All Encompassing Coaching Status Thread | TOR hire Paul McFarland as an Assistant Coach

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
where are you getting this nugget from?
It is fairly well known fact around team. I have heard it from quite a few different people. DJ is a very traditional defensive systems coach with a very well known history of implementing such in the OHL where he coached before Leafs. He was also your typical defensive defender when he played. The defensive and neutral zone systems the Leafs play are all Bab's. Except for PP which he turned over this season to Hiller.

Reactions: Menzinger

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Keene needs to stay with the Leafs/Marlies. We need him. DJ Smith on the other hand....I would not object to his departure or try to persuade him to reconsider his decision.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
I'm not saying Babcock can't be fired. He can be. What I am saying is, that it isn't just Dubas's call. He can recommend it, and it likely would happen. But, it could also turn against Dubas/Shanny due to the number of talented people they let leave the organization last year in this turnover.

Reactions: Menzinger

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Perfect timing for Smith and Toronto. Keefe needs to be retained though. I would like to see gradual promotion. Keefe as an assistant seems reasonable. As a head coach right away? Nah.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Keefe just got a fat AHL deal. According to Chris Johnson he is being paid like 3x more than the second highest paid coach in the AHL.

Last edited:

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Keefe just got a fat AHL deal. Apparently he is being paid like 3x more than the second highest paid coach in the AHL.
I’ve heard speculation about that but haven’t seen anything concrete??
If true that’s a duby saying you are my replacement not if but when.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Keefe just got a fat AHL deal. According to Chris Johnson he is being paid like 3x more than the second highest paid coach in the AHL.

Interested to hear actual numbers. What do AHL Head Coaches make anyway?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Doesn't speak to Shanny signing off, nobody really talked about the B of D.
Although Dubas might have authority to fire Babcock, I highly doubt he fires the highest paid coach in the League without discussing it with Shanahan or informing the MLSE BoD in advance.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Do we actually think that's DJ Smiths doing? That seems like a head coach move to me...that kind of hinges on the entire breakout/strategy doesn't it?
This. Watch DJ move to LA and have success there. Everyone will be surprised that his system is working. His lack of success here is the head coaches doing. Babs is a total helicopter coach.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This. Watch DJ move to LA and have success there. Everyone will be surprised that his system is working. His lack of success here is the head coaches doing. Babs is a total helicopter coach.
You forgot to add... ego maniac and control freak!

Reactions: Go4soda

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Offer Seattle Babcock in exchange for the Leafs able to keep their expansion pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad