is his fault

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Well, he has good reason for that because of the subjective view of Herman. I follow the guy on Twitter but he certainly has an agenda.

Also, and I do not mean this as an insult, some people might not even read a tweet or article you post because without reading it is already perfectly clear whatever you quote is pro-Lundqvist, denying anything is his fault

That's a shame, but the link I posted wasn't any way pro-Lundqvist, it was a very objective view of whats going on this season. I shared it because I thought it was a good read and a great take on the situation which has caused lots of discussion here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad