Player Discussion All Encompassing Goaltending Megathread: Part II

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Remember that NYR D is atrocious and giving up way more HD shots then (almost?) any other team when looking at aufhebens chart. A NYR goalie posting a league average SV% is having a season well over league average after adjusting for shot quality.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Remember that NYR D is atrocious and giving up way more HD shots then (almost?) any other team when looking at aufhebens chart. A NYR goalie posting a league average SV% is having a season well over league average after adjusting for shot quality.

Except Hank isn't really all THAT bad with HD shots. He's been bad with MD and LD shots.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Except Hank isn't really all THAT bad with HD shots. He's been bad with MD and LD shots.

Imo that points to his struggles being largely mental. His confidence is all but gone, look at him talking to the media he looks further than lost. Every half decent shot went in last night, he didn't sharply decline off a cliff over one offseason or suddenly forget how to play. The defense needs to play a tight structured game in front of him to help him.

Hank carried ****** teams for a decade, time for the team to carry him through this and off rock bottom.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Only so much a team can do. The can tighten up on the HD opportunities...which will certainly help...but they can only block so many LD and MD chances. Goalies make the final stand for the team. No matter what, Hank has to help himself.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Imo that points to his struggles being largely mental. His confidence is all but gone, look at him talking to the media he looks further than lost. Every half decent shot went in last night, he didn't sharply decline off a cliff over one offseason or suddenly forget how to play. The defense needs to play a tight structured game in front of him to help him.

Hank carried ****** teams for a decade, time for the team to carry him through this and off rock bottom.

Yes they need to play tight and structured but to your second point - the NYR score 3.47 GPG. That's currently second in the league. How much does the offense need to do to "carry him through this"?

The offense has probably not been this good since '94. Shame whatever is happening with Lundqvist is happening now.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Yes they need to play tight and structured but to your second point - the NYR score 3.47 GPG. That's currently second in the league. How much does the offense need to do to "carry him through this"?

The offense has probably not been this good since '94. Shame whatever is happening with Lundqvist is happening now.

I also forget about defense sometimes.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

Thanks for pointing that out, do you honestly think I meant the offense needs
to do anything more than they've done in terms of scoring? Also last I checked forwards play defense as well so as far as the team "carrying him through this" the forwards are a part of that defensively.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Yep. Years ago I was making the system argument. Whatever, if you don't remember. Hope you don't think the offense stays the same if the forwards are better at back checking. Then you're looking at an entirely different set of problems.

But: our other team goalies recently have all statistically outperformed Lundqvist. Same team in front of them. Different results. They don't/didn't need to be "carried through".

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
For quick reference...Hank's last two talks to the press.

Dude are you really still trying to spin this your way? :laugh: In reference to what? You have already been told by other posters that you are grasping at straws. There is nothing in those pressers to prove your point.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Dude are you really still trying to spin this your way? :laugh: In reference to what? You have already been told by other posters that you are grasping at straws. There is nothing in those pressers to prove your point.

What are you going on about?

"Spin" implies that I'm making an argument. All I did was post Hank's 2 most recent press talks at the beginning of a new goaltending thread...no argument included.

I'll admit... part of me hopes that those who were misinformed by your spin actually watch the videos so they can gather an informed opinion based on the words from Hank's own mouth. :)

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Yep. Years ago I was making the system argument. Whatever, if you don't remember. Hope you don't think the offense stays the same if the forwards are better at back checking. Then you're looking at an entirely different set of problems.

But: our other team goalies recently have all statistically outperformed Lundqvist. Same team in front of them. Different results. They don't/didn't need to be "carried through".

Not all goals against hank come on odd man rushes, it's not about backchecking or taking anything away from the offense to help hank it's about playing better as a 5 man unit in the defensive zone. Raanta has certainly played better than hank but I honestly don't think this team plays the same in front of hank. They take way more chances and through this tenure have been much more reliant on hank backing them up than whatever backup is playing. Hellberg faced 4 shots last night in the third, completely
different team in the third.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

I agree.

Pointing at the breakdowns doesn't throw anyone under the bus, it illustrates whats going on through the eyes of the guy whos watching every play on the ice.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I agree.

Pointing at the breakdowns doesn't throw anyone under the bus, it illustrates whats going on through the eyes of the guy whos watching every play on the ice.

While pointing out the breakdowns is accurate (I agree with Hank that D is part of the problem)...he's still throwing people under the bus. He's sacrificing his teammates for selfish reasons, IMO. No one on the team calls out Hank, yet Hank does it all the time when the quality of his play comes in to question.

I think we're beating a dead horse at this point. Opinions won't be changed on either side. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
While pointing out the breakdowns is accurate (I agree with Hank that D is part of the problem)...he's still throwing people under the bus. He's sacrificing his teammates for selfish reasons, IMO. No one on the team calls out Hank, yet Hank does it all the time when the quality of his play comes in to question.

I think we're beating a dead horse at this point. Opinions won't be changed on either side. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Selfish reasons :shakehead

HE ADMITTED HE WAS BAD

THEN.....

As a team captain its his DUTY to call out the team, every leader on every sports team calls his team out when they put up a stinker, this has only been happening in sports since forever.

But yes, you have your opinion.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta

What's the selfish reason? He's just giving his honest take on it. He didn't call out the defense for ******** the bed, he just said he needs to find a way to make more of those saves.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
anybody wonder if hank is banged up in the head from that eakin hit from a few months back?

Wonder if his heads a little fuzzy and he isnt tracking the puck and making reads like he used to bc he's a little foggy........

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
anybody wonder if hank is banged up in the head from that eakin hit from a few months back?

Wonder if his heads a little fuzzy and he isnt tracking the puck and making reads like he used to bc he's a little foggy........

I'm sure the team doctors have already looked into that. Appears they didn't find anything. The hit could have very well had an effect on his play though, but in a psychological sense rather than medical.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
What's the selfish reason? He's just giving his honest take on it.

Saving his own face by not taking more blame.

Like I've said before, this team never criticizes Hank and guys would rather play the martyr before calling him out. Hank conducts himself differently. He has no problem publicly placing blame on his teammates. IMO, criticism of others should take place behind closed doors or on the practice ice. I just don't like it. Let AV do the public calling out.

I keep rehashing the same things and repeating my opinion. I'm sure others are getting annoyed by this...as I am. I really want to stop, lol. Please stop asking me to repeat myself.

He didn't call out the defense for ******** the bed, he just said he needs to find a way to make more of those saves.

Seriously, I give up. I'm not responding to any more of this trash.

I'm done with this topic.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Saving his own face by not taking more blame.

Like I've said before, this team never criticizes Hank and guys would rather play the martyr before calling him out. Hank conducts himself differently. He has no problem publicly placing blame on his teammates. IMO, criticism of others should take place behind closed doors or on the practice ice. I just don't like it. Let AV do the public calling out.

I keep rehashing the same things and repeating my opinion. I'm sure others are getting annoyed by this...as I am. I really want to stop, lol. Please stop asking me to repeat myself.

Seriously, I give up. I'm not responding to any more of this trash.

I'm done with this topic.

You are getting called out repeatedly because you are trying to point at something that isn't there.

"Saving his own face by not taking more blame"

The guy said that it all starts with him! That is literally taking all the blame.

Let me ask you this, with the love that the media has for controversy and them chomping at the bits to run with this goalie crisis angle, dont you think they would have run all the way to the bank if Hank was indeed blaming his team?

Maybe it is time for you to admit you might have read to much into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad