Speculation: All-encompassing Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I believe we'll make it. And I also believe we'll lose in four or five games. But if we make it we'll be drafting in the late teens or low 20's. Which is why you keep this pick this season.

So you're picking 15 now over most likely 16-22 next year, and I don't disagree with your reasoning.

But I just think that after you get past the top five or so, the chances of getting a line driving forward or a top pairing defenseman reduces substantially. So I personally think that ensuring that we don't botch that potential opportunity is of the utmost importance. Whomever we take at 15 isn't going to extend this window, nor be the building block we need for after this era, more likely than not. But if we struggle this season, which is likely, we could very well get that player next year.

We have two years with Geno and Letang signed. We can't wait for prospects to help for this window. But if we're committing to a rebuild, taking someone at 15 and not having a first next year isn't going to help much.

Give Minnesota 15. Next year if we're good, we trade the pick for someone who helps us maximize the window. If we're not, keep it and be thankful for the 93.3% chance that it'll be higher than 15.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Lundell is ranked #8 by Future Considerations, #8 by International Scouting Services, #10 by Elite Prospects, and #12 by Bob McKenzie. He could certainly fall to 15, but he's probably taken earlier.

Corey Pronman of the Athletic states in his updated mock draft that sources tell him we're linked to Lundell and Lukas Reinhart. He has us picking Lundell.

Reactions: dogthateats

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That was pretty brutal, the worst possible scenario for the Pens. Just what the Meteo needs is another potential superstar. Going to make making the playoffs that much harder in the twilight of Sid and Geno's careers.

And this makes what could be a VERY long off-season even longer.

Reactions: Andy99

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So you're picking 15 now over most likely 16-22 next year, and I don't disagree with your reasoning.

But I just think that after you get past the top five or so, the chances of getting a line driving forward or a top pairing defenseman reduces substantially. So I personally think that ensuring that we don't botch that potential opportunity is of the utmost importance. Whomever we take at 15 isn't going to extend this window, nor be the building block we need for after this era, more likely than not. But if we struggle this season, which is likely, we could very well get that player next year.

We have two years with Geno and Letang signed. We can't wait for prospects to help for this window. But if we're committing to a rebuild, taking someone at 15 and not having a first next year isn't going to help much.

Give Minnesota 15. Next year if we're good, we trade the pick for someone who helps us maximize the window. If we're not, keep it and be thankful for the 93.3% chance that it'll be higher than 15.
I think a lot of that depends on if JR can package that 15 with someone else to move up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That was pretty brutal, the worst possible scenario for the Pens. Just what the Meteo needs is another potential superstar. Going to make making the playoffs that much harder in the twilight of Sid and Geno's careers.

And this makes what could be a VERY long off-season even longer.

Why is it brutal? Given what the Pens did this year in the playoffs it is ideal. We get a top 15 pick (highest we’ve had since Pouliot).

Imagine we made it in and got swept by the Flyers and had to give up our 1st.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Corey Pronman of the Athletic states in his updated mock draft that sources tell him we're linked to Lundell and Lukas Reinhart. He has us picking Lundell.

Are those sources the Wild, Jets, Preds, Cats, Canes and Oilers? Otherwise, the Penguins' connections might not make much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lundell would be a good pick at 15, and I'm happy to see him popping up there in mock drafts. I'm just skeptical he is going to make it that far. Then again, the best case scenario for the Pens is an expected top-10 guy falling to them at 15.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Why is it brutal? Given what the Pens did this year in the playoffs it is ideal. We get a top 15 pick (highest we’ve had since Pouliot).

Imagine we made it in and got swept by the Flyers and had to give up our 1st.
Brutal because the #1 pick goes to a division rival. Thought I lined that out in the post.

But also tough in the realization that this was the best odds the Pens will have at #1 again unless they finish in the bottom 2 of the league. This was a great chance to help postpone the window close and bottoming out a for while.

15th overall doesn't quite move the needle the same way. Pens are a lot further than a mid first round pick from getting the roster turned around and returning to being a contender.

And that is why I said it is going to be a very long off-season. 5 months without hockey, then 4 days of ugly, disappointing hockey, and now who knows how long until the next season actually starts.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Brutal because the #1 pick goes to a division rival. Thought I lined that out in the post.

But also tough in the realization that this was the best odds the Pens will have at #1 again unless they finish in the bottom 2 of the league. This was a great chance to help postpone the window close and bottoming out a for while.

15th overall doesn't quite move the needle the same way. Pens are a lot further than a mid first round pick from getting the roster turned around and returning to being a contender.

And that is why I said it is going to be a very long off-season. 5 months without hockey, then 4 days of ugly, disappointing hockey, and now who knows how long until the next season actually starts.

Pasta and Debrusk are both picks taken around 15 that helped change the Bruins.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Pasta and Debrusk are both picks taken around 15 that helped change the Bruins.
Sure, we'll see how scouting goes. But there aren't many ready made guys at that spot. Those guys took about 3 years to be at a high production level (Pastrnak played in year 1, but Debrusk didn't make his NHL debut until year 3). Sid and Geno need help now, too, not just 3 years from now (G's contract expires in 2 years and who knows what happens then). This is another reason why I think you have to take this pick this year and not let Minny have it.

Look, I'm thrilled to have a first round pick. But I can't help but be disappointed by today's result.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sure, we'll see how scouting goes. But there aren't many ready made guys at that spot. Those guys took about 3 years to be at a high production level (Pastrnak played in year 1, but Debrusk didn't make his NHL debut until year 3). Sid and Geno need help now, too, not just 3 years from now (G's contract expires in 2 years and who knows what happens then). This is another reason why I think you have to take this pick this year and not let Minny have it.

Look, I'm thrilled to have a first round pick. But I can't help but be disappointed by today's result.

So we have Poulin and Legaré that we hope one of which is a top nine forward this year or next.

You have a good group of C prospects that can fill in the bottom six so if you get a solid C that can transition in when Malkin’s contract is up you potentially set yourself up. And you can decide whether Malkin becomes a de facto winger or Sid becomes a 3C in terms of usage.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
With how the pens ended the season and Rangers geting 1 overall. Im not sure keeping the pick is the best choice anymore.

I don't see us getting better next season. Only worse.
Carolina, Flyers and rangers will only get better next season. Caps will probably still be good. Making the playoffs are far from a sure thing.

What do we have to inject the lineup with? POJ and Poulin?
All of the teams above have prospects better than those 2 waiting in the wings. Also all of the above have young players that probably will be even better next season. We have Marino.

I really feel the 12.5% was a chance to save us from misery. Now I have no idea how to fix this roster tbh.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Right now I'd not be too happy about Lundell. I've seen too many people say solid 3C, nothing more, nothing less, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent line on what his attacking skillset is in the profiles that do talk it up. Skating issues too, although frankly I've now seen most of the likely top 15 described as needing work there so maybe not too bothered.

Reichel's interesting.

It always has to be BPA. If Askarov is there and he’s their BPA that’s who they should take. They really need an impact player whoever they pick. I’m hoping they package that pick with a player and move up.

Nobody's moved up from their pick to another pick in the top 10 in the last 10 years. The worst players to get top 10 picks traded for them were Schneider and Stepan, and they're about the worst by some distance.

Hoping to move up seems to be really hoping in vain.

Outside of the top 5 or so, this draft doesn’t seem as amazing as a lot of people make it out to be.

I think the super exciting players probably do down as deep as 10 or so. Like, this is all profile reading and clip watching so pinch of salt, but Laf/Byfield/Stutzle is a real deal top 3, then there's a super tight knot of forwards in Perfetti/Raymond/Holtz/Rossi/Quinn who all have real game changing NHL potential. Drysdale/Sanderson are highly ranked D prospects on the same level although if I'm honest, neither sounds like they've got the high end flash or the definite all round package to be a really likely 1D. Throw in Askarov and that's 10-11 great prospects.

After that you get a tier of Jarvis/Mercer/Lundell/Holloway/Perreault/Zary/Lapierre/Reichel/Gunler all kinda mixed together, with Schneider/Guhle as dmen that might get taken there... and given how high NHL scouts like to take dmen, I think there'd be more than I think and some forwards gonna fall, which right now is my prayer. I don't think we're dealing with super exciting players here - sure, maybe some do go top 10 some years, but they mostly seem to be the sort of guys who lack the skill blend or one outstanding speed to rise above the average.

But I do think this is at least an average, probably strong, class available at 15. And I think there's a strong possibility we see a guy fall. I really hope it's Quinn as a high motor high compete sniper sounds just dandy.

And tbh, without a faller, I wouldn't mind trading down if it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad