Speculation: All-encompassing Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Idk, I'd just move Zucker to RW and keep Lafreniere on LW. I don't see an issue with Guentzel-Crosby-Zucker and Lafreniere-Malkin-Rust.

But in reality, we should be hoping the Penguins aren't even in a position to get 1st overall.
TRUE. but the fact that this could be our best chance to replace a sid/geno that we are going to get in the next 15 years or so, is tempting. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
TRUE. but the fact that this could be our best chance to replace a sid/geno that we are going to get in the next 15 years or so, is tempting. :laugh:

Lafreniere isn't going to be at that level of good. He's more likely to fall in between Hischier and Matthews than he is to be the replacement for Crosby or Malkin. Not only that, but the Penguins getting Lafreniere now likely hurts their chance at bottoming out after Crosby and Malkin retire. Their cup window closes at that point, so getting Lafreniere may prevent them from doing the full blown rebuild that they'll need to do.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lafreniere is a winger...he’s not going to replace Sid or G and he’s not as “valuable” as a player to the Pens than a center would be...he’d help boost Cup chances the next couple years as Sid and G age out though...but the Pens best chances at a Cup are dwindling every year that passes...one reason I’d like to see the PO tourney go forward this year if it all possible

Reactions: Peat

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Lafreniere isn't going to be at that level of good. He's more likely to fall in between Hischier and Matthews than he is to be the replacement for Crosby or Malkin. Not only that, but the Penguins getting Lafreniere now likely hurts their chance at bottoming out after Crosby and Malkin retire. Their cup window closes at that point, so getting Lafreniere may prevent them from doing the full blown rebuild that they'll need to do.

I agree that we should hope the Pens aren't in a position to draft Lafreniere. This team is win now.

Buy I really dont care about him hurting their chances of bottoming out after Crosby retires. Teams bottom out for a chance for a player like Alexis. If he's not good enough to carry a post Crosby team (which I think he would be), blow it up by trading him for more young talent and rebuild.

Also, Crosby has five years left on his contract. Getting a superstar winger to help keep the team competitive during that time and to help support him with talent would be unbelievable.

I'd rather see a Cup run than anything this year. But somehow lucking into a #1 pick right now would be stunning.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I agree that we should hope the Pens aren't in a position to draft Lafreniere. This team is win now.

Buy I really dont care about him hurting their chances of bottoming out after Crosby retires. Teams bottom out for a chance for a player like Alexis. If he's not good enough to carry a post Crosby team (which I think he would be), blow it up by trading him for more young talent and rebuild.

Also, Crosby has five years left on his contract. Getting a superstar winger to help keep the team competitive during that time and to help support him with talent would be unbelievable.

I'd rather see a Cup run than anything this year. But somehow lucking into a #1 pick right now would be stunning.

I don't think there's any way that the Penguins would trade a ~23 year old Lafreniere and do this, though. I think it's more likely that they try to contend despite not having a contender-worthy roster, and fall into the dark purgatory of mediocrity in the NHL.

At this point in the NHL, teams become cup contenders through being bad. If you're in the mediocre range, it's incredibly difficult to get out of that by becoming good.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
I don't think there's any way that the Penguins would trade a ~23 year old Lafreniere and do this, though. I think it's more likely that they try to contend despite not having a contender-worthy roster, and fall into the dark purgatory of mediocrity in the NHL.

At this point in the NHL, teams become cup contenders through being bad. If you're in the mediocre range, it's incredibly difficult to get out of that by becoming good.

There's certainly a chance they could end up like Eichel and the Sabres. I don't disagree. But that's always going to be a risk. They could be facing a half-decade of thin drafts and bad lottery ball bounces after Crosby retires.

I just can't say picking #1 would be in any way a bad fate for this team or any team. Pens are in no way guaranteed a top 3 pick anytime soon post Crosby, no matter how bad they get.

I'd take my chances on building around a first overall pick who would be joining a winning team with a perfect role model to develop behind.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Off the charts hockey sense and imagination on offense starting with the 2018 World U-18s where he surprised his linemates with passes that could have been coming from a seasoned NHL pro. Fluid and fearless going inside the circles in the attack zone, where he steps out front to screen and set up for tip ins. Will be a solid attacking wing but might also find a home as a NHL centre with the way he easily makes his way inside. A smooth high speed heads up player who moves effortlessly through the attack zone with such good confidence and presence. Just don't try and categorizing him as a finese player[ because he will physically grind out with anyone, finishing his checks and is fearless on the forecheck. Doesn't necessarily fit the category of a blazer as he uses his hands more than blades to elude checkers.There is no denying how quickly he lets the puck fly, and how decisive he is while possessing it. Will fire cutting towards the net, and always has his stick down looking for the puck. Has displayed elite playmaking skills and a strong wall game. In a blink of the eye, he can come off the boards and drive on the net, draw attention and pass to his open teammate. Strong and difficult to move and not adverse to giving as well as submitting. Although he must improve his first step, he still manages to keep churning when carrying in the high traffic areas. It is his all around hockey abilities that round him as a guy who will build chemistry quicky with good NHL players and improve the attask of whichever team selects him early in the first. You has to see him as both finisher and offensiev generator/creator who will go get the puck when his teams himto help them catch up. seems like a guy that could be moved to center quite easly. imo

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Because there is nothing else to talk about, in a world of hypotheticals, if the Penguins won the lottery, they would have to consider seeing what is out there for trade as I think teams like Ottawa and Montreal would back up the Brinks truck for him. AL is a great player, but I'm not sure if he's that generational type of guy. If Ottawa were to trade 3 and 5, I'd seriously consider that.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If Ottawa were to trade 3 and 5, I'd seriously consider that.
Seriously doubt Ottawa would make that trade. Lafreniere is a good player but he's nowhere near generational to give up #3 and #5. That's how bad teams remain bad. Montreal may be dumb enough to try to move up but that's a big jump to make. Better money on them losing the series and seeing if they win the lottery with their own pick.

BTW - What happens with draft if they can't finish the season? To me, there is a point in time where say screw it and just start with a new season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Seriously doubt Ottawa would make that trade. Lafreniere is a good player but he's nowhere near generational to give up #3 and #5. That's how bad teams remain bad. Montreal may be dumb enough to try to move up but that's a big jump to make. Better money on them losing the series and seeing if they win the lottery with their own pick.

BTW - What happens with draft if they can't finish the season? To me, there is a point in time where say screw it and just start with a new season.

if they don’t play the rest of the season, then the 8 teams of the 24 teams left with the lowest winning point % will be in the second lottery with a chance at Lafreniere and then the rest will be slotted 9-15 based on that point %...

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

There have been reports that believes Ottawa would be interested. Dorion was actually asked if he would complete a deal like that and he said, "no comment."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because there is nothing else to talk about, in a world of hypotheticals, if the Penguins won the lottery, they would have to consider seeing what is out there for trade as I think teams like Ottawa and Montreal would back up the Brinks truck for him. AL is a great player, but I'm not sure if he's that generational type of guy. If Ottawa were to trade 3 and 5, I'd seriously consider that.

I don't think you double down when you've got a clear-cut #1 pick, especially when your mandate is to win for the next few years.

The alternatives might need a longer gestation that wouldn't line up with our window. Lafreniere should be a star winger right out of the box.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think you double down when you've got a clear-cut #1 pick, especially when your mandate is to win for the next few years.

The alternatives might need a longer gestation that wouldn't line up with our window. Lafreniere should be a star winger right out of the box.

I don't disagree. I do think however that whoever gets that 1st overall pick, they are going to have a crazy amount of interest in the pick.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Can we all just take a moment and laugh at the Red Wings fanbase for being so incredibly shitty to teams who build through high picks since the dawn of Hockey's Future getting screwed over by a stupid lottery that never should have been implemented in the first place.

It's pretty f***ing funny.
I despise the lottery. The worst team should get the best player. The Ironic part for the Pens is, though we were the worst team from 2004, we still won the lottery with Sid in 2005. And though we were the worst team in 2004 and lost the lottery, it probably worked out better for us because we ended up with Geno.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think you're significantly undervaluing just how good Lafreniere is and will be. Time will tell of course, but he's exceptional at slowing the game down and is easily the best playmaking winger since Kane.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

This is an unusually deep draft by many accounts. It may not just come down to how good Lafreniere is or isn't, it might be that the players going in the top five are reasonably close in ability and upside. That said I think Lafreniere is the real deal. He's not Malkin or Crosby or McDavid, but he's pretty damn good.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Can we all just take a moment and laugh at the Red Wings fanbase for being so incredibly shitty to teams who build through high picks since the dawn of Hockey's Future getting screwed over by a stupid lottery that never should have been implemented in the first place.

It's pretty f***ing funny.

Wings fans have long criticized the Pens - and, by extension, their fans - for benefiting from the draft lottery. All of a sudden, we're supposed to feel bad for them after they spent years turning their nose at high picks? For those with a twisted sense of humour, this is about as good as it gets.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
This is an unusually deep draft by many accounts. It may not just come down to how good Lafreniere is or isn't, it might be that the players going in the top five are reasonably close in ability and upside. That said I think Lafreniere is the real deal. He's not Malkin or Crosby or McDavid, but he's pretty damn good.

Yes, it's deep. However, Lafreniere is the only player who people think will be in the NHL next year (maybe you add Byfield to the mix). I've watched him play a handful of times, and he looks ready to move on. The only question is what type of numbers to expect from him in his first year.

Reactions: Ryder71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'd seriously consider taking 3 and 5 but ultimately I don't think I would. I suspect that 3 and 5 is probably going to win long term - there's a chance Byfield and Stutzle end up better than Lafreniere even without considering there's some serious talent available at 5 - but as pointed out, the gestation period thing heavily favours Lafreniere short term. Pinch of salt because I'm going from scouting reports, but Lafreniere should step right in be a top 6 impact player from the get go - only thing in question is how he copes with the league's pace. The other guys, it's possible that it takes them until d+3 to be that player.

Right now, this is a short term team. If we got Lafreniere, any trade for him would have to at least match his projected impact over the next three years.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd seriously consider taking 3 and 5 but ultimately I don't think I would. I suspect that 3 and 5 is probably going to win long term - there's a chance Byfield and Stutzle end up better than Lafreniere even without considering there's some serious talent available at 5 - but as pointed out, the gestation period thing heavily favours Lafreniere short term. Pinch of salt because I'm going from scouting reports, but Lafreniere should step right in be a top 6 impact player from the get go - only thing in question is how he copes with the league's pace. The other guys, it's possible that it takes them until d+3 to be that player.

Right now, this is a short term team. If we got Lafreniere, any trade for him would have to at least match his projected impact over the next three years.

The thing I'd question with Lafreniere is where he would fit on our roster.

Zucker and Guentzel likely are better now.

I think I'd probably go to the 3 and 5 pick tbh. Drysdale and a center prospect would be insane and Byfield can play wing.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing I'd question with Lafreniere is where he would fit on our roster.

Zucker and Guentzel likely are better now.

I think I'd probably go to the 3 and 5 pick tbh. Drysdale and a center prospect would be insane and Byfield can play wing.

You're not wrong about the question of where Lafreniere fits in should we get him but there's enough options - trying to load a 3rd line, moving a guy to RW, trading one of the other LWs - that I think we could get him contributing. But it's a wrinkle. There's also another slight wrinkle in that I'm not sure how many left-handed playmaking first stars a roster needs. Sid and Geno want shooters and fitting them all on PP1 would be awkward. I'm sure the talent would work but if we were to factory create a super high-end prospect to fall into our laps out of nowhere, fit wise, Lafreniere's about the last sort of guy we'd create.

That said, I think if were to try and move Lafreniere, I'd want something that can definitely contribute right away. I don't know what on earth that could be that would be fair mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad